Table saw miter gauge setup

Tom Cancelleri

I see most people using the left miter slot on their table saw for their miter gauge. I have my Incra 1000SE setup for the right slot and my Incra Miter5000 set up for the right slot as well, with the left slot for the cutoff support. I figure the wing and extension table out to the right make it better for supporting longer pieces. Is this just a preference thing, or is there any sort of advantage to having it on the left that I'm not aware of?

Often this has to do with a length of stock that will hit the fence. If you are careful enough to not need the fence setting anymore it is like Don said. If, however, you worked yourself into a corner...

If you have a rectangular fence rail and you find yourself in this situation rather than make a unsafe cut or awkward cut just clamp a piece of scrap to your fence rail butted against the fence and lift it off the saw. When you put it back it will be perfect. I just use a kreg clamp no scrap.

If you have a rectangular fence rail and you find yourself in this situation rather than make a unsafe cut or awkward cut just clamp a piece of scrap to your fence rail butted against the fence and lift it off the saw. When you put it back it will be perfect. I just use a kreg clamp no scrap.

Or use the left slot...just sayin'.  :)

OK I will state a example of my wierdness. I have a regular sled for the left slot and my dado sled is for the right slot. I use my dado sled for support for cut offs it has a piece that I made to fill the gap so there is only about a 1/8th" gap. that attaches to the upright of the dado sled. I have an aluminum guide on both sleds. I have even thought about making a sled that spans both slots.