Musclechuck - Initial Impressions

gee-dub

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a full size wrench for my table saw arbor nut. I make sure when I tighten it I hold the wrench lower, about the height of the original one. I'm always amazed at how easily the arbor nut comes off when I use the full size wrench.

Might go pick some up now for my routers.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 3:16 AM, curlyoak said:

Have you tried to situate the wrenches so they both fit in one hand and squeeze the 2 into 1? I try to do that.

That was always my preferred method. Father Time is a cruel dude.

On 2/9/2024 at 6:42 AM, legenddc said:

I bought a full size wrench for my table saw arbor nut. 

Agree. The supplied wrenches with the Saw Stop and the Milwaukee routers should be standard. :)

Using real tools to work on your tools is a pleasure. Wimpy wrenches and weak collet locks are as dangerous as a dull knife.

• Like 2

This method gives good torque without overdoing it.

twowrenchtechnique.JPG.f4646d841589f38de556e82b57527be9.JPG

By using one hand and squeezing I would get things tight enough, no slip, and easy release when done.  The Musclechuck is just as effort to make things more comfortable with my new reality.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 8:06 AM, Chestnut said:

I use 2 full size adjustable wenches on my router colletts I probably over tighten them. I had a bit slip once and that wasn't fun lost a good work piece.

I don't use adjustable wrenches for anything.  Right out of college my only job and experience as an employee was working at a FBO at RDU airport for three months.  The mechanics were not allowed to have either adjustable wrenches or automatic center punches in their toolboxes under threat of being fired.  That just always stuck with me.  That job was enough for me to decide that I did not want to be an employee, but had nothing to do with the wrench rule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

I don't use adjustable wrenches for anything.  Right out of college my only job and experience as an employee was working at a FBO at RDU airport for three months.  The mechanics were not allowed to have either adjustable wrenches or automatic center punches in their toolboxes under threat of being fired.  That just always stuck with me.  That job was enough for me to decide that I did not want to be an employee, but had nothing to do with the wrench rule.

Oh i hear you loud and clear. The only place my adjustable wrenches get uses is on router chucks. It started mostly because the stamped wrenches that come with most routers are so awful i rounded a chuck with the wrench they sent with the tool.

• Sad 1

On 2/12/2024 at 9:06 AM, Tom King said:

I had a whole stack of those stamped wrenches somewhere, never used.  I may have thrown them away.

As well you should :D.  There are some that are stamped from an adequate gauge of material to be safe / useful.  I'm sure we have all had some of those that are not for routers, tablesaw, circ-saws, who-knows what.  I often laugh at myself when I find a cache of "stuff" that should have been tossed from the git-go and was saved for some reason I cannot possibly defend.

• Like 2