Interesting news ...

Joraft

That is very cool. I hope to see pics from someone installing this on their Ruobo build!

They're working on the manufacturing details now, and say that it should be on the market by late fall. Nothing definite on price.

They also say it should be not too difficult to retrofit to an already completed bench.

Even though it is very cool and definitely sexier than the glide and glide supports, I can't see a time when I'll "upgrade". It's not that hard to place the pin. That said, if I was ordering after this was out? Definitely the way to go.

I played with this at Jeff millers studio this weekend as well. What a piece of work. If I ever build my bench this hardware will be on it for sure. They also had a prototype of a machinist's vice of sorts which looked interesting as well. Im saddened to hear about Jeff Millers illness. I hope the best for him his work has always inspired me.

Even though it is very cool and definitely sexier than the glide and glide supports, I can't see a time when I'll "upgrade". It's not that hard to place the pin. That said, if I was ordering after this was out? Definitely the way to go.

I'd have to agree with Vic! Can't see myself upgrading unless the parallel guide fails (but since I overbuilt that to about 2X the thickness of the plans, that probably won't happen anytime soon!) Definitely a cleaner design, and I love the old-school mechanism.

At any rate, perhaps Marc could negotiate "upgrade pricing" for those of us that have already bought the vises :-) After all, it doesn't look like much more than a couple of long mortises and some holes for the pins...assuming your vise is already operational.

They have more info up on their blog. Looks like its going to be offered as an option but the original will still be available. Says they are going to be offering a discounted price for anyone who bought the old one after Feb of 2012. I am guessing Mark could probably sweet talk them in getting it extended to all guild members.

http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/2012/04/st-peters-cross-and-ho-studleys_24.html