Auriou kidding me?

Eric.

I had to see what all the fuss was about, and frankly I was tired of the frustrating mediocrity of my Nicholson cabinetmaker's rasp, so I bucked up for a 10 inch 9 grain Auriou.  All I can say is this thing is...Bad. Ass.  Who would have thought?  A rasp that actually CUTS...fast and clean...instead of just mushing wood fibers into grooved poopiness.  I should have done this a long time ago...I'll be ordering more soon.  I'll let Ferris summarize my thoughts:

kb3008.jpg

kb3011.jpg

• Like 2

I have a #49 and #50 "made in USA" Nicholson's (as opposed to the new Brazilian variety with the tan-lines).  I was never impressed.  I have some luthier's rasps that are leagues beyond the Nicholson's.  Recently got a lot of Liogier rasps (like Auriou, hand-made in France) and now like and look forward to shaping with rasps.

excellent choice of video clip!  seems like i recently watched a video on the manufacturing process of auriou rasps.  and i use the term "manufacturing" loosely, as they are pretty much completely handmade.  the guys that ping in the little rows of "raspers" are unbelievable!  they're like human CNC machines.  if the video alone isn't enough to make you want one, i recommend checking your pulse.  those things are "so choice"!  

Yep, the price is what kept me from picking one up for so long.  But man, if I had known how night and day different these things are, I wouldn't have waited near as long.  It cuts like butta!  Best money I've spent in a while. 

Yep, the price is what kept me from picking one up for so long.  But man, if I had known how night and day different these things are, I wouldn't have waited near as long.  It cuts like butta!  Best money I've spent in a while. 

Good to know~ I've been going back and forth about these when thinking about doing more G&G stuff.   A good rasp would have saved me hours of sanding / rounding inside edges of the finger joints (can't do them on a router :angry: )..  I haven't done another project like that just because of the unnecessary effort :o.  you may have convinced me to bite the bullet!

Thanks Eric :ph34r:

They're not the same as the Auriou rasps, but Iwasaki makes very nice cutting files (available at Highland Woodworks)

Yes I agree, the Iwasakis are great tools. Quite different feel from a rasp...more like a float...but excellent shaping tools. Fast cutting and smooth surface.

I've seen people say that with regular cleaning, they continue to cut fairly well, and then to use an acid bath (i.e. vinegar, muriatic acid, etc), to "sharpen" the cutting edge by eating away the out layer of metal. It makes sense, though I've never done it myself.

Good recommendation Eric. I've been wondering about these rasps as the cheap ones I use to shape the transition between neck and headstock on guitars are not very good. I'll have to stump up the cash to get one. 

This tool would be perfect for that.  A rasp is useful for a million things, but I bought mine mostly to blend parts.  I personally guarantee this thing will make a huge difference for that task, because I know how you feel...I've been cursing through my rasp work my entire woodworking life, all the while unaware of the miracles the stinky cheese people were making with rasps.  Now I'm whistling while I work.  Just another testament to "you get what you pay for."  A cliche, yes, but more often than not, it's true.

I've seen people say that with regular cleaning, they continue to cut fairly well, and then to use an acid bath (i.e. vinegar, muriatic acid, etc), to "sharpen" the cutting edge by eating away the out layer of metal. It makes sense, though I've never done it myself. 

I was wondering about that.  I assume that sharpening a rasp mechanically is probably impossible, but I hate to think that such a nice tool has a finite life and eventually becomes basically disposable.  What's the best way to regularly clean these things?  Brass brush?  I wouldn't wanna give it an acid bath too often...just wanna keep the schmutz out of the "stitches."

I have a serious high-end hand tool problem. The problem is, I can't afford them. Even though I have absolutely ZERO use for something like that in my woodworking right now, I want one. I want one bad.

Just something about a precision crafted hand tool that I just gotta have.

Coincidentally, this months Popular Woodworking had an article on rasps, and the Auriou-Crazy was top on their list. However, for course work, they thought these hand cut rasps from Lee Valley were decent. Certainly far better than anything mass produced.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=20133&cat=1,42524

A lot cheaper too.

Yeah I bet they're decent...anything Lee Valley sells is at least worth considering since they don't really offer junk of any kind.

But that plastic handle gives me the heebie-jeebies.  Yuck.  Slap some rosewood on there and we'll talk.  :)

• 4 months later...

Fellas - sorry to bump a (relatively) old thread, but I just had to chime in because my new Auriou rasp ( a birthday gift) arrived the other day. I'm absolutely blown away. I'd always watched Marc use his rasps in his videos and then try to do the same thing with my home center rasp and be wondering "what the hell is he talking about, this tool sucks!"

As Eric said, it's a totally different experience. No mushy fiber poopiness. Yes, they are expensive (hence the reason I asked for it as a gift :) ), but I think this is one of those "buy the right tool once" examples. I've only had it a few days and basically have only played around with it on scrap, but I'm shaping some cabriole legs in my current project and I can't wait to put it to use.

You'll definitely like the premium rasps.  I had the same revelation when I got a set of Liogier rasps.  First project with them was to shape 5, uh, "wasp" legs.  Was a lot of fun and worked well; well enough that you thought less about the tool and what you were trying to accomplish.  I use them for a lot of shaping now even for minor stuff like hand recesses for a tray.

post-50-0-85346000-1382117665_thumb.png

Isn't it amazing how we often blame ourselves for poor hand tool results, but then we try a properly made example?  Rasps are a GREAT example...

Maybe the old saw "A poor workman blames his tools" should be changed to "A poor workman possibly hasn't tried good tools, but if he has, then maybe it's him (or her)?"