Blue penetrating stain

amateur eric

I'm making several wooden flags for a local store to sell. I'm making them all with pine stripes and oak as the union. They wanted 5 and the one I showed them was as shown in the picture, burned pine for the red stripes, lightly toasted pine for the white stripes, and oak that was lightly burned for the union with the stars. They liked how that looks but they want one to be full color like the flag, but they want it stained, not painted. They want to be able to see the grain in the wood. Now, I have red oak stain for the red stripes. I've seen white stain at Home Depot before. Now for the blue, I can't find a penetrating stain that will compliment the wood grain and still give that look of the actual flag. My tips on where to look? Sherwin-Williams didn't have any penetrating stain. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e17eaf5b9e3e4fe7611d8b5328df7099.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not related to your question, but could there be a wood movement issue with your flag?  The grain in the stars section is oriented 90 degrees from the stripes and if it is glued to the stripes at the bottom, its across-the-grain movement would be restricted on that side.  Same for the stripes glued to the right side of the stars.  Not sure if that would pose an issue or not, since they are not bound on all four sides. Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid.

• 3 weeks later...
Not related to your question, but could there be a wood movement issue with your flag?  The grain in the stars section is oriented 90 degrees from the stripes and if it is glued to the stripes at the bottom, its across-the-grain movement would be restricted on that side.  Same for the stripes glued to the right side of the stars.  Not sure if that would pose an issue or not, since they are not bound on all four sides. Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid.

I'm gluing everything on the backside to 1/4" ply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, amateur eric said:

I'm gluing everything on the backside to 1/4" ply.

Ouch! Wood movement will surely be an issue then. When humidity goes up it'll curve convex, when it goes down, it'll curve concave. Except for the part with the stars, it'll try to do it's own thing.

The only way I can think of to make it work is use a backer of 3/4" plywood or MDF & use veneer to make the flag.

If I stapled everything from the back do you think that would prevent movement?

I really dislike the idea of using MDF, simply because how it can easily fall apart over time if it gets wet. Not to mention, the original design of these flags are much more rustic than this one, so a little warping of the wood wouldn't do it much harm, unless it decides to twist very badly

1 hour ago, amateur eric said:

If I stapled everything from the back do you think that would prevent movement?

You can't prevent wood movement.  It will move with changes in temperature and humidity.  The only thing you can do is account for it in your design.  As Brendon said, one way to do it is to leave space between each piece to allow for expansion and contraction.  Another way would be to just orient the grain of the stars in the same direction as the stripes and don't use a backer at all.  When all glued up, the wood could expand and contract across the grain there would be nothing restricting it.   If you must have the grain oriented the way you have it in the picture, the only other thing I can think of would be to run tongues along the bottom and right side of the stars, and corresponding grooves in  the stripes, and only glue or nail the stars into the stripes near the bottom right corner.  It would basically be like a captured panel, but with a frame only on two sides.  This should allow the wood to move freely. 

If you used a wood with little grain, such as poplar for the field behind the stars 7 then oriented it the same direction as the stripes it would look great & no movement issues.

Back to the veneer idea; if you don't like MDF (I hate it too) then use Baltic Birch  plywood. It's great stuff.