earlex

jimmykx250

I actually reviewed a couple of their units on my site. Which specific unit are you looking at? From the price it sounds like it might be the 5000.

By the way, pretty much all of Earlex's lower-priced offerings are a good bang for the buck.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-45-music-to-my-earlex/

Does anyone own one of these=

i think wood craft sells them for 300 bucks. I would love an hvlp system but im not spending big bucks on a high end unit. Any reviews would be greatly apperciated. Thanks,

i

Jimmy,

I purchased this unit based on many reviews but especially Mark's. His video was excellent in covering the pros, cons and maintenance of the unit. I have watched it a number of times even after purchasing the unit just as a refresher.

It works very well. Cleanup is easy. It is also very forgiving in terms of which needle to use with which material. I really have nothing negative to say. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. Good coverage, light weight, and easy to take apart.

I purchased mine from Woodcraft for $339, which included 2 needles rather than one. The last time I looked, I noticed that McFeeley's sells the replacement needles for $40 while Woodcraft is $10 higher.

Neill

I bought the 5000 about 6 months ago and have used it to finish 3 pieces now. (I took footage of it and it will be coming in a podcast shortly) I really like it. I have little to no experience with spraying so it was a little scary to jump into this. I did had 4 test boards ready to go and ended up only needing 1. With only 2 adjustment points there is little to mess up and you can quickly get it tuned up to the fan pattern and volume you want. I was spraying shellac and the clean up was a little more intense than water based but it was really easy. I cannot see myself ever needing any more than the 5000 provides and you cannot beat the price. I also bought the 1 mm needle to augment the 1.5 mm that came with the gun.

I have had my unit for a couple of years and have had not problems with it. Have the extra needle kits to spray different materials , but can usually just use the 2mm needle that comes standard. Will probably look at upgrading to their 3 stage unit within the next year, just because I am using it almost daily now.

• 1 month later...

I bought the 5000 about 6 months ago and have used it to finish 3 pieces now. (I took footage of it and it will be coming in a podcast shortly) I really like it. I have little to no experience with spraying so it was a little scary to jump into this. I did had 4 test boards ready to go and ended up only needing 1. With only 2 adjustment points there is little to mess up and you can quickly get it tuned up to the fan pattern and volume you want. I was spraying shellac and the clean up was a little more intense than water based but it was really easy. I cannot see myself ever needing any more than the 5000 provides and you cannot beat the price. I also bought the 1 mm needle to augment the 1.5 mm that came with the gun.

Hi All,

After talking with Paul and watching the podcast from Marc, (thanks Paul and Marc) I steped up and bought the Earlex 5000 unit. The paint store has a great price right now, check it out and if your thinking about buying one now could be the time! I also used Goggle and saved another $20.00 :)

Here's the linky

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Earlex_HVLP_Paint_Sprayer_HV5000_p/hv5000.htm

Thanks Guys

NYHump

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

After talking with Paul and watching the podcast from Marc, (thanks Paul and Marc) I steped up and bought the Earlex 5000 unit. The paint store has a great price right now, check it out and if your thinking about buying one now could be the time! I also used Goggle and saved another $20.00 :)

Here's the linky

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Earlex_HVLP_Paint_Sprayer_HV5000_p/hv5000.htm

Thanks Guys

NYHump

Sweet deal NYHump.... Thanks for the link. Just ordered it!

I've been checking the price on the Earlex every once in a while since seeing Marc's podcast "Music to My EARlex" a couple years ago and this is the first time I've seen it below the $299 price tag. That was enough for me to...ehhem...pull the trigger ;)

With shipping and the free long sleeve T-shirt it came to $276.79.

Should be here in a few days, I'm excited! Thanks so much for the post!

-Al

I have not used my 5000 yet but plan to soon, mine came with a 2mm needle. If you would buy just 1 additional needle what size would you get ( I plan to do mostly water borne finishes). Also, I saw Marc's great review on the 5000 and it showed him using paper filters to strain the finish. I looked up filters and they cone in differant grades. What would be the better grade, med or fine mesh?

