Does anyone bonsai?

Eric.

I don't know much about it other than it's totally badass.  I was thinking about trying a few trees.  Anyone have any experience?  Recommend a book, forum, etc?  I have some Japanese maples and dwarf conifers in my landscaping that I keep pruned with a kind of bonsai look, but obviously they're not true bonsai.

I was in a wedding party where we were given bonsai kits as our "wedding party gifts".  I was psyched, but my tree was dead within a month.  No one's tree lasted more than a few weeks.  Maybe they were cheap kits, but I got the impression that just keeping the tree alive in it's unnatural restricted state requires skill.

That's my experience with bonsai.

It can be a nightmare to start a new hobby.  I've spent a good part of the afternoon just researching where to research.  It sounds like this book is a good place to start, so I guess I'll buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Bonsai-Harry-Tomlinson/dp/1558591184/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411422691&sr=1-2&keywords=tomlinson+bonsai

I have played with bonsai off and on for 20+ years. I would strongly recommend a beginners class somewhere local. Dallas Bonsai Garden is a good place for supplies, I order mine online from them.

The book you referenced looks decent.

Careful care and watering is critical. I have killed plenty of bonsai over the years. Buying decent pots pays off in the long run. If you kill the tree you still have a nice pot for the replacement !

Well, my only experience with bonsai didn’t end well… Was tasked by the better-half to make some sushi trays – a project I really didn’t want… And was told to use traditional woods, tools and techniques... I mean really… sushi trays? out of traditional woods? with traditional tools? I mean really... I had the tools, but where was I going to get traditional wood? But it was a honey-do, so the honey needed to get his ass in gear…. Unfortunately, her collection of bonsai trees just didn’t yield enough bf to get the job done… :)

Bonsai is a deeeeep rabbit hole. Pruning and forming are daily chores. Feeding even more so.

Real masters don't use pots, they grow the trees in depressions on boulders, applying nutrient mud with a brush, and training the roots to grow into the cracks of the rock. The idea being to recreate the classic lone tree on the windblown cliff top, but in miniature.

I'm pretty sure I could keep a county fair goldfish alive longer than a bonsai...

When my ex left she abandoned a Ficus tree. I got tired of hauling in in for the winter and dragging back out on the deck again in the spring. Chopped the canopy down, brutally reduced the root ball and it looks like a miniature rain forest tree today !

I will get a picture of it to post if I can get home before dark one day this week.

Bonsai is a deeeeep rabbit hole. Pruning and forming are daily chores. Feeding even more so.

Real masters don't use pots, they grow the trees in depressions on boulders, applying nutrient mud with a brush, and training the roots to grow into the cracks of the rock. The idea being to recreate the classic lone tree on the windblown cliff top, but in miniature.

I'm pretty sure I could keep a county fair goldfish alive longer than a bonsai...

I challenge you to name a hobby worth pursuing that isn't a crap top of work.   All the good ones are.  I suppose bonsai is like so many others, in that you can take it as casually or seriously as you want.  I don't see myself climbing atop the nearest rocky outcropping to paint nutrient mud onto a sapling...I just want a few bad ass little trees on my back deck so I can stare at them while I get drunk once every few months or so.  Or whatever.

Pruning and feeding isn't required daily, and watering can be set on a timer so that it doesn't really require that much constant attention.  I'm sure some species are more finicky than others, so I'll go into it with that in mind.  And I'm sure I'll kill a tree here or there in the beginning...that's just part of the learning curve.

And I'm sure I'll kill a tree here or there in the beginning...that's just part of the learning curve.

My neighbor is big into bonsai. He is a member of a bonsai club here in Indy and thoroughly enjoys it. No doubt there is one in St. Louis. Just looked and there is, http://www.stlbonsai.org/events.htm As far as killing trees, he had a major die off last winter due to the super cold. Makes me wonder why he didn't put them in his greenhouse/shed instead of leaving them on his deck. Lots of work to risk losing them to something like that. As far as watering, he has an automatic system set up to control the water. Makes it really nice when he is away on travel that he doesn't have to worry about it or have to rely on a neighbor, i.e. me, to take care of it. I just go over there to make sure nothing gets toppled over if we have a storm blow through.

• Like 1

I wasn't thinking of a bonsai trees but, this summer I planted a maple seed in a peanut can of potting soil just to see if I could get it to grow.

I left it on the picnic bench on the patio and watered it every morning. Lo and behold it sprouted and started to grow after just a few days! I was ecstatic! 

Then one night, came a rain, a hard rain, and filled the peanut can with 5" of water! My poor little maple tree's roots came floating to the surface, the spindly little trunk fell to horizontal and the tiny, little leaves were stripped off of the limbs. My beautiful maple tree drowned!

But, the dandelion is going great guns! :) :)

Rog

Types of Artificial Bonsai

In recent years, the bonsai preserved tree has come into popularity.

preserved-juniper-sm-300.jpg

According to the manufacturer, the bonsai shown here has real tree foliage preserved using “a 100% natural process.” 

They are then attached to trunks from real plants and placed in bonsai containers (usually mounted in foam or resin.) Many even have realistic looking moss.

Silk plants have also gained in popularity.  Many are very realistic appearing.

Varying types of artificial bonsai may be the perfect answer for hotels and restaurants or even the person who insists on a “coffee table bonsai ."

Read more: http://www.bonsaimary.com/artificial-bonsai-trees.html#ixzz3EAajmKsi

Kinda defeats the purpose, at least in context to my interest in the whole thing.  I think the artistic journey of shaping a tree over the course of years and decades is super cool.  I'm pretty familiar with the pruning process and how to correctly shape most trees...it's the horticultural aspect that I need schooling on.  I've been researching quite a bit and I'm getting pretty excited about starting.  It's a neat hobby.

Kinda defeats the purpose, at least in context to my interest in the whole thing. I think the artistic journey of shaping a tree over the course of years and decades is super cool. I'm pretty familiar with the pruning process and how to correctly shape most trees...it's the horticultural aspect that I need schooling on. I've been researching quite a bit and I'm getting pretty excited about starting. It's a neat hobby.

Good luck to ya, Kiki. You must have a lot more patience / less distractions than I! We expect to see some photos in a year or so....

I hope to have some! :)

No, I'm not that patient, but I do enjoy taking care of my plants.  As long as you keep them watered and fed, they don't really require that much maintenance.  Watering can be done automatically, so that's not really a burden at all.  Pruning can be done as frequently as desired, and that tends to be my favorite part of plant care anyway.

I have a lot of prep work to do before I get started.  Just like woodworking, it's a long, slow journey.