Simple outdoor bench

Woody1

Built this 2x4 bench from Jay Bates' plans. It was pretty easy for a beginner like me and I definitely recommend this project for other beginners! I learned a lot about angles and pocket hole joinery. Took about 3 or 4 hours in total to build but next time it will take even less time.0KTQiI.jpg

Edited by Woody1

If you paint it (which I would recommend) It is going to really drink up the paint and probably take a primer coat as well as two or three coats of color. And depending where you live weather-wise, plan on re-painting the back and seat about every two years or so.

I live in Kansas and we get ALL kinds of weather from 108 degrees in summer (now) to -30 degrees in winter with all the usual rain, snow and ice. I tend to use cedar and NO finish for outdoor stuff here. Yes, it turns a silver grey and doesn't look all that well but, the up-keep is much easier. :) And cedar weathers much better than pine anyway.

Redwood and teak are other good outdoor woods although much more pricy. This is a good start and now that you have one under your belt, you might want to build another out of a bit more expensive wood next time.

Rog 

After painting all sides (especially  the ends and bottoms of the legs) I would put 4 concrete cap blocks under the legs. You could cover them with mulch. The legs in contact with the ground will start rotting pretty quickly.

You could also replace the legs with pressure treated 2x4's. I think you need to let the treated weather a month or more before painting.