Hand saw recommendation

Just Bob

I am starting to restore "Big Foot" and since I am not a hand tool guy, I need some advice.http://www.woodtalkonline.com/topic/18122-saving-bigfoot/

I need to cut off the base of the sculpture (as close to the bottom of the feet as possible) because it is completely rotted. I want the cut to be as clean as possible.  Other than knowing I need a crosscut saw I have no idea what saw or type of saw would be best.  I would rather not buy a "one off" saw and so I am looking for something that will have continued used. I appreciate your recommendations.

bigfeet.JPG

Access to a porta-band? Might just go chainsaw and hand planes. You would likely have to dress a hand saw cut anyway. 

I thought about that, I would like to have one for other stuff that I do, but I just don't see  the depth of cut working.

If you're set on using a handsaw, I'd probably try a kataba.  It has no spine so depth of cut doesn't matter.  It's like a giant flush trim saw...you can reference off the base and will probably end up with a fairly clean and true cut if you take your time.

If you're set on using a handsaw, I'd probably try a kataba.  It has no spine so depth of cut doesn't matter.  It's like a giant flush trim saw...you can reference off the base and will probably end up with a fairly clean and true cut if you take your time.

Eric,

That is certainly a possibility.  Any preference to brand/quality?

My thought, too.  That, or a ryoba.

Man that thing is so cool, I also would either give a ryoba a try or take kev up on his offer to give one of his a try. 

What're you do, I'd try to clean your cutting path before you get there with a brush to remove anything that my dull the teeth. 

A quick wand with a metal detector would also be a god idea, there is absolutely no telling what may be hiding in there. The artist easily could have busted a chunk off and screwed it back on any you'd never know till your running your saw against it  

Thanks for the offer and advice everyone!  Kev I've got this thing about borrowing tools, even if it is something I probably wont break. I just don't want to have something else to worry about.  I went to Rockler today and picked up a ryoba (I think) I can't read Japanese.  It is going work, got about half way though on one foot, but the rot is a lot worse than I thought so I stopped and now I am soaking the rot with wood hardener.  Will let it set up for a couple of days and then get back to cutting.

Brendon, it turns out that thing is somewhat of local legend we've met more people who just stop by and ask if big foot is still around. Plus my wife has become good friends with the widow of the carver and she wants to come and check my work.  So no pressure at all!

Thanks for the offer and advice everyone!  Kev I've got this thing about borrowing tools, even if it is something I probably wont break. I just don't want to have something else to worry about.  I went to Rockler today and picked up a ryoba (I think) I can't read Japanese.  It is going work, got about half way though on one foot, but the rot is a lot worse than I thought so I stopped and now I am soaking the rot with wood hardener.  Will let it set up for a couple of days and then get back to cutting.

Brendon, it turns out that thing is somewhat of local legend we've met more people who just stop by and ask if big foot is still around. Plus my wife has become good friends with the widow of the carver and she wants to come and check my work.  So no pressure at all!

You live close enough I'd of come lent a hand..  No worries..  Good luck with the project.