What router has above the table adjustment built in?

tim0625

I've finally just bought my table saw - Grizzly 1023 RLWX - 5HP. It is a beast and the tables are dead flat...pictures coming! On the right side, there is a cast iron table for mounting a router underneath the table. Is there a router that can be mounted underneath that can be adjusted from above by removing the insert ring?

Thanks

Tim

I bought a Porter Cable 890 It comes with a wrench that adjusts the router above the table. It came with two bases plunge, and fixed the fixed base has the adjustment knob that accepts the wrench I had to drill a hole in my router table plate it works great for me.

Many have height adjustment from above the table, buy not the height lock. AFAIK, only the Triton and the Freud have all the adjustments above table...the collet extends above the table, has an auto lock that allows easy one handed topside bit changes without a bent wrench and without removing the insert, plus has the height lock and unlock from above the table....great features that I wish more companies would offer. If I'm wrong about this, someone please let me know.

NRT7.jpg

I heard that the triton has a safety interlock; if you riase the bit all the way up to change it, you then need to flip the power switch back to "on". And the power switch is below the table. So, that's annoying if you have it plugged into a second switch that's accessible from above the table.

Maybe I misunderstood.

I bought this for $99 a few years ago. I don't know why it was THAT inexpensive since they still sell them for $249. As knotscott said, the router is adjustable above the table, self-locking collet, etc and has a fair amount of power. The only thing I can tell you is that you will need a router plate because the height adjustment is near the outside edge of the unit.

Jack

The RH cast iron table only has an insert plate in it. No other holes and the router mounts on a bracket from underneath as opposed to being mounted on a plate. First and second pictures are from underneath with the insert plate removed...(see the clamps on the joists above?)...no places for an adjustment hole. Last two pictures show the table with and w/o the insert. What I'm asking is if there is a router that can be mounted underneath that when you remove the insert, you can adjust the height of the router from above through the insert hole?

Thanks

post-2896-0-83723600-1339695188_thumb.jp

post-2896-0-17563900-1339695287_thumb.jp

post-2896-0-10728700-1339695299_thumb.jp

post-2896-0-23916100-1339695321_thumb.jp

Not that I can think of but there are plenty that have the adjustment knob. What I as thinking was that you may be able to buy a cable and crank from woodpecker. The cable has a simple coupler that should be able to attach to the knob shaft from underneath. Not what your asking for but might work without drilling your new table.

Don

Tim. You have to drill a hole through the table top for the Triton crank to go through. It is an easy thing to do. There is a small scallop on the edge of the base plate on the router were the crank will pass by. The crank activates the fine adjust knob on the router, brilliant idea. Have a look at their

though the video is at 240.

Nice set up...looks like the Triton would do the job....it's just the matter of wrapping my head around putting a HOLE in my BRAND NEW cast iron table. I may buy a Triton and adjust it from under the table until the aggravation overpowers the new table feeling.

Many have height adjustment from above the table, buy not the height lock. AFAIK, only the Triton and the Freud have all the adjustments above table...the collet extends above the table, has an auto lock that allows easy one handed topside bit changes without a bent wrench and without removing the insert, plus has the height lock and unlock from above the table....great features that I wish more companies would offer. If I'm wrong about this, someone please let me know.

NRT7.jpg

I have a Freud with the above the table adjustments. The bit change and lock works well! The lift has some slop in the adjustment, takes a part of a turn before it moves in either direction They might have improved it but a real lift has advantages!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I mounted a "3hp" dewalt plunge to an aluminum plate. I removed the routers threaded 1/2" rod depth stop and bought a 3/8" fully threaded 6" bolt. I was able to put this bolt thru the hole for the threaded depth stop. With a socket and ratchet, I can adjust the depth of cut from above. Since the plunge router still has the springs, it naturally stays where u adjust it.

Ill try to remember to take a couple pictures. It really works well.

• 6 years later...

Josh,

I'm considering a router for home shop use. No complicated woodwork here since I'm just starting. Your idea is interesting. Have you learned anything more about this method of mounting since your 2012 post? Do you feel it might work similarly with other plunge routers?

Welcome to the forum Tink, but Josh hasn't been around hear since 2014 so you probably won't hear from him. If you're just looking for a down & dirty router table, then just get a fixed base router that has a feature that allows adjustment from through the base. Something as simple as a piece of plywood with a hole drilled in will work. Just remove the plastic base from the router & screw it to the underside of the plywood. It's not a great setup because it will tend to sag over time, but it's something to get you started. Waxing the plywood will help things slide.

• Like 1

Thanks DrZarius. I've considered building a router table, as you suggest. A portable table makes sense to me as a less complicated try and learn process. I have considered building an enclosed table as well. A decision on a router should help me make a decision, so a good router for table mounting or hand use seems to offer flexibility. About $200 for a router with a plunge base is okay, and I realize the bits will add to this cost. There are good routers with plunge bases which can be used fixed and some have bit height adjustments from above the table yet there are always caveats about each brand. I've considered Porter Cable, Milwaukee, and Dewalt. Probably need to buy refurbished or on sale for a combo unit. On forums, many feel that Porter Cable is not making current products as reliable as older models. I somewhat favor the low height of the Dewalt for safety, but changing bit height from above is troublesome for some.

This was the reason for my post. Just buying a plunge router which can be table mounted might be sufficient and better fit my budget. Josh's suggestion was intriguing for mounting a plunge base router.

I built my lift directly from the plans offered at ibuildit.ca He has several youtube videos explaining it. The plans were dead on accurate and I built it in one day with no issues. It just works very well. It has almost a vernier feel to it for smooth micro adjustments and a very secure height lock. The router is very rigid with no slop. What attracted me to it was the way the lift was designed to work, and the fact that the height is adjustable from a side crank with no top crank. There are some shoddy amateur designs out there, but being a former engineer I could tell that John took his time to think this design through and thoroughly test it before he offered it to the public. His other plans are just as well designed and I also built his Biesemeyer fence that works a treat also. I have no connection with this guy, just a very satisfied customer. Pics for your amusement :)

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

• Like 2