Feather Board - Table Saw

Illini40

Could you help me understand the scenarios / reasons / how I would use one Kreg feather board on my table saw?

In purchasing my first table saw (R4512) from CL, the gentleman tossed in one Kreg feather board attachment. Since I am a newbie, I'm open to learning to use it properly to add safety and accuracy in my cuts going forward.

Not familiar with that particular featherboad design, but typically a single board is placed just in front of the blade to hold the stock tight against the fence for rip cuts.

Sometimes a second featherboard can be attached to the fence to hold the stock tight against the table as well.

Never position a featherboard so that it pushes the kerf closed!

• Like 2

When ripping a board (cutting it so the cut is done in the same direction as the grain as opposed to perpendicular to the grain) it is important that the board is pressed tight against the fence so the cut is parallel to the other side of the board that is against the fence. It is very easy to accidentally have the board move away from the fence a couple of millimeters (and millimeters count!). A featherboard keeps the wood pressed against the fence. I use one in almost every cut I make. The exception being when one will not fit, or when I have such a big piece I think I can control the pressure against the fence easily using my own hands. 

If you do not have a push stick yet then get one or make one right away. They are super important to your safety.

Here is a video that covers the basics. 

http://www.powertoolinstitute.com/pti_pages/safetyvideo_3_TableSawSafety_eng.asp

Norm

http://www.iptv.org/series.cfm/47/new_yankee_workshop/ep:1908/episodes

I also have been wondering if I can buy or make a riving knife for my DeWalt 746 that will not become lose when you raise and lower the blade. I removed my splitter with built in blade guard because it wouldn't stay straight and would cause wood to bind with the blade. DeWalt sent a tech out who said it was from the blade guard hitting the opening when the blade was raised or lowered. Even with a new blade guard when the blade was raised and lowered it would catch on the back of the table. So the next time you used the saw the splitter and blade guard would twist as you pushed the wood through. DeWalt's official answer was to tighten the bolts any time you raised the blade. But to do this you have to flip the blade guard out the way which can also lead to misalignment. So I decided that this piece of safety equipment was more dangerous in place than operating without it. Newer saws have riving knives that would be a nice thing to have on mine. 

I should up my video watching. I am only up to lower 40s on the front end and at 205 on the way going back. I have ordered the Microjig splitter and a pair of Grippers from Lowe's.

I tried find a store that had them in my area but the site kept crashing. So I called them up and explained that I wanted store pickup so I can get my disabled vet discount. I am 75% Scot after all. I found out that Illinois stores can't get them for some stupid lawyer reason. So asked me if I minded if she asked her manager about a discount. I said what do I have to lose. Her manager gave me a better discount cause of the difficulties that I was having and free shipping. The package should get her on Tue. or Wed. 

So I thing that I did good with discount it was ~$86 less than the cost of the Gripper package. I told the wife that I was going to be a lot safer in the shop. She then asked how much. I told her. If I want to get to open any Christmas presents this year, I am done spending money on the shop. I don't want to sound like I am whipped but she is right. I have spent a lot on the hobby this past couple weeks, She also knows that I want a thickness sander and Bill's 1951 Mercury Monterey Coupe. I can most likely make enough money for sander when what I didn't bring home from Paul's shop sells in auction. Getting the car is up to the banker that manages our corporation's trust. I am planning on wearing a suit to talk to him tomorrow. Would you dress up to talk to a banker?

Would you dress up to talk to a banker?

I'd wear a slightly nicer version of whatever I usually wear to work or church (if you go to church every week - weddings and funerals don't count).  Don't wear a "costume", just a respectable and presentable version of who you are.  You just need to look neat and clean.

i believe it was wdwerker who suggested the micro jig splitters to me a couple months back, and I love em.  have an older unisaw and no riving knife, the after market splitters are really pricey, so I got the micro jig and haven't looked back. easy to install and you can make micro adjustments to kerf width and so forth.  

Ive never found the need for feather boards on a tablesaw. That being said tablesaw has become a generic term. A full sized cabinet saw is usually going to have much more space in front of the blade compared to all the other smaller conventional saws. Just use some common sense and keep your fingers away from the blade. If you have a little job site or hybrid saw then spend some time learning how to use and make feather boards.

I use feather boards almost every time I rip on a table saw (although I now do most of my ripping on the band saw). I've also used them when cutting multiple this strips-just move the fence over after each rip until the board just touches. There are probably better ways, but it works well for me. I use a magnetic feather board, it works on my bandsaw as well.