2.5" -> 4" tool port?

daviddoria

I have a 4" dust collector and a bandsaw with a 2.5" port. What I'm doing now is stepping a 4" hose down to a 2.5" hose to plug into the 2.5" port. However, this seems to really severely limit the airflow. I'm now trying to follow the saying "reduce as close to the tool as possible", which to me means to use an adapter to make the 2.5" port into a 4" port, and plug the 4" hose directly into that. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find such an adapter. How do you guys do this?

Thanks,

David

Ah I see. So even though the 2.5" port on item 89195 in your link is exactly the same as my tool port (hence, you can't plug one into the other), I could connect those two parts with a rubber fitting. I'll give that a try, thanks! It always seems as though there are a zillion adapters in the catalogs, and never the one I need! I've done some other connections similar to the way you've recommended, and they always seem so bulky - whereas if they just made an adapter that would slip fit the final connection would be a few inches shorter and less unweildy.

Ah I see. So even though the 2.5" port on item 89195 in your link is exactly the same as my tool port (hence, you can't plug one into the other), I could connect those two parts with a rubber fitting. I'll give that a try, thanks! It always seems as though there are a zillion adapters in the catalogs, and never the one I need! I've done some other connections similar to the way you've recommended, and they always seem so bulky - whereas if they just made an adapter that would slip fit the final connection would be a few inches shorter and less unweildy.

They do that, they don't sell as many fittings or adapters. It's an evil plot. You could try one of the 2.5" couplers they have, but there's no guarantee if it will be a nice secure fit. May just fall off.

Here is the rubber one Rockler sells: http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-2-1-2-rubber-union-for-dust-collection

Here is the one Lowe's sells: http://www.lowes.com/pd_23444-34146-RC50X40_4294820991__?productId=1065417&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

It can add up if you need multiple.

IMO its a wasted exercise you will have so little flow it wont do any good. Better off just using a shop vac.

This.  If a tool has a port less than 4", it's probably setup for collection via shop vac with its higher pressure less volume collection.

What bandsaw is it?  If you really want to use your dust collector, bust out the tools and modify that saw for a 4" dust port.  Rockler sells a simple straight one and also one with an elbow.

Keep in mind that with a 4" hose all your going to get is about 450 cfm as you reduce the size air flow is going to drop dramatically. A bandsaw needs 650 minimum so its going to be difficult to get good dust collection even with a factory 4" port. I have seen some guys put a wooden shroud around the under side of the table that seems like it may be a good idea.

Either add a hole in the lower door and split the 4" to two 2-1/2" hoses, one to the existing port and one to your new hole, or ditch the existing port and like PB said make your own shroud that goes under the table.  Mine hangs off the pin that keeps the two sides of the table in alignment.  You have to take it off when you tilt the table but that doesn't happen very often.

You'll probably need a rubber fitting to go between the reducer and the tool port, you can usually get ones that fit at the big box in the plumbing section.

Excellent suggestion!

The rubber plumbing fittings are really useful!  Not only can you get them to adapt two sizes of pipe, they also come in versions to connect to of the same size, and they offer some wiggle room to accomodate different types of pipe.  For example, a 4" dust pipe is often not compatible with certain 4" PVC or metal pipes.   The rubber fittings can fit both.     

You can replace the included hose clamps with tool-free clamps like THESE for easy changes.