Tiny Shop conversation

Jesse

Thats because the second one hasn't even started yet haha. I've been dizzy busy and I'm trying to finish up some customer work in the shop so I can find some time to work on my own personal stuff.

I went through your build thread not too long ago, its looking great!

I don't know.  :lol:

The entirety of the interior was built like this: hardwood planks/boards attached haphazardly to the studs and joists in order to fit 1/4" plywood. One of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Finding a stud or a joist was a guessing game. If I can do it for not too expensively, I'm going to replace the  insulation at the roof (technique is negotiable, I'm not sure doing it by the book will make a difference). I'll probably just replace the ceiling with more OSB, as much as opening it up makes it feel bigger. It's a ways off though.

Lumber storage is vastly underrated.  I'm tired of having to shop for the material for the next project and immediately start working on it.  Even just a small rack for acclimation increases the shop function exponentially in my book.

What if you put up a drywall, but only on half of the ceiling?  Say, the left half?  Would that help anything?

Utilizing the ceiling for storage is a good idea, but i wouldnt suggest leaving the ceiling open, or even part of it, that is your biggest offender for energy loss.

I was thinking about energy loss originally, but then I saw that he is in Atlanta and I don't think there is much need for keeping in the heat  :)

• Like 1

So soon you forget...they got like an inch of snow this winter and it shut down the entire city.  Now they think they live in the Arctic Circle.

Lol. My friend lives in North Carolina, and is originally from here in Wisconsin. His first winter down there it snowed less than an inch, and none of it stuck to the ground seeing as the ground was too warm still and it just melted. The city was up in arms, and it was like the zombie apocalypse. Stores were cleared out of water, milk, bread, etc. in preparation for the impending doom of the storm!

I was thinking about energy loss originally, but then I saw that he is in Atlanta and I don't think there is much need for keeping in the heat  :)

It does go into the 40's in the winter there. Do you want to be applying finish at 68 degrees or 40 degrees?  :P

It does go into the 40's in the winter there. Do you want to be applying finish at 68 degrees or 40 degrees?  :P

Twenties, actually. This winter it got down to 8 with a wind chill of -20. Yes, the city shuts down with a certain amount of snow or ice, but that's what happens when you have like one plow. It doesn't make any sense for us to spend a bunch of money on an event which historically happens once every 7-10 years. We take a snow day, stay off the roads, and pick it back up the next day (usually).

The insulation will probably do the most good in summer, keeping the heat from soaking in from the roof. For winter, I need to put insulation under the floor.

You also want a barrier between the shop and our brutal summer heat ! I would make sure the attic has a vent fan or at the least one of those turbine vents.

There comes a point of diminishing returns with this building. There is no venting that I can tell (I think I know what a ridge vent looks like, and there isn't one). The interior and exterior were 1/4" ply. The shop is only 12x12, with carpenter bee and ant damage plus water damage and not level. I don't think I'll ever build a new shop on this property, but it might be better at some point to rent some space nearby. I haven't gotten into the calculations. It would be probably 12k to build the shop I want (and actually have power this time) at least, even if I could pull the permits to do so.

This is really just about trying to make the best of a bad situation. If I can figure out if it would be structurally sound to do so, I may move the joists up and eliminate all of the attic space aside for a vaulted ceiling. I do like how it feels more spacious, even if it isn't. I don't like to store a bunch of wood because I can't control the humidity.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I am new to wood working and the WW site. I know this thread is pretty old but it definitely applies to me. Like I mentioned already, I am NEW to woodworking, I am using it as rehabilitation as I am a 100% disabled vet and recently retired from the US Army with 29 years under my belt (so to speak). So I am looking to everyone to help with a couple of questions.

1. I have an older sears 12" bandsaw and an older sears contractor table saw, so should I be looking to upgrade these tools first or work with what I have and purchase a jointer or drill press...I just don't know where to start. I have already ran a 100a sub-panel to have several 220v outlets for whatever equipment I purchase. 

