Closed stand bandsaw vibration

estesbubba

I bought this Jet 14" bandsaw used a few weeks ago. When I was checking it out it ran very smoothly. When I brought it home I removed the top from the base and noticed the belt had bad set so I bought a cogged belt. I've been trying to track down off-and-on over the past weeks why it has a bad vibration. I removed the wheels and belt and ran it and no vibration. I put the belt back on and vibration came back. I tried loose belt, tight belt, and in-between and same vibration. The pulleys are aligned and I pulled the bottom wheel bearings and they spin freely. Finally gave up, pushed the saw back against the wall, turned on and it was running smoothly.

First thing I did before putting back together was placed a brass shim in a corner because the base wobbled. Removing this shim will have a slight wobbled when off but the saw runs smoothly. Put it back and vibration comes back. 

I noticed some bolt holes on each corner inside the base. Are these meant to have rubber feet or something? Are they not meant to be put directly on concrete? Ideally I would like the saw to not wobble (while very slight) but that currently causes vibrations. 

Any ideas on what to do? Maybe the answer is as simple as only having 3 corner touch. 

IMG_0573.JPG

I have the same saw, same situation. Bought it used from a guy who was running it with a blade that had a 3/4" kink in it. He thought it was running just fine...

I took it home and tuned it up. That closed base is very sensitive to any sort of uneven floor, or to any sort of trash under the "foot" area. I'm definitely building a rolling cart/adjustable foot stand.

Other than that I just put some cool blocks on it and a Timberwolf blade and it's a dream! Terrible dust collection, though.

Your going to get vibration out of a 14" saw the blade will always have little bit of a whipping action causing an imbalance. Set it on one of those rubber mats you have on your floor in the photo.

Well crap that was too easy of a solution and worked like a champ! Needed to put mats around the saw anyway and just added an extra one. It not only passes the nickel test but is way more quiet and you can barely hear it running. I removed all the upper and lower guides and installed the Carter Stabilizer. For around $350 I think I'm going to have a pretty good setup for curved cuts.

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

I have the same saw, same situation. Bought it used from a guy who was running it with a blade that had a 3/4" kink in it. He thought it was running just fine...

I took it home and tuned it up. That closed base is very sensitive to any sort of uneven floor, or to any sort of trash under the "foot" area. I'm definitely building a rolling cart/adjustable foot stand.

Other than that I just put some cool blocks on it and a Timberwolf blade and it's a dream! Terrible dust collection, though.

Does yours have the 2" port on the door like mine or 4" molded into the cast iron? Either way I'm guessing they both stink. I'm going to look into buying a jointer hood and see if I can figure a way to mount under the table. 

Does yours have the 2" port on the door like mine or 4" molded into the cast iron? Either way I'm guessing they both stink. I'm going to look into buying a jointer hood and see if I can figure a way to mount under the table.

I've got the grizzly 14" With the 4" port molded into the cast iron. It's about worthless as far as collection is concerned. A lot of dust pools on the top of the stand. I've just kind of given in and accepted it.