Chess table - substrate, straight up, or frame/panel?

Building a chess table with a chess board, and I have extra boards. I could just rout the edges on one and call it a day. The thickness is ~3/4" of walnut/maple hardwoods.

But, I would prefer to have some edge around some of the other boards. I could make these as though they are cabinets with frame/panel joints. I could add a ply substrate and attach the borders to the ply to let the chess table expand.

I am sure there are several other viable options. WWwtoD?

You can see my high-tech clamping jig show below, three pieces of wood - two sides perp. to each other screwed into a substrate.

IMG_0671.JPG

Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet but, I'm trying to figure out your question..

Are you wanting to add legs and turn this into a table?

Are you wanting to add a border around it?

Or, are you just wanting it to be thicker?

Sorry for the confusion!

Frame and panel with no substrate would be best. If starting from scratch make the outer ring pieces a little wider so the exposed squares would all be equal. Only attach the legs and base to the frame, let the panel(chess board) float.

Another approach would be frame and chess board all from veneers and wood movement wouldn't be a problem.

Allow me to clarify. For the purposes of this thread, I am building a chess board. Not a table. This will sit on your counter or table and you play chess. It has no legs.

My question is what do I do for the frame and panel? I do not want a big border around the board, just 1" or so.

WWwtoD?

The issue with adding a frame around the board is that it will restrict wood movement and eventually could blow out on you.

As an alternative, you could build a bottom panel for it that has a frame attached leaving about 1/16" all around the board.  The board could either just sit in it loose or be attached with screws thru elongated holes to allow for wood movement.

If you build another in the future, Steve is correct in that it would be best to incorporate the frame into the panel. 

My latest chess table.  Off center turned legs, birdseye maple (thanks  Eric).  Yes, do something to float the board inside the frame.

Many years ago in 9th grade shop we made chess tables and the idiot teacher had us glue in the frame.  I bet they all eventually failed.

IMG_1894.JPG

• Like 2