My shop tour

petersb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I completed the assembly table this weekend AND installed my new Incra fence, which is AWESOME!!!! My cuts are perfect with no use of a measuring tape. Next up - an outfeed table for the TS and a garden center in the other corner for SWMBO. She only wants a little space out there... ;)

post-2510-0-83091000-1289790188_thumb.jp

post-2510-0-90720800-1289790206_thumb.jp

post-2510-0-80391000-1289790224_thumb.jp

Here are a few pics of my shop. I moved mine from the basement to the garage. I use half the garage so SWMBO can park inside when it snows. I regret moving to the garage because I lost the HVAC, but I did it because of the dust. I became concerned of the dust circulating throughout the house and affecting my family. I now have an electric Dayton 220v heater, but no AC.

My link

Darn stupid lawn mowers in my shop

My PM200 that I snagged for $750 :D

I now have more clamps! Love the Jets

I had photos of my shop posted, but I removed them in a fit of pique. (Everybody's shop looks better than mine.)

I love the ideas, guys. I just wonder if most of you took the afternoon off to clean up for the photo, or if this is how it usually looks?

lol AJ I know the feeling man my shop isn't pure white with drywall walls and stuff they are concrete in my basement lol the floor has cracks and is a dirty grey color with random colored sawdust stuck in those cracks my benchs and work areas dont all match hell two cabinets sitting next to each other looks like they come from two different houses and so on, but it seems like the majority of shops I see posted online look like someone moved all their perfectly clean tools and matching shop furniture into a house lol infact most look more organized and sharp clean design than my house :lol:

Cmon AJ, it can't be that bad! ;) I love to see how others have laid out their equipment and what kind of storage solutions they have employed. The pics from my shop were taken immediately after finishing the assembly table project which added some much needed storage space.

sw1 - love the PM200!!! I'm so envious!!!

I had photos of my shop posted, but I removed them in a fit of pique. (Everybody's shop looks better than mine.)

I love the ideas, guys. I just wonder if most of you took the afternoon off to clean up for the photo, or if this is how it usually looks?

AJ, my shop is usually a bit more messy than the pics but, you should have seen it just a few months before I took those pictures. The place wasn't even able to be considered a workspace, more like a dumping ground. It had very unorganized storage and soooooo much stuff in there. I literally ran out two rats that had made nests in there. It wasn't unsanitary, just cluttered with stuff.

When we bought the house about 5 years ago, my plan was to tear the building down and rebuild a new one in its place. Well time went by and money went bye bye, so no new building. The building was built on the dirt and the walls had rotted and repaired at least a couple of times before I got there. When the wind blew outside, I could feel the breeze on teh inside because the place had so many open spaces along the ground line and in the construction of the building.

I had a small area in the back of the building where my tools were kept but there was no organization to anything and it was so frustrating to do anything out there that I didn't go out there unless I had to. In my mind, this was always a temporary situation.

Finally after nearly 5 years of frustration and battling to keep surface rust off of the tools, I had to do something about it.

Just this past summer, most evenings after work and on the weekends(and paycheck to paychaeck), I got a concrete footing under the walls and put down a treated seal plate and repaired the lower portion of the wall. I built shelving 7' high along the back, side and part of the front walls, to store all of the stuff that doesn't get used that often. Where the porch is, used to be a door and an exterior wall. I built the porch in it place to cover a root cellar hole.

There is a lot more that I have done and that still needs to be done to make it just right. Basically what I am saying is that just 6-7 months ago it was a totally usless space except for storing things in that I would probably never see again. Now it is very functional for staorage, and more importantly, a woodshop!

If I can find a picture with it before the work, I will post it.

We look forward to seeing your shop!

I'll post photos (the better ones, anyway) of how some of the storage area looked a few months ago. Since then, it's gotten worse, as I'm in between multiple projects... Funny how the busier you get, the worse your storage and work areas become...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the process of finishing the basement.

The shop is a mess, drywalling now thru month end. I'll put up a few in-progress pics, and maybe ask for advise on organizing. Here are two pics, before and after of a door I hung. A pre-hung door, which I framed out in place. Doorknob is on order. Basement is 1600 sq ft, the shop is just under 1/4 of that.

post-2794-0-74607000-1291696915_thumb.jp

post-2794-0-72401400-1291696924_thumb.jp

This is the basement floor plan. The shop is 26x20. Just under 1/3 the area down there, feels like 1/4 as you can see it's one area of 4, but now that I think on it, it's a big room. Yesterday's door pictures are where you go down the stairs and turn left. The storage area will be unfinished, walls only insulated, not 'rocked, and ceiling just left. "Play area" is going to be a dance studio.

