A few shop pics

Southwood

I guess if I am going to play here, I should offer up a couple pictures. My shop is small. Like one side of a 2 car garage, small. I like it and it works well for me, for now.

First up is my redneck DeWalt track saw. I have a 4 foot and 8 foot version. It actually work well for breaking down sheet goods.

post-298-0-33070400-1311373467_thumb.jpg

Then we have a tower rack, for lack of better words. All my bench mounted tools go here. I have a small cabinet that they sit on. I can just pull one off the rack and place it on the cab.

post-298-0-60019800-1311373597_thumb.jpg

Here is a ring I had to make. More on it later.

post-298-0-66516300-1311373651_thumb.jpg

My miter bench. I can cut 8"3" left and a little over 3' right. The reason I built it this long was for the storage beneath.

post-298-0-11550900-1311373793_thumb.jpg

Here are a few shots of the dust collection for the miter saw. The earlier ring is placed under the saw, to draw down the fines. A shop vac hooks to the regular port on the saw.

post-298-0-36197700-1311373935_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Couple more of the dust collection

post-298-0-09500500-1311374051_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-36888300-1311374076_thumb.jpg

Here is the mobile base for my drill press. Works well for my application.

post-298-0-99695000-1311374144_thumb.jpg

The table I made for the drill press. I really like how it turned out. Great function.

post-298-0-75343100-1311374227_thumb.jpg

Seeing how ever wood worker shop needs a bench, I added this to the front of my miter bench.

post-298-0-14373700-1311374299_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And we keep going

post-298-0-73381700-1311374397_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-09180500-1311374439_thumb.jpg

A plane till I made out of Cherry. I really like this. Easy to build and useful to boot.

post-298-0-46522200-1311374516_thumb.jpg

As you can probably tell I used a lot of cherry on this stuff. I got a great deal on a stack here lately. Ended up with over 800 bd ft at 75 cent a foot.

• Like 2

Nice shop Southwood I really like the mobile base on the drillpress I move mine around with an appliance dolly. I wish we had cherry locally, but living in western Washington state we have fir, hemlock, alder, maple, and western cedar. Everything else like cherry, and walnut is shipped here so pretty pricey. Thanks for the tour. Dave

can I ask what the tracks near the fold up bench are for?

One set is for holding down my grinder and the other set is for holding down my mortiser. Both will be mounted to boards and the hold down clamps should hold them securely to the bench. I haven't tried this out yet. The bench hasn't been put together very long. it should work, I did a quick mock up before I did it. I just haven't tried it for sure yet.

great shop and cool cabinetry, i have that same drill press, i thought my table on it was pretty cool until i saw yours. the tower rack is next on my list. any more details on that would be very helpfull thanks. HAMMER

I had a big reply all typed up and lost it. It would probably be better for pictures anyways. I will try and get some up in a day or two.

One set is for holding down my grinder and the other set is for holding down my mortiser. Both will be mounted to boards and the hold down clamps should hold them securely to the bench. I haven't tried this out yet. The bench hasn't been put together very long. it should work, I did a quick mock up before I did it. I just haven't tried it for sure yet.

Clever thinking! Better than screwing into the top all the time. I usually use a clamp or two to lock a tool down.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome shop Southwood...I have a file on the computer where I store copied pictures from all of the shops I see. Your shop is immortalized! Your drill press base is a like most of the great ideas...simple but very practical. I'd be interested to know, did the drill press table idea come from you or did you find it somewhere?

• 1 month later...

i like your shop i love seeing how people save space by combining stuff and seting things up so they can build in tiny cramped spaces. i saw in a magazine this guy built rolling carts that fit under his counter that he just rolled out and then he use scroll saw/planer/ect while siting in a chair. might save you some work taking out to put on counter and it seems like you have lots of storage under your bench. i realy like how you mounted your drill press to a cart do you notice any shifting or vibrations when your runing you drill press? i would like to see how you have your work bench is mounted to the counter i would worry that it would not hold strong and level with serous work. is there a sume kind of joint that holds it against the counter.

• 2 weeks later...

Would you mind giving some of the dimensions on the till? I'm trying to figure out if I can do something similar, but I don't have quite as many planes as you do. (Some are in the future plans, and I want to accommodate them without having them in my possession.)

By the way, if I remember correctly, Wood Magazine had that tower plan for the tools. (I was looking at their version, anyway. I built the tool table they did, and looked into the tower until other things happened.) And a few months ago Woodcraft's magazine had a drill press table.

How did you mount the table to the drill press? I spent some time a few months ago squaring two sides of a fender washer trying to get them to fit in the slots on the bed, and was looking for easier ways to mount it to the tool.

I like your drill press mobile base. I made one like it.

I had one of the Rockler mobile bases where you connect the corners with wood, and it was all well and good. But the front wheel got in the way. This is perfect, as when I roll it against the wall there is about 2" of clearance from the back of the drill press and the wall, and I can get a foot close drill press if I need the leverage.

• 2 months later...

Been making improvements to the shop since last I posted. I have gotten a Powermatic PM1200 to clean the air better. A Wynn filter for the dust collector and a respirator for myself. I just finished up this cart today. Not really finished, but finished for now. I like to wait on drawers, until I know what goes where. This is another plan from a magazine that I cannibalized.

post-298-0-60650700-1325723955_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-92534400-1325723991_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-92383000-1325724040_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-13710400-1325724084_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-15253000-1325724117_thumb.jpg

i like the slide outs i do things in over kill i would have had the entire front slide out with 50 holes and then ended up only using like 5 holes. yesterday i had to tack in a nail and could not find myhammer so i pick up a sledge hammer :) worked but my arm hurt from trying not to smash my joint.