Setting up shop!

shaneymack

OK, there's no such thing as a quiet planer. You'll find that out the first time you fire it up and didn't realize the wife was taking nap :angry:

But is does look really nice!

Funny you say that. My pregnant wife and two daughters are taking a nap and i just planed some wood and no one woke up! It is remarkably quiet compared to my 20" straight blade general international i used to have.

Its all that cast iron the sound can't escape. Now, my chinese aluminum 13" planer (that I have bolt down to keep from moving) makes the brick on the house vibrate :D

Lol.

Im not sure what it is but this planer is amazing. Its my first experience with powermatic. I have a powermatic sjointer as well but haven't had time to set the beds coplanar yet so i haven't tried it. I hope the jointer is as awesome as the planer!

• Like 1

Is it going to be moveable? It looks really close to garage door to plane anything over a few feet

Set up as is i have about 54" planing capacity before i hit the wall next to the garage door. I figure that is pretty good for the majority of stuff i would plane. If not it has an integrated mobility kit and is really easy to move. My shop is so small and everything is so big i had to be sure everything has wheels and is mobile. I can, without too much trouble, move the planer and plane up to 75-80" without having to move my tablesaw, jointer and open the garage door. Of course the first real project ( i say " real because i just built and installed a closet organizer/ shoe rack in our front entrance closet but it was out of baltic birch so not really woodworking to me) on the honey do list is 2 walnut beds for both of my daughters and that will mean moving stuff around to get the 75" rails planed.....

• 3 weeks later...

So things are slowly moving forward with the shop. The new bandsaw is ordered. Laguna lt 18 hd with free driftmaster fence, free mobile base and free 1 1/4" resaw king blade. Should get it in 2 weeks.

I have been working (at a snails pace) at an assembly/outfeed table. With the wife very pregnant and 3 kids to take care of it makes shop time pretty limited but i am very grateful for the time i do get. Here are a couple photos of the progress.post-16857-142782983624_thumb.jpgpost-16857-142782984093_thumb.jpgpost-16857-14278298454_thumb.jpg

....built to match the sawstop.

I have no bench or work surface right now so i had the formica on a piece of scrap plywood on some sawhorses. I got the ply from one of our jobsites and thought i took all the screws out. Apparently i didnt. Dammitpost-16857-142782996812_thumb.jpg

Right in the top of the table. Any ideas of how to repair this? Epoxy?

Also, when i built my torsion top it was dead flat within thousandths because i assembled it on the granit island. Now that i put the formica on due to the contact cement "boogers" it is no longer as flat as it was. The other side which is still just bare mdf is dead flat. How flat does the assebly table have to be? I used to just have a 30" hollow core door as my workbench/outfeed table/assembly table so i guess this is quite luxury, i just wanted it perfect.....

The torsion box is one of those mythical shop fixtures that sounds like something you can't live without but isn't really necessary.  A great idea in theory and something nice to have, but in practice it's overkill birthed from the woodworker's engineering brain.  We're not talking about the sole of a plane...if your joinery is done correctly, most of it will go together square whether you glue it up on a torsion box or a pile of rocks.  It's nice to have a flat reference surface to glue on...but I use my bench when that's really important, otherwise I glue up mostly on my outfeed table...which isn't dead flat but definitely flat enough.

With that said, if I had the space for a dedicated assembly table, I would build a torsion box. :D

• Like 2

Ok thanks Don, i will put my feeler guages away now.....lol

I guess the torsion box top was overkill then?

Do you have any trade secrets on how to repair the small hole in the formica?

Yup concentrate on making good square joints and leave the feeler gauges in the drawer. Personally I would drill a hole in the chip plunge a router bit and fill with epoxy. Color it with a sharpie and pretend its not there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The shop is becoming more funtional by the day! Slowly but surley i will have a nice organised place to work soon.

I got the outfeed table finished

post-16857-142949262737_thumb.jpgpost-16857-142949263147_thumb.jpg

Got the clamps off the floor and on the wall!

post-16857-14294926539_thumb.jpg

Still waiting for the Laguna bandsaw. 25 days after ordering they still havent shipped it.....

I did finally pick up a small drill press. Pretty sweet adjustable speed with digital display for the speed readout. I thought the powermatic was the only one that had that feature but i found this steel city for 1/6th of the price. It should do for now

post-16857-142949283949_thumb.jpg

Next project i will build a workbench.