Sunset Lamps (In the Greene & Greene Style)

lonestarwood

They do look great.  I agree that the symmetry of the design has plenty of power when the plugs line up.  Have you found the screws to be sufficient, or are they too much?  What about matching tenons inside, so you can just use the dowels as a pin to hold them in place?

(not trying to detract from a fantastic design, just kicking ideas around.)

Is that a incandescent bulb, CFC, or LED?  And would those make a difference?

Really like this.  I mean, really really like it.  Nicely done.

Thanks for all the compliments.  I like the screws for the stability, but I think if I did it again, I would take the time to make a jig to use 1/4" dowels that way as someone else pointed out, the "ebony" plugs could be at the same level and uniform around the lamp.

As for the oily characteristics of Padauk, let me say this:  if that is a main issue that keeps you from using the wood, I highly suggest grabbing a bottle or 10 of that Liberon Finishing oil from Rockler.  It is pricey (around $47.00 for the large bottle, and 27.00 for the medium bottle), but the finish you get from it is amazing!  I usually use this in place of any stain because I am paying out the ying yang for exotic woods, the last thing I wanna do is change the color.  I use 0000 steel wool between coats and usually put 3-5 coats of this stuff on.  You can stop there and call it done because the oil will dry and harden after about a day or two.  I take it to the next level and then add that High Performance gloss or the satin to add the extra protection and acquire the sheen I am looking for.  This makes it pretty much a done deal. 

Going back to Liberon for a moment, it brings out characteristics in the wood you didn't know existed.  I rubbed some on a piece of regular red oak and was blown away.  Walnut, same deal, amazing color.

As for the bulb, the pics have a regular incandescent right now, but I made them to have a CFL.  I just have to find one that mimics that effect.  Like I said before, the color blast that came from these lamps blew my mind when I plugged them in for the first time, so in order to sell them as "Sunset Lamps", I have to retain that same lighting effect.  So if I can find a CFL that does that, I will go with it.  I was afraid that having an regular bulb would add too much heat and affect the adhesive I used for the veneer on the plexiglass, but someone pointed out that it seems I accidentally made enough space from the top for heat to escape.

This was my first attempt at lamp making.  I would love to do something like what duckkisser suggested with turning lamp shades, but alas, I do not own a lathe, and no room for it in my closet or my back porch for that matter at the moment.  Those were impressive though!

Hope I touched on or answered everyone's questions on the piece.

Very nice lamps! Did you use clear or white plexiglas ? I have some leveftover anigre veneer and plenty of plexiglas scraps. What kind of glue did you use?

I have some LED lamps from Costco that are dimmable and warm white in color. They even look like lightbulbs! The problem with CFL bulbs is the dimmable ones only drop about 40% then they cut out.

Thank you.  I used clear plexi.  I think it was 1/8" thick...maybe a littel less.  I forgot.  The glue I had to do some reseaerch on because I wanted to make sure the stuff wasn't ever going to come off.  I sanded the plexi with 100 grit to rough up the surface and then used 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive.  This stuff grips like nothing I have ever used.  Got it at HD.

If you can get a hold of some CFL's that have a true warm light like a 60-75 watt incandescent, then I think it will work.  I haven't had time to shop around and see myself.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

The lamps look great.  Thanks for the tips on finishing with Liberon oil and especially for the reference to William Ng's method of making plugs.  I just watched his video and couldn't believe how quickly and easily he got that perfect dome on his plugs. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...