Quick band saw question for the experienced...

bm3324

I was just given a 12" craftsman belt driven band saw. It runs great but the rubber tire is coming off (interestingly enough the blade still stays on the wheel perfectly centered). After running for about 30 seconds, the lower tire slips off to the front of the wheel. 

I searched the forum and didn't find any topics with this same problem. 

Before I do anything, I figured I'd ask. Is this just a simple issue where I need to replace the tires? 

Thanks in advance! 

First thing consider googling around for the specific model number, you may find a PDF of the manual, which will answer this and other questions for your specific tool, plus let you know what size blades to order in the future.

You can check the belt tension just to make sure it is set up before replacing the belt. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

First thing consider googling around for the specific model number, you may find a PDF of the manual, which will answer this and other questions for your specific tool, plus let you know what size blades to order in the future.

You can check the belt tension just to make sure it is set up before replacing the belt. 

Thanks! I just did that! Found the manual and familiarized myself with it. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bm3324 said:

Thank you for the fast response! One follow up question. For a 12" band saw, I'm assuming I need to order 12" tires. Right? 

Correct.  Urethane tires go on easily although I have seen some remarkably Rube Goldberg methods of getting them on(???).  I use  small parallel clamp to hold the tire at one location on the wheel and then run a large round shaft screwdriver around to slip the tire on; easy peasy.  Avoid adhesives.

• Like 1