Miter Saw Alignment

CubsFan

I've been having a problem with my miter saw. It seems like when I'm making a cut, many times the blade deflects slightly about halfway through the cut. So the stop half of the board is right, but the the bottom half defects a little bit to the side, making an uneven cut.

It's a 12" Dewalt miter saw. It also seems to happen more when making a cut toward the end of a board versus in the middle of the board.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks!

The 12" DeWalt cuts fine for me. If it's worse when you cut near the end of the piece, I suspect that the wood might be moving during the cut. Try clamping both sides of the wood. Or if you are cutting close to the end, clamp a stop block on the short end and clamp the longer end. Then, don't touch the wood while cutting.

do you have another blade, if so change out the blades and see if that helps. seems like if it was a motor bearing it would be makeing a terrible noise. good luck

You would think, but it is a loud tool anyway. That can mask weird sounds and ticks.

Is the spacer in the blade. What blade are you using. If the blade was warped it would just cut a larger kerf. A cheap thin blade could deflect.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at these things when I get home tonight. Certainly could be that the wood is moving, so I'll clamp that down tight and see how it goes.

When you talk about the spacer in the blade, what are you referring to? Just want to make sure I'm checking the right thing.

I have the 80 tooth one of these in it:

http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DW3128P5-12-Inch-12-inch-Crosscutting/dp/B00005A1H8

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at these things when I get home tonight. Certainly could be that the wood is moving, so I'll clamp that down tight and see how it goes.

When you talk about the spacer in the blade, what are you referring to? Just want to make sure I'm checking the right thing.

I have the 80 tooth one of these in it:

http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DW3128P5-12-Inch-12-inch-Crosscutting/dp/B00005A1H8

The blade has a one inch hole but the saw has a 5/8 arbor. There is a spacer that has to be changed from blade to blade. Leave it out and it can cause problems.

I would almost put money on it that your blade is getting dull. A dull blade will seem to cut all right on cuts where the cut is supported by the stock, when you are cutting the edge off your stock it is easier for the blade to deflect a little than cut straight. I have had this happen to me on my 12" Porter Cable, had the blade sharpened and it cut perfectly. Let us know how you turn out.

Nate

Reiterating here; blade sharp, work piece moving, check alignment with table fence etc... what are you cutting? Some wood moves as you cut it I had a number of boards do this out of the same pile as I relieved the pressure on the top of the board it would sort of pop then the bottom of the cut was slightly off the line??? Hope you figure it out.

Ok, finally got out to take a look. And the winner is.... super dull blade! For some reason I hadn't thought to check that. Guess I thought that my blade was way newer than it actually was. Anyway, put a new blade in and it's working great.

Thanks for the help!