Getting Started with Woodworking

NCwoodman

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and the woodworking world. I have always enjoyed watching the shows on TV and admiring wood furniture, and I have finally decided to take up the hobby. I am trying to put together my tools and figure out what I need to add (working on a Christmas list!).

While I see the benefit of using power tools, I am intrigued by the idea of using hand tools to craft with. I would like to supplement my tool list with hand tools to compliment what I already have. My current power tool list includes: Old Craftsman portable table saw (it's a real widowmaker), cheap miter saw, old hand router, circular saw, old cheap jigsaw, and a orbital sander.

What hand tools would be good to get so that I can accomplish a decent amount of things? I believe that I need to get some clamps, chisels and a hand plane. Anything else?

For what its worth, I would like to start with a few small projects, but I am thinking of making a Roubo workbench as a real starter project.

Thanks All,

1 or 2 decent chisels, #4 plane, square, and marking gauge. That's about all I will need for awhile in the hand tool world.

I picked up a older Stanley Bailey #4 on eBay for $40. Well worth the investment. I have CHEAP chisels, and I hate them. The edge crumples in a few good whacks. I really only use my 1/2" chisel, and wish I had a smaller size. So, for a birthday or christmas present I asked for a 3/16" Lie-Nielsen chisel. $55 for it, but it will last forever and be extremely versatile. I will use my bigger cheap chisels for the dirty work where sharpness and accuracy isn't the most important.

Hello NC,

Welcome to the forum  :). For me a real starter set would be general purpose chisels (Irwin blue chip or the like), a hard point panel saw (the throw away type), a #4 plane and a combination square. These tools will always be useful. Good luck on the Roubo, you making it up as you go or following plans?

Sam, funny you should say that I have just ordered a 12mm Ashley Iles MKII.

That is a heck of a first build!

First thing you should do is to get a Guild Membership.

Second, get a Low Angle Jack Plane. I like Lie-Nielsen, but some guys like the Lee Valley model. This is a great plane, and you can get other blades to make it more versatile.

You do need some chisels, nothing super expensive. The Stanley SweetHeart ones look nice for not too much money.

You need a couple of decent handsaws. Atleast a Rip and a Crosscut for joinery. This is a subject that gets a lot of debate here. I like Lie-Nielsen ones, some guys like the old ones from eBay.

You also need a good tape measure, square and you'll be set. Don't forget a decent mallet. I like the Blue Spruce ones, but others like the cheaper one that has a green head on it. I don't know the brand of that one.

I would recommend not getting a #4 as your first plane. Yes, it is a nice one to have. I feel a Jack plane will better suit your needs. I like the low angle version, but I also have an old Stanley #5. And they both get plenty of use.

Way to be different, Mel.

Kidding.

I can see with his set of current tools how a #5 would be more useful. My primary use of my smoother, is...well...smoothing. No need to joint or straighten anything. I change my vote to a #5.

• Like 1

Honestly you have enough stuff to get started.  you just need some clamps.  Find or design projects you can build with the tools and skills you have and take it from there.  Here is a bench top I made with nothing but a mitre saw, glue, wood, clamps and a sander (the picture is before final sanding or finishing).  this was one of the first few projects I did and I ended up building 4 or 5 of them because people wanted them for  hallways or to put at the foot of their beds.   For legs I just used some metal ones from hairpinlegs.com.   I used S4S lumber because I did not have a table saw or anyway to dimension lumber at the time.    Since this is a hobby and not an occupation just buy tools as you need them.  And you will know when you need something.  Lots of people seem to like to build out their shop first before doing "real" projects.  3 years later my shop still sucks, I like building stuff I can use. 

post-14089-0-14201500-1383067601_thumb.j

I would recommend not getting a #4 as your first plane. Yes, it is a nice one to have. I feel a Jack plane will better suit your needs. I like the low angle version, but I also have an old Stanley #5. And they both get plenty of use.

I agree with Mel. A no.4 was my first real plane, and I expected it to do a whole lot more than just smooth. I would have been far better off with a no. 5.

IMO, a no 5 and no 4 work as a team. Separately, a 5 is far more versatile.

