The Bench

Sac

Hey Guys, just wanted to share some pics of my current project. This is a workbench that is based on the Popular Woodworking LVL Bench made by Megan Fitzpatrick and Christopher Schwarz. You can learn about it and take a video tour here. I really like the design of this bench, especially the top. So I thought that I would make a modified version of it to fit my needs here in my shop. I am not an all hand tool guy, but I like to dabble in them a little. I have been meaning to make this bench for quiet some time, just kept putting it off. Well, after today, I am glad that I have waited. I think that it really payed off. I am only to dry fit, bit it still looks great.. Thanks for checking it out. I will be sure to keep updating on its progress.. Here is the link to the photos. Let me know what you think!!

Sac

oh ok, sorry I was in a rush and I just saw the pictures, and I thought LVL would mean something haha but I can bearly know the common names of wood.

Walter

It does, Laminated Veneer Lumber. Don't worry about not remembering all the acronyms. You'll have them down in no time.

Hey Guys, just wanted to share some pics of my current project. This is a workbench that is based on the Popular Woodworking LVL Bench made by Megan Fitzpatrick and Christopher Schwarz. You can learn about it and take a video tour here. I really like the design of this bench, especially the top. So I thought that I would make a modified version of it to fit my needs here in my shop. I am not an all hand tool guy, but I like to dabble in them a little. I have been meaning to make this bench for quiet some time, just kept putting it off. Well, after today, I am glad that I have waited. I think that it really payed off. I am only to dry fit, bit it still looks great.. Thanks for checking it out. I will be sure to keep updating on its progress.. Here is the link to the photos. Let me know what you think!!

Sac

That was a great vid tour of the bench. I would love to make one myself some day. BTW I am sure my shop teacher once told me "No flip flops in the wood shop" lol

Great looking bench. I'm anxious to see the finished product. How has the LVL been to work with? It seems like it would be harder to plane, etc, because of all the laminations.

Thanks for posting.

Cory

It really hasnt been too hard to work with at all.. You do have to be careful with the scarf joints when jointing in the LVL itself, it is where the layers overlap. Machines handled it no problem and it works ok with hand tools too..

Nice work on this bench. I got to work on Megan's LVL bench at the last WIA and I like the LVL for the top. It just feels stable and strong and there is something comforting about that in a good workbench. What are you going to do about workholding, same thing as Megan's design?

I will be using a Jorgy vise with round bench dogs. I will also be building the leg vise that she has on hers as well. Sliding deadman as well.

looks fantastic Sac! you must be psyched about using it already

I do want to start using it.. It has not been bolt or glued together yet. I am getting a new jointer that will come in handy when making the leg vise and board jack. WIll be getting that in a few weeks.

West System is great stuff, for sure... I have a "station" of it and the fillers hanging off the fridge (cuz in the summer, I need to put the resin there). But even with 404 filler or any of the faring additives, it will be awkward and messy to pour and push into voids then leave the void upright to keep from sagging.

I'd use the Quickwood Epoxy Putty Stick (affiliate link for Marc).

Cut a chunk off the end, kneed it with your fingers, and press in place. Rock hard later. The putty texture lets you push it into a void easily and not have it run out; you could flip your stock and do other voids. Comes in a bunch of colors, but like epoxy (cuz it is...) it won't take a dye.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update folks. I have glued the base together and bolted the top on as well. I also have the Jorgy quick release vise and my leg vise attached as well. Here are some pics. All that I have to do now is make some jaws for the end vise, drill some dog holes, and throw some finish on it. What do ya think?

ca72f116.jpg

93f7001e.jpg

c17e8e73.jpg

That bench looks amazing. Last night I could not sleep, because I was dreaming on my next bench and probably will look like yours. I am reading "Workbenches from Design & Theory to Construction & Use" by Christopher Schwarz. http://www.woodworkersbookshop.com/product/the-workbench-design-book/books.

Style of the bench I agree 100% with you and will be almost a carbon copy of yours ... I mean ... of CS Roubo.

The problem is that I have to free some space where the bench is going to fit so there is a lot of work to do before.