anti-fatigue mats substitute

duckkisser

ok im trying to find something that i can use as a fatigue mat that is durrable and washable. i want to get something that is cheap and plentiful. i need this to use in my class rooms shop class. the class room is 3000 square feet and we have several assembly stations and machines so i want to be able to place a mat around our 2 assembly tables 8 feet by 8 feet. along the counter top where our small machines like sanders and miter saws. need to be able to get this prity cheap and plentiful. so if you have any ideas that are outside the box let me know.

not a bad idea ill call farm and fleet and see how much it would cost......hoping to get this cheap or donated......school is poor if anyone can think of a company that would make something or have excess of something that would work. for instance i found a place that pulled up there base ball diamond and it has a rubber padding under the soil and they were selling off the old padding.

stall matts no go they are just just too hard might as well buy a stone pad maybe if a weigh just over a ton then i would give under me but then i could not stand and the the matt would only be good as a bed to live on for rest of life. but they are priced right at 30 dollers for 4x6. the rubber pavers 5.75 for 1 foot by 1 foot. made from used tiers is a maybe but i am not shure how well they would hold up. i know they are for side walks and what not but then again its just glued together chunks of rubber. and then i thought about carpet samples maybe if a put a couple together they would be thick enough but they would wear down very fast.

uggg hate going to box stores asked some kid there if i can get a larger piece of the rubber pavers to use as anti fatigue mat and he goes whats a anti fatigue mat.........i looked at him stupidly for a moment......its a mat that takes away the fatigue in your legs and back for people that stand in one place a long time.........his response i need one of those i walk all over the place during the day........again i look at him dumbfounded that anyone can be that dumb. i know im not the brightest but never have i felt that much smarter then someone that was not in one of my deverlopmently delayed classes. dont think he had any mental problems he was just stupid........oh and he had one of those pieces of metal shapes placed under the skin of his hands i think it was small horse shoes. lets not get started on that subject and im a young guy who understands tats and piercings.

I agree about the stable mats. Yes, some are 'cheap' and can be still viable options if you can figure out how many $/year of service you expect to get out of each. Replacing 'cheap' matts could be enough cheaper to make it worthwhile. Gotta run the numbers to be sure.

You could also check on covering areas with cork, especially cork flooring. It might not be worth it, but is worth considering.

From what I have seen, educational use is as hard or harder than 'industrial' use. So bullet proof solutions are often better even if they cost considerably more.

I used a few layers of under carpet foam padding at my lathe for quite a while. It worked great, but I never thought about adding ply on top. That's a great idea. I've since gone to a pad I got from another ww'r in my turning club since my carpet pad was starting to wear out without that plywood top layer.

Have you considered forgetting the mat concept all together and going with hardwood flooring? I know you said that the school is poor, but the money for something like new flooring may come from a different pot of $$ and be more available. In addition, it is safer for the students to have as few tripping hazards as possible on an unfamiliar floor, and it is certainly easier on the back than concrete.

Lawrence

man they are kids I wouldnt even waste any money on mats at that age I dont think many are gonna have a problem standing for an hour and honestly they would become more of a tripping hazard than a bonus. It would be different if this was a classroom full of 30-40+ year olds but any kid under 20 that cant stand on a hard floor for an hour without their feet hurting needs to stand on the floor for an hour to toughen up their feet anyway.

[...] As far as the "glued together rubber bricks from old tires" go, well, they make stall mats out of them, so...

There is a guy locally who made his millions buying worn out tires and turning them into bar mats. The ones the bartenders walk on not serve drinks on. His company's process is a little more extreme than "slice tire into strips and rivet together," but that's the boiled down version of what they do. I'd suggest not using steel belted radials for this.

It shouldn't be too hard to find some old rubber tires, and one tire goes a long way. (Sorry, couldn't resist that one.) Get a new blade for a band saw and cut them yourself into 3/4" strips, rivet them together to create a "woven" look, place a small sheet of ply across the top, you should be fine.

not a bad idea but i think that it wold be best to just buy one at a time that way i dont have to worry about liabilities (pain being a non profit school that is paid by the state) and yes the kids are under 20 but i want them to realize that they need this stuff for when and if they get a shop. plus its a pain for me to stand on it for longer then a min.

Personally haven't tried this; but I've worked in the mining industry for years and we are regularly asked for pieces of used conveyor belt for use in horse stables and on industrial

shop floors. My only suggestion in a shop environment would be to ask for non steel cable reinforced belting. This material is often available in 12" - 60" widths and many of my previous employers would give it away because its difficult and expensive to dispose of properly. Rock Quarries would be my first suggestion on where to begin your search if you're interested!

Conveyor belting may not be the most beautiful solution, but I can't image there being a more durable!!!

Here is a "thinking outside of the box" idea.

Or thinking about the box...

2 or more layers of card board. This is what I use in some cases. Works well and you can mix or spill paint or stain on it. Plus it gives you an excuse to buy something huge like and new table saw - just for the card board : ).

It is easy to replace and can be found at furniture stores or other places that sell large items like Sears.

With a small amount of effort you can cut, bend (a gentle score with the back of the blade of shut scissors helps) and tape the card board edges. The mats look fine in the shop, and I have noticed a difference from using them.

I mostly use them where I stand and work in one spot a lot. Generally speaking it is free if you reuse discarded card board.

Be aware there are a number of grades of card board, some will flatten the first time you stand on them and other are pretty tough.