Your Thoughts on Forum Features

The Forum IS.  That's excellent.  I'm new here, and don't know enough to have an opinion about the other features.

I'm Steve Smith.  I'm a chemist.  I have from time to time at various sites in cyberspace helped folks that had chemical questions about stuff.  I don't know everything but I do know something... 

Full Disclosure...I am a manufacturer, and have been for 40 years.  I make epoxy products, including a really good glue for oily hardwoods.  It's not my intention to post advertising (I read the forum rules about that, and entirely agree);  I'd like to support the forum but don't see a direct link to how to do it in my situation.  I would have bought an advertising banner, but I understand that's not how it's done here.  I'd like to have a discussion with Forum Management about how I might contribute some support, as woodworkers in general are my customers; I find that if I make folks more able to use epoxy products in general (or just deal with weird chemical issues), more of everyone's glue and such will get bought and successfully used, and some of those will inevitably be mine.  Besides, I have a basic purpose in Life to help others.

So:  If anyone has a question I might answer, they can open up a Topic (in the general section, I would suppose).

Steve Smith

The Forum: Primary reason I come here.

Blogs: I read and participate on a lot of blogs at their source and so don't feel a need to read the redundant material here.  Weeding through the stuff I've already read elsewhere to find new content is kind of time consuming and I'm not likely to post my own blog entries so this has little to no interest for me.

Calendar: I know I'm missing out on something here.  Should check it more frequently.  Not likely I'll have something to add to it in the near future but who knows where it could lead.

Gallery: Love this.  When I see new images in the banner I almost always check them out and I've gone from time to time to look at other or older stuff for ideas, inspiration or just to say, "Wow! That's cool!"

Member Map: The my use of it wouldn't currently show it, I really like this feature and could see it becoming more useful in the future.

SketchUp Library: I haven't looked for plans to use but have contributed to it.  I would hate to see it go and could see myself adding more content in the future.

*New* Chat: Not much of a chatter.  Used to be but I find it eats up a lot of time.

I wonder if the forum should have a dedicated section for dust collection. Seems to be a very popular topic. Just an idea.

To be honest, it's going to take a lot of convincing for me to add any more forum rooms at this point. Not to say it can't be done, but if a particular topic fits fairly well under an existing room, it isn't likely that I'll separate it out.  

Hi Marc. At the risk of sounding like a suck up,Just want to say thanks for creating this presence on the web. I have just dumped facebook because there are too many masters for me to play to.

This forum is filled with like minded people and I find it a pleasure to wander around in here and check out the other members stuff, good or bad, and learn heaps or privately criticize. lol. Any way, on to your topic!

The Forum: Great, love it.

Blogs: Read one once, think it was Vic's. Loved it but I really don't have the time to go through such intense reading.

Calendar: I would like it if it was international in time and date. Correct me if I am wrong.

Gallery: Love it.

Member Map: Didn't know it existed, must have a look.

SketchUp Library: Never got my head around it but love Grizzly's shop design software.

*New* Chat:  Really cool when I can get a window that I am awake (Australia) and the rest of the world is as well. Some have asked me if I can tell them how the stock market is going as I am around 11 hours ahead of USA, lol.

Thanks again, and thank Nicole for me too. She must get pretty annoyed with the amount of time you dedicate to the site.

I'd like to support the forum but don't see a direct link to how to do it in my situation.  I would have bought an advertising banner, but I understand that's not how it's done here.  I'd like to have a discussion with Forum Management about how I might contribute some support,

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

I guess I count as Forum Management, but I'm posting in my usual capacity of Noisy Parrot.

Marc runs the Wood Talk Online Forum as a service to all mankind, because that's just the kind of guy he is.  He makes his money off of The Wood Whisperer site.  You can support the Forum by buying Wood Whisperer gear, shopping at affiliates through links on the forum or TWW, or joining the Guild.  There's that you should check out.

If you want to talk about advertising or getting "Vendor" status, IM The Wood Whisperer.