Shop Storage

wm_crash

So I am in the process of reorganizing my little shop (size 10' x 20'). My current issue is storage. As of now, there is none. I am thinking some cabinets and some shelves of sorts. It turns out I have accumulated a large amount of stuff. What approach to take: build storage to accommodates the stuff I have, or build generic storage and just fit stuff in there? ("build" might end up being "buy", but that's another story) And if the approach is for generic, what's a good generic storage approach?

cheers,

wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

I have a combination... None of it is really "perfect", but I'm happy with the time invested vs. usefulness obtained.

My combo includes custom built drawers in one of my benches and a wall tool cabinet, inexpensive tool rollaways (watch out for killer sales at Harbor Freight and Sears), and castoff dressers and file cabinets. By custom building only where absolutely necessary, I get to finish more projects from the shop vs. for the shop.

The dressers and file cabinets get stuff like less-used power tools, air hoses and cords, jigs, spray curtains...

The rollaways are great for mechanic's tools, router bits and accessories, router motors, lesser used setup tools.

I custom built purpose-designed storage for my often used hand tools, the stuff that needs to be right at hand near the bench.

For those with the time, building out the shop can be a full time job itself.

As you think about this, also keep the hot-warm-cold storage method in mind. It makes no sense to store a rarely used item in your bench, then walk all over the place to get stuff you use every day. For example, stuff that gets pulled out, used for specific operations, then put away, like my HVLP rig and Leigh jig, are stored in bins and trunks with all related accessories. This "cold" storage is also the stuff where it's not a big deal to move something else to get to it. Stuff I use constantly, like layout tools, hand planes, cordless drivers... are either easily within arm's reach or a step away from the bench, and are never blocked by other items.

Also beware of open shelves and cubbies. They're a pain to keep clean in a dusty world.

• Like 1

I like cabinets. You can make your own, or reuse some kitchen cabinets that someone is selling or giving away. This way you get drawers, cabinets, and even a work surface. As a bonus, the cabinets and drawers are covered (as mentioned above by Pilot) and help keep the shop neat, organized, and tidy.

In my small shop, I try and utilize wasted vertical height as much as possible (and where it makes sense). I'm currently working on a rolling shop cart that I can move around the shop, and will organize and reclaim much space that my current utility bench / area takes up. Best of all, it folds up, so keeps dust off everything in it.

I feel for you with your 10' x 20' shop. That's the amount of space that I have.

I'm maximizing as much wall storage as I can in my shop. To this end, I attached 2x4's to the cinder block walls of my basement shop area, and then screwed in pine 1x12's across them, so that I can attach any storage device anywhere I want. Here's a shot of my workbench area to give you an idea.

IMG_5827.JPG

The pine boards (you can use plywood or any other sheet good as well) make storage really flexible. If I don't like one of the storage devices that I made, I can simply unscrew it and move it or make another one.

Clearly, I don't have too much of an issue with keeping tools out in the open. But if I wanted to use enclosed cabinets, I still would use this method for a while until I knew what tools I should store where, and then build my cabinets.

• Like 1

I likes the wooden wall. It has a good feel. I've done pegboard but the wood is versatile too. The premise is that the shop is always changing and you start somewhere with "change" always in the back of your mind. Barry talked about storing the cold tools and keeping the frequently used close by. You may not know that right off but suddenly you realize you're walking a lot to get certain things. So you rearrange. I guess with the type of work you do, the bench isn't an issue being against the wall? Also, you are wise to keep the 2 jugs of moonshine close by. Now, how many will go back and look because "Dang, I missed that!" :P

Over 25 years ago I started making my shop and most of my effert is on the tools. Well they have to go some were. What I did, was pick up cabinets from friends who remodeled there kitchens. Putting up unmatched cabinets does not look bad. This will give you a good idea how you want to use the cabinets. Three houses later and now having a 30' X 30' shop and still have about 65% of those cabinets. I started last year replacing them just because. Have fun with it all, don't sweat it, and don't think you have to put it all together in a day. By the way my shop is 29' x 29'.......... I just say 30'.

Thomas

Wilbur's shop looks amazing. I saw a guy online who built all his cabinets on boxes on casters. This sounds great because a garage is always changing.

I would also create all the cabinets at the same height as your bench or table saw so they can become extra support for large items.

For the cabinets, this dude online made the drawer bottoms larger than the box and therefore they became runners (free slides). As much as I love great hardware, I am not sure if I can justify hundreds of Dollars on great hardware for a garage ... may be in the future.

The extra width of the drawer bottom fits in the dadoes you can route on your side panels (if you use 3/4" - 19mm boxes). If you will roll your cabinets it makes sense to use an applied back of at least 1/2" (12mm), I like using the same size as everything else 3/4" (19mm) and some will say the boxes are too heavy, I say ... they are solid.

My garage storage is constantly in planning. For now I have a bunch of plywood bases with rollers which host my Festool Systainers. Would like to have a better system and I am getting tired of looking at a mess.

Having everything on casters also allows you to move your stuff for cleaning.

Good luck.

I really like that tool chest. The peg board allows for a simple change when your storage needs change.

Thank you for the comment.

As you said it does allow for change. ;) The pictures were taken just after I finished the cabinet and it looks A LOT different now! The shelves are adjustable as well.and of course can be added to or discarded. I used two pieces of peg board for each door with 1/2" air gap so that the hooks on the inside won't interfere with the outside ones. Sure hope that the french cleat holds up,the cabinet is getting HEAVY! :D I used piano hinge for the doors and was wondering if it would be strong enough but, it is working just fine. The doors are held closed with magnets and so far they work well also. :o

I wish now that I had used a better grade of wood and maybe finished it or at least painted it but, it is just shop furniture. :rolleyes:

Rog

I vote for cabinets. I have a section that has drawers and then this section http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/viewer-projects/nates-shop-projects/?project_type=shop-projects-2. Since the section is open cabinets with slide outs I can adjust however I want with out much limits. I like my stuff behind closed doors and drawers as it is neater, cleaner, and protected. Many different ways and preferences this is just mine:)