I did it now... Ordered my table saw

xxdabroxx

I ordered my Grizzly G0715P, a mobile base, the 20A breaker, and a zero clearance insert to get me started.  Hopefully they will deliver it on my rural dead end street, otherwise I'm going to have to get creative with my shipping location.  I really don't want to load and unload this thing into the bed of my truck if I don't have to.  Now to hurry up and wait. 

• Like 2

Congrats! If you have a truck you can pick up the saw at the dock and they will load it into your truck. When you get it home you can remove all the components, cast iron wings, etc. That will leave you with the main cabinet which 2 (maybe 3) people can lift out of your truck. That's what I did with my SawStop and it was easy. 

I got high praise on delivery by being prepared. It is called a piano dolly here. 2x ends and 1x runners. I stiffened with "L" 2x bracing. The G0715P sat in the middle nicely. I nailed cleats to keep it from sliding as I had to pull it up my curb ramp to the driveway. I wrapped a rope around one end. If your road is long, garden cart wheels would work better than casters. (You also may be able to talk a driver into a fairly long reverse if your street is not busy.) It all depends on what is available inside that 60-80 miles you reference. Grizzly's shipping partner is superb. They call to schedule a delivery window and in my locale they chose the trailer length after asking me about street widths and turnaround options. They also brought a trailer with a lift gate because they were dropping at my curb  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Thats good to hear about their shipping company.  If they bring a short trailer, say 25-30', I think they will be able to back up a little bit from my driveway and turn around in the next street up.  I have a couple of furniture dollies that I'll have on hand, hopefully they will get it to the driveway as I don't think they will work well on my gravel patch between my driveway and the pavement. 

Dave, I have a gravel drive though it's probably not as long as yours.  Here's what's happened with my past few big tool deliveries.

• Pallet jack was a pain.  Ended up rolling it on sheets of 1/4" plywood.  Didn't work well.  Was a waste of plywood.
  • Furniture dollies were ok - the wheels are a bit small, though, so they're not great on gravel.
  • Tried to make a frame with 4" casters on it but couldn't get the pallet jack above the frame.
  • Screwed 4" casters to the bottom of the pallet - that was the big winner.
  • Like 1

I've only got to go about 10' on gravel, I've got a sheet of 3/4" OSB that will probably work ok.  Driveway is concrete, I have a pretty small lot its just in the county with no curb and gutter.  So long as it isn't raining that day the ground should be fairly hard. 

Thats a good idea screwing castors straight to the pallet though. 

My last order from grizz, a bandsaw was also a good shipping experience.  They sent a lift gate truck,  dropped at the curb,  amid the driver kindly said, "if you will ground guide me backing up to turn around, I'll help you carry the boxes into the garage."  I appreciated that even though my furniture dolly made it an easy one man move. 

I ordered my Grizzly G0715P, a mobile base, the 20A breaker, and a zero clearance insert to get me started.  Hopefully they will deliver it on my rural dead end street, otherwise I'm going to have to get creative with my shipping location.  I really don't want to load and unload this thing into the bed of my truck if I don't have to.  Now to hurry up and wait. 

Totally jealous! I need a new saw sooo bad!

• Like 1

Truck drivers are good at backing up!

Now rookies at the campground backing in trailers is another story. 

I've found being good at something and willing to do them are completely different.  haha. 

Side note:  Ever watched a woman trying to back a boat trailer down a launch ramp for the first time?  Oh man, that can be good.  Aside from the line of pissed off people above her.

Some Truck drivers are good at backing up!

Now rookies at the campground backing in trailers is another story. 

ftfy, I've seen many that have a heck of a time with anything but a straight back in to a dock. Granted I've had my share of difficulties trying to back my big truck into small driveways, cause if you get the start wrong, it sucks!