craigslist score

Bill Tarbell

I got lucky and caught a craigslist add for lumber yesterday.  The guy had said he had 1000-1500 bf of multiple species of wood and many dimensions, but he didn't have any pictures.  He was asking only $500 so I figured at that price it'd be hard to lose.  I began calling around to rent a truck, but wouldn't ya know.. there wasn't a single uHaul truck available in the entire city of pittsburgh.  Thankfully, a buddy had off work and was able to lend me his van.  The catch was that i had to unload/reload it.. and it was very full.

After 45 minutes of clearing the van and another 50 minutes of driving we ended up at the guys place.  It turns out that he has a rather large saw mill operation on his property.  He said he typically sells it all via contract when it's green.  The stuff he was selling on craigslist was put aside about 10 years ago for his own projects, which never materialized.  It was quite dry and the great deal of it was nice and straight.  About 40% was cherry, 25% walnut, 20% oak, 15% soft maple, and a few boards of sassafras, hemlock, 

He had moved the lumber prior to the sale, so it was just loosely piled in a big hopper that was as wide as the van and a few feet taller.  We really didn't think it was all going to fit, but once it was stacked flat it ended up just barely fitting.  Check out these pictures.  We had to drive the 50 minutes back home on the interstate looking the van was just exploding with wood.  I'm not really sure exactly how much is there but it should last me a good many years.  I'm still in awe that it boiled down to only 30-40 cents per bf for so much cherry and walnut. :D

post-15737-0-97394700-1404088235_thumb.j

post-15737-0-46937900-1404088269_thumb.j

• Like 1

I can't believe they let you on the interstate with that.... (I know I wouldn't.  I would have pulled you over and confiscated... er... lightened the load slightly to make the trip safer.  Yeah, that's the story...)

Nice haul!

(And nice score!)

I can't believe they let you on the interstate with that.... (I know I wouldn't. I would have pulled you over and confiscated... er... lightened the load slightly to make the trip safer. Yeah, that's the story...)

Nice haul!

(And nice score!)

Yeah I could see Indiana state police pulling you over for that load! Great score, wish I could find a deal like that around here!

People going down the interstate said "look at those idiots hauling that old lumber.....it's not good for anything!"......they had no idea.  Now....that's what you can see.  There's no telling what you may find when you plane it.  You may have a half of a load of figured cherry!  That's one of the things I enjoy about wood and especially turning.  You never know what's on the inside.