I hate to say it but i bought one of these about 6 months ago and have not used it yet! And I want to, but am new to spraying, looked inot laquer, but never used it before and could not find it at any of the online stores I use, which is crazy they must stock it?. Anyway I like shellac, so how does it go on? How many coats and do you have to rub out any? What lb cut would you use?

To get a feel for it, load it up with water and spray the driveway. Very obvious how the spray pattern knobs are working that way and costs nothing. You don't want to learn with a sticky pot of shellac! When i got my gun, I did that as well as spraying large cardboard boxes to know how the spray works when it hits corners of enclosed boxes.

You can get lacquer at paint stores like Sherwin-Williams and Frazee (local to South-West). I'd guess it's available at Dunn Edwards, too. I go to the other two, though, cuz they are next to my house.

I hate to say it but i bought one of these about 6 months ago and have not used it yet! And I want to, but am new to spraying, looked inot laquer, but never used it before and could not find it at any of the online stores I use, which is crazy they must stock it?. Anyway I like shellac, so how does it go on? How many coats and do you have to rub out any? What lb cut would you use?

I've been doing something less than a 2 lb cut - take it from the Zinser gallon then add some alchol - maybe 1.5ish. Put on a coat or two then sand it, add another two or three coats. Gives a very nice gloss finish, rub out if you want a lower sheen.

Well...it arrived via UPS yesterday (with the free paint store.com t-shirt). The box was a little beat up, but thankfully nothing was damaged. However, I did notice that someone crossed out "2 spraying masks" with a black sharpie on the list of what is included in the box. I can only assume that someone took them out when they put the t-shirt inside. Going to break it in later today and see what it's all about.

A side thought, not sure if any of you guys who own it feel this way, but I kinda want to chop off the handle. It's a little annoying and obnoxious that it stands so tall and cannot be removed or does not retract. It makes it difficult to store...does not fit under the bench or on a shelf. My only thought on where to store is to hang it under the drill press table!

The interior of this tool cabinet I am working on was sprayed (before attacing the back boards) with the earlex. 4 coats on the interior. The door panels in the second pic is not the final finish. That is just 2 with no sanding yet, enough to assemble the door. I'll sand it and spray the entire door this weekend.

post-989-007441800 1287667544_thumb.jpg

post-989-003381200 1287667665_thumb.jpg

Chris....use water in the guns cup for the first time out...get a feel for your adjustment knobs on the gun. Then I suggest you jump right in and load the gun with water-based finish. Why? because its the future and is easier to clean the gun of water-based finishes, not to mention cheaper :rolleyes: its only soap and water, remember to flush the gun out with DN alcohol (this helps dissipate any residual water left behind in the gun that could cause corrosion within the gun.

Get a few cheap boards, hell, even glue them up to simulate a table top or something, sand them to 180 and start spraying horizontal. Beginning sprayers typically spray to dry, not getting enough material on the wood. Think about how wet you brush a finish on wood. You want to spray... just wet enough not to get runs :(

I like to spray water-based and shellac in thin coats. Lacquer, sometimes will spray a little wetter. Spray in a cross-hatch pattern. Try not to get the gun moving to fast, (sorta like drawing a straight line with a sharpie marker, the faster you pull the marker across the paper, the less marker ink is applied to the paper) Set your fan to about 6" and you want to use overlapping passed half the fan width, which is 3" in this case. It helps to spray in a raking light across your surface, you need to see how wet your spraying and proper overlapping.

It takes time and practice and little money in finish (yes money) to figure it out....once you do its like riding a bike, you never forget. Don't give up...keep learning, soon you will have glass smooth finishes coming right off the gun you won't have to sand :) :) :) :) :)

-Ace-

To get a feel for it, load it up with water and spray the driveway. Very obvious how the spray pattern knobs are working that way and costs nothing. You don't want to learn with a sticky pot of shellac! When i got my gun, I did that as well as spraying large cardboard boxes to know how the spray works when it hits corners of enclosed boxes.

You can get lacquer at paint stores like Sherwin-Williams and Frazee (local to South-West). I'd guess it's available at Dunn Edwards, too. I go to the other two, though, cuz they are next to my house.

