Festool dust extractor comparisons

rodger.

Are you guys getting tired of me posting questions about festool?

I am interested, perhaps, in a dust extractor from festool. I went online to their website, and poked around the comparison and specs section of the extractors. They all have the same rating for suction (137 CFM) and static lift (96").

Is the only difference their capacity and size then?

Personally, I've got two boom arm setups with the Oneida UDD on CT26s. I've wired one with FT cabling and the other with CEROS cabling...

The boom arm is a great accessory... It's nice to keep the DC hose off the project... You need a 26, 36, 48 to use the boom arm.

The UDD is the other great accessory... Your bag use drops to about zero, so it will pay for itself over time...

BTW, for you UDD owners... Oneida has updated the UDD with improved anti-static components and improved compatibility with Festool's vacs. If you contact Oneida directly, they'll update your setup no cost...

I built my own boom arm. I put a couple of Systainers ( or one large one) on top of my CT26. I built a box around it and attChed a post to one corner. A scrap of piano hinge and an arm braced with a triangle of 1/4 ply sits on top. A few Velcro straps plus a couple of bungie cords completes the 20-30 minute build. I will see if I can dig up a picture.

What about the boom arm? Do you guys use one? I like the look of it, but it's a large added expense to an already expensive item.

Never bought into the boom arm. Like most Festool accessories it's overpriced by a large margin but that wasn't the determining factor for me, it was the clumsiness of having a few feet of pipe hanging off the vac. Unlike some of their stuff I can't even see where it would be a benefit to the on-site user, who has a van 7' high and who'd want to disassemble the thing every day at quitting time to fit it into their pickup truck only to put it together the next morning?

I don't do on-site work, I work in a small shop and the CT26 pretty much stays by the MFT table and the drill press. My Fein vac lives beside my bench, neither move more than 6' at any given time unless I want to vacuum the car or the rest of the basement. So I got a few ceiling hooks from the Big Box Store, screwed them into the floor joists and have all the boom arms I need plus convenient storage for the vac hoses:

post-1150-0-67447600-1404261124_thumb.jp

Let's get real: $325 for a few feet of bent pipe, a short piece of vac hose and a couple brackets and bolts? Does that sound like a bargain to you? If so let me know, I have a couple of quit-claim deeds to some bridge property in Brooklyn I'd be willing to let go of for an equivalent price.... ;)

Now if you had a big shop and needed to move the vac around a lot maybe I could see it but you can buy a whole lot of those big-box hooks for the price. It's your money, spend it any way you want.

HTH,

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All new festool vacs now have the same turbine fitted, even the 17 litre model. The boom arm is clumsy if you need to manouvre the vac around. The auto spray panel shops like them because they can keep the hose off the vehicle more easily. The stabalising legs are useful if you swing the arm to the side or towards the rear. They can quickly be moved to the side of the vac but sometimes they restrict the front wheels from rotating which I find a pain. Keep a vac under the mft-3 and all should be good. There is a hose holder that fits the vac which will do just as good a job of keeping the hose from pulling tools off the bench.

• Like 1

Never bought into the boom arm. Like most Festool accessories it's overpriced by a large margin but that wasn't the determining factor for me, it was the clumsiness of having a few feet of pipe hanging off the vac. Unlike some of their stuff I can't even see where it would be a benefit to the on-site user, who has a van 7' high and who'd want to disassemble the thing every day at quitting time to fit it into their pickup truck only to put it together the next morning?

I don't do on-site work, I work in a small shop and the CT26 pretty much stays by the MFT table and the drill press. My Fein vac lives beside my bench, neither move more than 6' at any given time unless I want to vacuum the car or the rest of the basement. So I got a few ceiling hooks from the Big Box Store, screwed them into the floor joists and have all the boom arms I need plus convenient storage for the vac hoses:

attachicon.gifIMG_0866.jpg

Let's get real: $325 for a few feet of bent pipe, a short piece of vac hose and a couple brackets and bolts? Does that sound like a bargain to you? If so let me know, I have a couple of quit-claim deeds to some bridge property in Brooklyn I'd be willing to let go of for an equivalent price.... ;)

Now if you had a big shop and needed to move the vac around a lot maybe I could see it but you can buy a whole lot of those big-box hooks for the price. It's your money, spend it any way you want.

HTH,

Bill

What's your lowest price on that Bridge property?

What's your lowest price on that Bridge property?

Hey, just fah youse since youse a homey and all dat, I'll let 'em go fah 20 lahge each. How many does youse want?

Bring cash, nothing larger than a 50, no sequential #s, I'll meet youse at the underpass on the Joisey Turnpike, exit 666. Come alone, no cell phones.

Trust me....

(Damn, how do you do a Jersey accent on a keyboard???)