Titebond 3 clamp time?

Nick2cd

I'm working on my first larger "fine furniture" project. It's a bassinet for my son (due the end of march). i am assembling it in stages, mostly due to my lack of clamp inventory. i'm using my domino for the joinery. how long do i need to let my titebond 3 dry before i can un-clamp and move to the next phase of assembly?

Until the glue drys. :rolleyes:

Sorry, just being a smart @$$. :D (The devil made me say that. :P )

It depends on what wood you are using and temperatures in the shop and how much air can get to the joint and glue. For the most part, I find that an hour or two in the clamps is enough to take it out of the clamps and handle it. Just don't put too much stress on the joints for 6- 12 hours. After the first hour you could remove the clamps and do a glue-up on another section but, wait for final assembly until tomorrow.

Just my two cents worth.

Rog

• Like 1

Well, I'll admit I'm probably the impatient kid on the block, but I typically clamp for about 30 min - 1 hr and then handle it.. I don't run it through equipment, but will sand it under light pressure on top of a pad to dampen vibration and never had any issues. But I do agree, more time would certainly be better. TBIII has a faster tack time than the others IMO..

Ditto HHH...

I usually clamp TBIII for ~ an hour in my 65-70F shop, but I don't joint or plane glue ups 'till the next day. I don't EVER joint, plane, or drum sand glue ups with internal biscuits or dowels for at least 24 hours, as the wood swells. If you surface it too soon, you'll get indentations when the wood shrinks.

I've never had an issue with the one hour number for joinery, but my shop is never less than 65F when I'm working.

I just built a starter set of sleds for a new table saw, and the runners were obviously stuck after only 30 minutes...

• 10 years later...