2. If anyone knows of a good school to get my skills off the ground in the Southern NJ/Phila area that would be greatly appreciated.

3. I have a single car garage that will be my shop with the exception of a shelf of sports equipment for my kids and a refrigerator & freeer, if anyone has plans on sketch-up that I can look at to help get my thoughts and execution together. 

Any and all input is welcome. Thanks!

If the equipment you already have is sound and works well I see no reason to dump it and get new just yet.  I'd focus on the tools you need.  Sure they're not top of the line or may take a little bit more fiddling to get high quality out of but I'd use the opportunity to get other tools first.

On the other hand if they tools are loose, not adjustable or unsafe I'd replace them in a heart beat.  Without having hands on experience with your tools I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you that you should get rid of them.

The safety gear ( or lack thereof) is a particular point to consider on older tools. If your table saw has no riving knife or splitter, look in to an aftermarket accessory, or a new saw. If you choose not to do that yet, do some research here and elsewhere to learn how to use the saw as safely as possible.

Just because you have older equipment is no reason to junk it and start over.  There are aftermarket parts you can use, like the BORK (Bolt On Riving Knife), the MicroJig Splitters (plastic or steel), and more.  If you've used any of the tools on any of the bases you've been to, you can compare what these feel like versus those.  If not, well, drop by and check in with the guys and talk shop, both literally and figuratively.  Take a look to see how they organize their space, but don't feel like you have to copy it.

You can also check Grizzly's site for their shop layout tool, which is a fantastic (and free) tool to work with layouts.  Remember to add zones for working around your tools so you can flip work around or get it off the tool.  (I'd include the link, but I don't happen to have it handy.)

I don't know what type of disability you have, and I'm not certain it's my business to know.  If mobility is an issue, there are several different sites that have photos of what some woodworkers have done to compensate for wheelchairs or crutches.  Some have adapted for other disability issues.  Check with your local VFW or AFL posts to see if someone is willing to invite you over to their shop and walk you through some stuff.

If you're looking for hand tool instruction, I could point you to one or two shops or schools.... for power tool instruction, I'm not much help.  Sometimes, though, the best instructor is experience.  Get out to the shop and make something.  Find your mistakes, figure out how they happened, and correct them with another version.  (Maybe you could start by framing up a cabinet for the sporting goods... either a basic box with vertical dividers or something similar to a locker room feel.  Plus it gives you the opportunity to check out your table saw.)

• 3 months later...

I am brainstorming again after this latest project, which has taught me a few things about my shop and how I do things. I made an offset router table, because I really wanted a free-standing table again, but might feel the need to combine it with something. The table surface was a big help, but I'm feeling the need for a MFT or something similar with how much I used the Domino and other small tools where I could have used better clamping. Or I need to finally fix my end vise so I can use it reliably, but even then is limited. I would love to combine the router table with a MFT-style surface, or anything else I could where I could keep the offset surface. Combining with my table saw isn't straightforward - the table is narrower between the rails, and the mobile base it sits on juts out with it's handles to the right, and outrigger to the left. A new base is an option, but takes away mobility options.

I appreciated the flip-top cart that holds my planer and sander, but hate the actual function of it. I always need one right after the other, and everything falls out either tool when inverted. I will probably go back to a traditional cart, with either the sander or something else below the planer. I could play with heights some and put the planer low, but that isn't ergonomic at all. I'm not getting rid of my jointer any time soon, but good Lord does it take up a ton of space and is awkward to boot. So much wasted space with the odd angles and big footprint.

Putting clamps in the back corner of a shop full of tools and storage on wheels is an awful idea, those will go near the door. I loved having the finished table outside as an additional work surface - a permanent outdoor table is on the project list. Too bad storage isn't a likely complement out there with security and nature issues.

Cochese, do you have photos of your flip top cart/table?  I'm in desperate need of inspiration, and the flip top is the only thing that really fits my shop.  (I'm thinking of leaving the other side empty for a work surface, but I still need inspiration.)