I just saw this library index card catalog, and curious if you have any thoughts on using it for shop storage. The drawers are 5”W x 15”D x 3½”H, seems a great way to store every screw/nut/bolt/little part in the shop.

post-2794-0-57728100-1291730633_thumb.jp

post-2794-0-43401100-1291730929_thumb.jp

Here is my shop. It has been a labor of love for the last year and a half. I made is so nice a cozy, I think that I spend more time out there than I do inside. My wife told me that she used to see me more when I worked.. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. There are plenty of things that I would do differently if I were to do it over again. Enjoy.

http://s1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/Sacadelic/Updated%20Shop/?start=all

I've got part of the storage area posted in my gallery. I've been fairly busy screwing up, er, working on my secondary workbench. It is the only one right now, and (until I got off my tucas) covered in the detrius of a lack of storage. Now, it's (almost) complete. (I ran out of screws, and stripped one, so I need 3 to complete the construction.) I plan on taking it apart again in warmer weather, to take it outside and apply finish. (I set it up in my little corner of the basement, but it's right next to the water heater and within arm's reach of the furnace. I'm terrified of fumes reaching the flames contained within, since this house is over 100 years old.

The great news is I finally completed it, and pulled the lathe out of it's plastic coffin, and even ran it for a bit tonight. (until I dulled the edge of my turning tools by sharpening them. but that's another story.)

So now I have to create the storage for all the items I stacked up to make the 10 square feet I used to build this table. And, since the family noticed I finally completed something, I think they're okay getting stock for me. (plus, I finally pay off my tools this weekend, so my shop has gone from faded hopes and dreams to unproductive inactivity (j/k) in no time flat.

One question I have is storage of finishes. What do you guys use to store your finishes in? I've got a small space under the stairs (where the plastic tub of ... stuff ... is) that I'd like to use for the finish storage.

Hey, everyone's shops are looking good! It really is nice to have some space to call your own and build some things in.

I hope to do some rearranging in my shop after the 1st of the year and organize some things better. I still have to build the drawers in my workbench, and when I do, I will be able to make some of my tools more convenient to get to. I am also rethinking about where I store my wood. I may end up moving it to the back of the shop, instead of right up front. I just don't like the idea of carrying wood through the shop and knocking a project over and ruining it. I guess that I will just have to be a little more carful than I have been.

I have also been checking out some of the other guys posts on their shops. There are always some great ideas in the pics/vids. I like Dyami's swinging boom arm for the shop vac hose and the cyclone dust collector on his shop vac. I need to try and find one like it.

Here are some shop tour links in case any of you haven't seen them yet.

http://penultimatewoodshop.blogspot.com/

And here is Vic's shop tour, a really nice big shop that a lot of us might dream of.

Here is another dream shop of SAC's. This place looks like a doctor could perform surgery in there! Very well organized.

http://s1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/Sacadelic/Updated%20Shop/?start=all

I was thinking that I would like to post a video of my shop too. It's just that I don't have a digital video camera to get it on the computer with.

Well guys, keep the shop pictures coming, they are great to see.

Thanks to all that have shared their shop with us!

Brett

Thanks for the mention, Brett. When you're ready to start streaming, look at the Logitech Orbit AF. You can record with the included software, or onto Ustream.

Hey Vic, thank you for the camera info. So I can record just like a video camera with the Logitech? I am not the most technicalogically savy tool in the shed. Pretty cool either way. Are we going to get the video tour of your shop? I look forward to checking it out soon. (hint,hint) ;)

HELLO, by all means if you can get that piece for your shop you should go for it.

This is the basement floor plan. The shop is 26x20. Just under 1/3 the area down there, feels like 1/4 as you can see it's one area of 4, but now that I think on it, it's a big room. Yesterday's door pictures are where you go down the stairs and turn left. The storage area will be unfinished, walls only insulated, not 'rocked, and ceiling just left. "Play area" is going to be a dance studio.

I just saw this library index card catalog, and curious if you have any thoughts on using it for shop storage. The drawers are 5”W x 15”D x 3½”H, seems a great way to store every screw/nut/bolt/little part in the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Brett,

Thanks for the mention. If you're interested in the boom I've got a blog entry about it at penultimatewoodshop.com its a few months old & should have Vacuum Boom Arm in the title (sorry, I'd link right to the entry, but I'm on my phone now).

I'll help out since I know you are busy assembling :) (only reason I'm helping is cuz I just put the last coat of finish on my mom's gift table :))

http://penultimatewoodshop.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-vacuum-boom-arm.html