Ridgid R4512 Table Saw

jtooley75

Does anyone have or know someone that has the Ridgid R4512 table saw? I am a hobbyist looking to upgrade a cheaper craftsman TS. This one looked pretty good for it's price and as I said, I'm more of a weekend warrior right now, so investment in a professional TS is out of budget.

I just recently got this table saw and I would give it a 7 out of 10. I like the fact that it is cast iron but I would like if the extensions were also cast iron, they are made of aluminum. Also the fence is made of two sections, I guess this is a personal preference but it could potentially throw off a cut. this saw did pass the nickel test by the way. But overall, after buying a good quality blad this saw will do you good for years to come.

I recently came very close to buying this table saw to help supplement my all hand tool shop and ability to do speed up the process on certain projects. I decided against it because it just was not the table saw I wanted or needed. Don't get me wrong it's better than most contractor grade saws and should serve as a good saw for you but I think you will find that is has limitations and will eventually upgrade. I am happy continuing to progress as a hand tool wood worker and when the time comes I will get a table saw but I will not compromise, so if that means I have to wait 3 years I will wait. I guess you need to decide if you need a table saw now or not. I imagine Scott Spencer (AKA Knotscott) will reply, he is the guru when it comes to table saws and gave me some good advice when I asked. Good Luck!

James

I just looked up the ridgid table saw you asked about, I don't have that model, but I have the ridgid TS2424 and it looks real similar to your model except mine has cast iron wings and table. I've had my saw for about 15yrs now it is an excelent saw, I've always wanted a unisaw, but this was the saw that wasn't going to break the bank, haven't had any major problems with it. I like the fence, it stays consistently square and with a good blade the cuts are glass smooth, vibration dosen't seem to be a problem. I think you could do alot worse for a starter saw, if I had an unlimited budget I'd have the unisaw, that being said I've made many prodjects, and any disapointments I've had along the way had nothing to do with the old ridgid TS2424. Dave

Does anyone have or know someone that has the Ridgid R4512 table saw? I am a hobbyist looking to upgrade a cheaper craftsman TS. This one looked pretty good for it's price and as I said, I'm more of a weekend warrior right now, so investment in a professional TS is out of budget.

The R4512 gets mainly good reviews, and it puts you into a better class of saw. You might run into a nice deal on a good used saw, but as new full size saws go on the current market, I don't think there's much else that's significantly better near this price point, and some definitely have less going for them. The saw is made by Dayton, and has very little in common with other Ridgid table saws except for the name plate, size, and duty class. It has table mounted trunnions, steel wings, aluminum fence, and an inboard belt drive induction motor that can run on 120v or 240v. If you like, the steel wings can be upgraded with nearly any 27" deep cast iron wing made...some drilling might be required but CI drills pretty easily. The fence might work out fine for you, but is also easily upgradeable down the road if you like....it comes with the saw, so is worth a try. The R4512 is nearly identical to the current Craftsman 21833, but Ridgid's warranty is better, and the fence looks to be a little nicer. The Porter Cable PCB270TS is comparably priced and is in the same class, but I prefer both the fence and the guts of the Dayton models. To do much better you'd have to up your price range to $700-$900 for something like the Steel City 35990C, Grizzly G0715P, Craftsman 22116, or Jet Proshop (708482k), which would offer more mass, nicer fences, and some have full enclosures. Once setup properly and fitted with a good blade, you'll never be able to tell which saw did the cutting. You might find a 10% coupon somewhere, and some HD's will honor the Harbor Freight 20% coupon.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your purchase!

...Hey knotscott, I did not know some home depot's accepted Harbor Freight coupons. Why is that? I also think I would have to get this model online because no H.D. in my area has it on their floor anymore. Not sure why.

HD has a policy of accepting competitor's coupons....it varies by store and manager....some just accept it without question, others make you use it only for a similar item, and some only accept them for an exact in stock item. It never hurts to ask, and it only takes one "yes" to get the discount. Will your local store order the R4512 for you? If so, then they might take the coupon.