happy Thanksgiving

rodger.

Ok, I'll show my stupid Americanism. 

What are Canadians celebrating on Thanksgiving? 

we celebrate for the same reasons Americans do - to give thanks for a good harvest.  We celebrate earlier as our harvest probably came sooner than the USA due to the fact we are farther north.

No Black Friday up there? Or is it white Friday because it's snowing already?

That was gonna be my question too...is your Thanksgiving the kickoff to a massive binge of consumerism like ours is?  Perhaps not, being so far out from Christmas.

BTW...our Thanksgiving is not to give thanks for a great harvest.  It's to give thanks to the Native Americans who taught us how to survive in this strange land...then we could wipe them from the face of the earth and build strip malls.  LOL

That was gonna be my question too...is your Thanksgiving the kickoff to a massive binge of consumerism like ours is?  Perhaps not, being so far out from Christmas.

BTW...our Thanksgiving is not to give thanks for a great harvest.  It's to give thanks to the Native Americans who taught us how to survive in this strange land...then we could wipe them from the face of the earth and build strip malls.  LOL

Did the aboriginal peoples not celebrate thanksgiving (or a similar celebration near harvest time) before the Americans arrived?

im afraid we have no Black Friday, but we always partake in the American one!  Well maybe not this year as our dollar is in the toilet and any savings would quickly be negated by the exchange.

Edited by Pug

Did the aboriginal peoples not celebrate thanksgiving (or a similar celebration near harvest time) before the Americans arrived?

im afraid we have no Black Friday, but we always partake in the American one!  Well maybe not this year as our dollar is in the toilet and any savings would quickly be negated by the exchange.

ya know, I don't think I've ever heard of the native Americans having some sort of thanksgiving. I think it would vary from tribe to tribe, but American educations are based on what the powers that be want us to learn, but that's another thread that Eric would close!

Did the aboriginal peoples not celebrate thanksgiving (or a similar celebration) before the Americans arrived?

I don't think so.  I'm pretty sure the Puritans brought it over from England and gave it the good ol' American twist.  I was obviously exaggerating with my explanation...but that's pretty much the crux of it if you boil it down.  I still enjoy binging on bird meat and spuds...and I am thankful...but I'm not in denial either.

Happy Thanksgiving to my canadian friends.  Frankly I think turkey is gross (at least the domesticated kind we eat).   Smoking it does make it better.  Sometimes I braise the legs and thighs in the oven and smoke the breast.  But typically I make a ham or smoked brisket instead.

Happy little fact.... domestic turkeys have such large breasts they can't actually copulate.  They are all artificially inseminated.  How is that for a let down?  "Honey, the boob job looks great but now I can't reach."     

Edited by Guest