my summer project

dennygm

Okay so I'm assuming there's a question somewhere.

End grain will always be darker than the rest because it soaks up more finish.  You can try sanding it to a higher grit but ultimately it's always going to be darker to one degree or another.  Just embrace it, that's how real wood looks.

I'm going to edit your title to make it shorter...your post title doesn't need to be three sentences long.

2 hours ago, freedhardwoods said:

Didn't Marc demonstrate in one of his videos about using a clear coat of some kind first so the stain doesn't soak in as much?

I've seen this before. a pre stain or lighter coat of stain should have a similar effect, though you have to watch for compatibility.

All this trickery is a waste of time.  Stop using stain and let the wood be wood.  Clear finishes will also darken end grain more than long grain but so what...it's what real wood looks like.  If you want dark wood, use dark wood...using stain is like painting over the Mona Lisa with crayons and glitter glue.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

You can seal the end grain first with something like dewaxed shellac to prevent the stain from soaking into the fibers too much, but I'd test it out first.  I've read about it, but I think it's really hard to get stain applied evenly no matter what the technique.  The pictures look great though.  I'm guessing it's much more visible to you than to anyone else who will see it.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 8:45 AM, Eric. said:

All this trickery is a waste of time.  Stop using stain and let the wood be wood.  Clear finishes will also darken end grain more than long grain but so what...it's what real wood looks like.  If you want dark wood, use dark wood...using stain is like painting over the Mona Lisa with crayons and glitter glue.

I feel this way to my core, but I do see projects from time to time--particularly QS white oak--that makes me rethink dyes and stain. I think the walnut stains all fall into the Mona Lisa with crayons bucket. I'm sure you were referring to dark stains and not to dyes or tinting. The latter can definitely be cool.