Hey thanks for the reply, it's motavational. I was hung up on which finish, but water is easy and from there hopefully it will grow!

Chris....use water in the guns cup for the first time out...get a feel for your adjustment knobs on the gun. Then I suggest you jump right in and load the gun with water-based finish. Why? because its the future and is easier to clean the gun of water-based finishes, not to mention cheaper :rolleyes: its only soap and water, remember to flush the gun out with DN alcohol (this helps dissipate any residual water left behind in the gun that could cause corrosion within the gun.

Get a few cheap boards, hell, even glue them up to simulate a table top or something, sand them to 180 and start spraying horizontal. Beginning sprayers typically spray to dry, not getting enough material on the wood. Think about how wet you brush a finish on wood. You want to spray... just wet enough not to get runs :(

I like to spray water-based and shellac in thin coats. Lacquer, sometimes will spray a little wetter. Spray in a cross-hatch pattern. Try not to get the gun moving to fast, (sorta like drawing a straight line with a sharpie marker, the faster you pull the marker across the paper, the less marker ink is applied to the paper) Set your fan to about 6" and you want to use overlapping passed half the fan width, which is 3" in this case. It helps to spray in a raking light across your surface, you need to see how wet your spraying and proper overlapping.

It takes time and practice and little money in finish (yes money) to figure it out....once you do its like riding a bike, you never forget. Don't give up...keep learning, soon you will have glass smooth finishes coming right off the gun you won't have to sand :) :) :) :) :)

-Ace-

Thanks, it's great advice. Sometimes I get hung up on trying to much to understand something before doing it, but this is an easy way to break myself in. I've read that you should have a fan or you won't get as good a finish because of too much material in the air. I know about the explosive part and all that, but certainly in this case any fan would do? Is it worth the trouble?

Ace gives some good tips there. It took me a while to get the hang of spraying finish. I took was spraying too lightly. Everything I read said to spray just enough so it looks "wet". What the heck does that mean!? To me it looks wet as soon as there's any finish on it. From there it just gets wetter. I have sprayed mainly waterborne finishes with excellent results. I have sprayed the following straight from the can with the Earlex 5000 using a 1.5 tip with excellent results: GF Enduro Pre-Cat Urethane, GF Enduro-Var, Zar Ultra-Max, Minwax Polycrylic. I have also sprayed McClosky Heirloom Satin Varnish (oil-based) thinned 10% with OMS, again with the 1.5 tip and had excellent results. Waterborne finishes dry VERY quickly. You can put down several coats in a day and they are, therefore, must less susceptible to dust contamination. After it's dry, just give it a wipe with a piece of brown paper bag and it will be very smooth and more uniform than I could ever get by hand.

Here's what I've learned about spraying with the the Earlex 5000. Set the gin up for a light spray to ensure good atomization. When you spray, make sure you hold the gun perpendicular to the surface you're spraying and move your whole body back and forth as you spray. If you use you're wrist action then you WILL have problems. Think of yourself as a spraying robot. As Ace said, most beginners don't lay down enough finish, but it's also easy to put down too much. Keep the gun set to a fine spray and vary your speed until you are laying down the right amount. Then after you figure out what that speed is, don't change it. Again, think robot. You should be laying down enough finish that it looks glossy wet, but not enough that it runs. If it's not glossy then the finish can not "flow-out" and you will end up with orange peel of a very rough finish.

Also, you don't need to clean the gun between sessions on the same project. I have sprayed then left for 4 days and come back, cleaned any dried finish from the tip and started spraying again right away. I just clean everything when I'm done with the project.

One last tip. The Earlex unit pulls it's air from the bottom of the unit. There's a small filter screen down there, but be careful that you only set it down on a clean surface otherwise it WILL ingest dust and debris from the surface and deposit it neatly on your pristine workpiece. Don't ask me how I know this.

Overall I have been exceedingly happy with the cost effectiveness of this unit. Someday I may replace it with a nicer non-bleeder gun and turbine, but it won't be for a while. I would whole-heartedly recommend this setup for anyone who was just getting into spray finishing.

Here's a sample:

DSC_0384-1.jpg