I'm Taking The Plunge...

...into loose tenon joinery. I have plans for a jig, router bits, material, and measuring/marking equipment.

If any of you guys have tips, time savers, advice, etc., I'm all ears. 

For me, it's more affordable than a Domino, and faster, easier than M&T. Supposedly just as strong?

• Like 2

I did this for the first time last year and was happy with the process.

I bought the tenon stock (Lee valley), which was a nice time saver.

I used some quick, one-time plywood jigs/fixtures. Before I do it again, I'll probably build something nicer and reusable.

My only issue was the bushing on the router made it hard to clear out the dust - there just wasn't room for my dust collector attachment on the router to get the dust out around the bushing. So I cut until their seemed to be too much dust, then stopped to vacuum out the mortise. Took 2-3 cycles per mortise. I was cutting very small mortises (1/4"x3/4"), with larger ones I expect this may not be as much of an issue.

Have fun!

On 1/12/2024 at 6:52 PM, Coop said:

@Von, I’m sure I’m not using my noggin but how did you cut a mortise using a router bit that has a bushing? The only thing I can think of is using a slot cutting bit on a router table?

The other option is to make the top of the jig wider than the router base, then glue a couple base guides to the top, on either side of the router base. And a stop at the beginning and end of the mortise, on top of the jig. No bushing needed.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 7:52 PM, Coop said:

@Von, I’m sure I’m not using my noggin but how did you cut a mortise using a router bit that has a bushing? The only thing I can think of is using a slot cutting bit on a router table?

wtnhighlander has it right. Yeah, it seems like they should have two different names...

• Like 1

I'll confess that I now use a domino.  No particular reason, I just wanted it.  However, before getting it a couple of years ago I did all of my M&T joinery with the loose tenons.  I never used a jig, just the router guide that came with my router.  As said, strength isn't an issue.  Also, have you considered dowels?  I know that's a dirty word in some woodworking circles but Dowels are literally just round loose tenons.  They're more than strong enough for furniture building.  Unless you have an 800 pound pet gorilla!

• Like 2

https://toolstoday.com/v-6140-53410.html?glCountry=US&glCurrency=USD&ne_ppc_id=17670170525&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8aiPp4bsgwMVEhatBh2BdAX2EAQYAiABEgLjRPD_BwE

Before buying the festool I used a slot cutter on my router. Multiple size cutters are available and the cutters can be stacked.

The moment I bought the domino tool my efficiency and accuracy improved many fold. I also own the jumbo domino tool. If either of them went down I would replace it. After buying the tool I immediately sold my dedicated mortice machine. 

I bought mine on the first offering. Still going strong.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I built a mortising jig to use with a 5/8" bushing and a 3/8" bit. I couldn't see around the bushing to set up stop blocks at the lines. So, I trashed that idea. I saw a video where Marc used a big block of wood on either side of the project piece, sandwiched together, and clamped. That gives the router base a good surface to ride on. 

So I milled a matched pair of big blocks of wood, and tried it. Worked perfect. Set up with a spiral upcut bit, and NO bushing. Just the router base guide pushed firmly against the close side block, and a start and stop block added, to dictate the length of the mortise.

Everything worked perfect, and the 8 tenon glue up went perfect. Every joint locked up good, and the project stayed square. Despite me gluing up the whole project at once, instead of doing it in 2 steps.:P

• Like 2