Good price for 1x12 S4S Cherry?

Kranzpj

I'm relatively new to the craft and am trying to expand my horizons beyond big box store pine S4S. I'm looking at a local hardwood dealer that has Maple, Cherry, and Poplar as S4S and I wanted to get some opinions on whether these prices are reasonable. I'll still need to rely on S4S until I add a jointer/planer to my repertoire. I know prices vary by region but the Cherry prices are:

1x8 = $7.05/ft (not board foot)
1x10 = $9.10/ft
1x12 = $11.45/ft

Does this seem in line with what everyone else is seeing out there? or am I better off rolling the dice on an Internet purchase?

Thanks!

post-6563-0-41483700-1360463237_thumb.jp

post-6563-0-32323200-1360463249_thumb.jp

That seems just a little on the steep side to me.  But then again I'm spoiled, I have a mill owned by Mennonites just up the road that I can get just about anything from for dirt cheap.  I'd either shop around your local area or go with an online source.  I've used www.walllumber.com  a couple times and have been satisfied with their service, quality and shipping.  I also hear good things about www.bellforestproducts.com/ although I have no experience with them.

I'm in PA and if I recall correctly I can get s4s cherry 4/4 up to about 9"wide for $4.95 a board foot. In the rough I think it's $3.85. I can also get air dried cherry for about $3.00 a board ft in the rough from a local sawyer. If I read your post correctly your place is selling for $11.45 a board ft?

ditto i'm here in Illinois been a while since i priced it out but the guy down the road air dries and it rough straight from the mill i can get it 3.00-5.00 depending on size and quality. you can also get green lumber and dry it yourself to save dollars.  might be pricer there because of demand or supply but still that is kinda pricey.

My dealer sells kiln dried 9" and wider 4/4 S3S cherry for $5.60/bf.  Random widths 4/4 S3S for $3.90/bf.  I'm in St. Louis.  We're farther from PA than NJ is. :)   Remember that you can use S2S if you have a circular saw and a straight edge.  And you can use rough if you buy a couple handplanes and you like exercise.

• Like 1

Bell Forest Products are great, but shipping adds up. West Windsor NJ is very close to me, actually - it's about as Central NJ and Central NJ gets. Try http://www.willardbrothers.net - they're on the Hamilton/Trenton border. They're a little pricy compared to rough wood at some places, but most of their stock is squared up. It's still much cheaper, at least for cherry.

That seems just a little on the steep side to me.  But then again I'm spoiled, I have a mill owned by Mennonites just up the road that I can get just about anything from for dirt cheap.  I'd either shop around your local area or go with an online source.  I've used www.walllumber.com  a couple times and have been satisfied with their service, quality and shipping.  I also hear good things about www.bellforestproducts.com/ although I have no experience with them.

These Mennonites don't happen to be near the NJ border by any chance?

I'm in PA and if I recall correctly I can get s4s cherry 4/4 up to about 9"wide for $4.95 a board foot. In the rough I think it's $3.85. I can also get air dried cherry for about $3.00 a board ft in the rough from a local sawyer. If I read your post correctly your place is selling for $11.45 a board ft?

Right, I guess they are selling their S4Ss by the foot as opposed to the board foot, but since a foot of 1x12 is a board foot, it's $11.45/BF for the 12" wide boards.

Bell Forest Products are great, but shipping adds up. West Windsor NJ is very close to me, actually - it's about as Central NJ and Central NJ gets. Try http://www.willardbrothers.net - they're on the Hamilton/Trenton border. They're a little pricy compared to rough wood at some places, but most of their stock is squared up. It's still much cheaper, at least for cherry.

Actually, that's exactly where I went. Maybe their rough stuff is cheaper.

Mercer County, NJ. Same county as Trenton and Princeton. Is your resource close to Philly?

I buy some of my lumber down in Boothwyn PA , its about 20 mins south of me at a place called Delware County Supply . They have a nice selection of domestic and exotics there . I know there's a place up by Trenton , I believe someone posted a link to it .

It's odd to me that they charge by the lf, not by bf....

That seems a little pricer than I'd expect but I do know my local place has a little higher prices on 9"+ wide boards.

This practise is common in my area. Rough stock is sold per bf, and all dimensioned stock is sold per lf. Of course, there is a massive up charge for dimensioned stock.

I buy some of my lumber down in Boothwyn PA , its about 20 mins south of me at a place called Delware County Supply . They have a nice selection of domestic and exotics there . I know there's a place up by Trenton , I believe someone posted a link to it .

Delco is a great spot.

Actually, that's exactly where I went. Maybe their rough stuff is cheaper.

Interesting. I've only ever gotten exotics there, which have always been the same cost online (and by board foot). Hopefully it's just the difference for them planing it (vs rough). But Willard Bros are pricey. 

You can also try Agincourt. They're up in Hillsborough (up 206, before Bridgewater). They are very cheap, but their wood is all rough. It's a small shop (father and son logging/milling operation), so they might be able to square it up for you for a charge. Be prepared to do your own lifting, though.

Also check out Log Power. They're over in Allentown. I picked up a big piece of jatoba there, once. (Well, my Dad did, I got him to run over because I couldn't get a day off and they don't have weekend hours).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's odd to me that they charge by the lf, not by bf....

That seems a little pricer than I'd expect but I do know my local place has a little higher prices on 9"+ wide boards.

The box stores by me will sell you portions of the board. Meaning, if I only need 10 feet of a 20 foot board. They will cut it down for you. Hence the LF pricing. All works out in the end. Just take the total BF cost of a board and divide by how may foot long the board is.

-Ace-

Do any of you check the board feet in a board before buying it? The mill I buy at sells most of the hardwoods surfaced 2 sides and one edge straight line ripped. 4/4 stock is 13/16 for the trades or 3/4 for the public. I have watched the guy grading the wood after if is planed. Length is eyeballed against foot marks along the table, width is measured with his grading stick which has tables that give him the board feet. He marks the bd ft on the plank and then sends it through the straight line rip saw.

Measure the widest part of a board times the length and use the full thickness before planing, then compare that to the bd ft on that piece. Your paying for the scrap ripped off by the straight line as well as the thickness planed off. And the bd ft is a quick eyeball estimate in the first place. He is never off by much but it is usually in the mills favor if he is.

I always take a calculator, flashlight, tape measure and notepad when I go to pick wood for a project. My grandfather taught me to always leave a stack of lumber neater than it was when you got there. That goes a long way with the staff where ever you get your wood.