One banana, two banana, three banana, four......

petersb

Whilst working in the shop some the other day, my mind was getting volleyed between two projects that I have going on. I was finding that I wasn't getting much done, just spinning in circles.

Now I am brewing up another project in my mind. I don't even seem to be able get focused on just one project, but three!? :blink:

How many projects can you keep going until completion and what do you do to stay focused???

Two is the best I can do! I HATE unfinished things. I can however start my second (as long as it is small) while the glue is drying or the finish is curing on the first.

If I have a problem to solve on the first project, I will relax and think about something else (read the second project) for awhile and clear my mind (what there is of it) and get back to the first a bit later.

If it is TOO much of a problem, I may just scrap it or store it in the basement for a month or two. If it is not totaly scrapped, IT WILL GET DONE NEXT!!

Rog

In my shop (barn) there are always several ongoing projects. I agree that this can be a sometimes confusing situation. There are 75 storm window frames, all of the wooden parts for a restoration project, 10" baseboards for the house, 2 cabinet doors, and 3 stained glass window frames that I am working on now. It takes some organizational planning, I keep a planning board with notes, deadlines, ect. I also have found that a log of time spent helps to organize the upcoming shop session. I usually work about 4-5 hours a day in the shop. It works fairly well, unless it looks like a good day to go fishing or play golf. Then the whole thing goes to pot.

Should this include the 1/3 built glider chair I gave up on 11 years ago? I swear I'm gonna go back to it, but it won't be for my wife to nurse the baby in (the baby's 10)....maybe an early retirement gift?

Seriously, I can only actively work on 2 (maybe 3 if one is small)...but I sure seem to be able to stack up projects in various stages of completion. The good news is I've only started one new one that's "stuck" and I've managed to knock off a few that have been lingering.

My goal is to get down to 2 projects at any given time. One for the family/house to warrant my time in the shop...and one for selfish pursuit of woodworking (try new techniques, use new materials, build stuff for the shop).

....oh, and win the lottery, did I forget to mention that, it's kind of a pre-requisite? :P

I will occasionally start a small project while I am working on a large project, to either get my mind off whatever I am struggling with or refocus it to a fresh view, other than that I build one piece at a time. i can't stand clutter and to me it seems like several unfinished projects with many parts lying around would be too much for me and take a lot of the fun out of the shop. Just my point of view.

Nate

I used to get into too many at a time and would spend most of my time shuffling them around to make room for whichever one I wanted to work on. Once I realized that (surprisingly took awhile), I put them all aside and took one out and took it to completion then the next.

Now, I try to have 1 project active. Once it gets to the finishing stage and I'm waiting on dyes, stains, top-coats to dry/cure, I work on the next project, which is usually at the finalizing drawings stage or wood choices stage so I'm not generating dust. This is working better for me.

Occasionally something comes up mid-project (usually a carpentry thing more than woodworking) but they are weekend jobs then back to the fun stuff.

I tend to want to do everything. So I have household projects (non-WWing), sewing, stitching, books, and or course WWing too. I have learned that I am really good at getting started....and getting finished with things. However, I tend to lag in the middle parts...no matter what type of project it is. Eventually I learned that I have to limit myself to one thing in each category. At first I thought that I could manage 2 in WWing....one for the shop, and one "real" project. Now I realize that my shop just isn't large enough or organized enough to support more than one at a time.

my no. 1 ruler for project that are for paying customers is, to never start another till the first one/origanl is complete and handed over, its not that i am unorganized (althought others may disagree :P) its just that i like to be focus totally on what i am doing, every procces, every set up factor...

when i have another project, just starting up, i find myself planning it all out and visuilizing in my head automatically.... which does one of two things 1. make the first project quailty suffer or 2. i lose interest in the first project :blink::unsure:<_<

As far as "serious" projects, like commissions and stuff, I generally have several going at once that will be anywhere from just gathering materials to the finishing stage.

I used to be one of those that would just start something, and then once I figured it all out I would be bored and move on to the next thing. Now I'm to the point where I've got myself trained to write all the projects on a whiteboard in order of importance: paying jobs first by date and so on. This way when I go into the shop I start at the top of the list and work my way down, not allowing myself to go on to the next one until the last one is finished or I'm blocked. If I'm waiting for glue to dry on one or something, then I go to the next one. Otherwise, the trick for me is not to jump around the list too much.

I have also realized that there are times when you just have to play and let your mind wander, so that's when the little projects sneak in, like firing up the lathe or just working on the shop itself, but I don't worry about finishing those because with those it's the process that's important, not the end result.

The biggest problem is when I get a new book and I read about some new thing and then it's "Oh! I want to try that!" That's when it get's dangerous. Last week I ordered a book on making wooden planes after reading a thread here, so of course now I'm torn. Stupid forums! It's all your fault! :P

The biggest problem is when I get a new book and I read about some new thing and then it's "Oh! I want to try that!" That's when it get's dangerous. Last week I ordered a book on making wooden planes after reading a thread here, so of course now I'm torn. Stupid forums! It's all your fault! :P

LOL, Yeah, that's what I blame it on too, Damn internet and books! :)

I have 3 active projects and a flip table that I reaaly need to make and the holidays are coming soon..........ahhhh