• Like 1

On chisels - Narex seem to get a lot of good reviews.  I use Lie Nielsen and they are great.  I'm of the opinion that a few really good tools is better than a lot of substandard tools.  The new Veritas bevel edge bench chisels are supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread.  That brings me to another first purchase - sharpening system.  Doesn't matter what you get though I'd recommend staying with it.

So my recommendation is - sharpening stuff, 1/2" Veritas chisel followed by 1/4" and 3/4" later on, a rip panel saw, a backsaw (great first one would be a Bad Axe hybrid 12" but expensive or one of the Veritas plastic stuff backed ones), and a block plane.   A hand plane is a good first choice and they're really fairly versatile (as you can see by the variety of recommendations).  I'd say take scale into consideration - #4 for those little boxes or higher for that roubo.  You'll get more of all above as you stay with it but I've seen folks do almost everything with a #4, #4 1/2, #5, #5 1/2, #6, or #7.  Personally I'd saw #5 for general all around stuff with some extra blades.  One of the low angle jacks will hold you in good stead for a long time - I'm just getting mine but I've noticed myself using even my Low Angle/Bevel Down Veritas for more than just leveling when it's in my hand.  Long story wound up - just about anything will work.

Another thing to consider with planes is if you're going to buy milled or use power tools to mill - if so then you really will be set with fewer planes.

Shannon Rogers (Renaissance Woodworker) has a great video on hand planes - 

(think this is the one I was thinking of).  He also has one on bevel up versus bevel down planes that is good.

I know I'm probably forgetting some things but other more experience, smarter folks will chime in (and already have).

Lots of resources to learn - Shannon's blog and channel, Logan's cabinet shop blog and videos (both of these are members), Derek Cohen's blog, The Anarchist Tool Chest (book by Christopher Schwarz), DVD's by David Charlesworth (a little dry but super info), etc, etc.  Tom Fidgen has a couple of really good books on hand tool woodworking.  Jim Tolpin's New Traditional Woodworker is good.

I too agree with Mel on the LN no. 62, I have one and love it. I am going to go a different route on the chisels. I would recommend getting one 1/2" premium chisel vice a set of cheaper chisels. You can do a lot with one chisel. I think Graham is right when he says to pick up a couple cheap hand saws. I would look at your local thrift shops or swap meets (if you have them) for the saws vice Ebay. If you decide that hand tool work is not the direction you want to go, the LN no. 62 and premium chisel would still see a good amount of use in power tool centric shop. 

The Ruobo is an ambitious first build and I would think you would be better suited building some smaller projects. Winding sticks, saw benches, straight edge, and try square are some that come to mind. Look forward to seeing what you end up with and your progress. 

Thanks all for the responses, definitely have a good list to shop for now! For the planes, can these be vintage purchased used, or would I be better off with a new store bought one (I ask because of the large price differences I am seeing).

Any recommendation on good quality clamps?

I think I should clarify: I would like to do some small projects before the workbench. Boxes and shelves, small things to practice joinery. The Roubo will be my first bigger project, as I currently have no workbench and I think it will be needed. I will follow plans for the Roubo.

Vintage is more than fine BUT you will need to learn how to set it up/tune it, and that will take a little time and effort.  Its not particularly hard and there is little or nothing that a high end plane can do that one cannot do with a vintage plane (says the guy who owns 7 or so Veritas planes)

Knowing how to setup a plane is a worthwhile skill, and now that I've been woodworking with handtools for a few years I don't find it particularly difficult or time consuming.  BUT it is a skill you will need to spend some time and effort learning so whether or not you go used or vintage depends on what is more valuable to you...your time or your money. 

I use almost entirely vintage planes for my standard bench planes (that is smoothers, jacks, fores, jointers)...anything that is involved in flattening and preparing a surface.   Meanwhile every single one of my specialty/joinery planes is a newly bought Veritas. 

If you just want something that will work without much of a learning curve and with ZERO setup other than honing the blade than an LN/LV bevel up plane is the way to go. I prefer standard bevel down planes over bevel up planes, but the LV/LN bevel up planes are probably the easiest planes to learn to use so again, if you want the quickest easiest route to success that is probably the way to go.  If your the kind of person who is willing and able to apply book and video knowledge troubleshoot and setup a vintage plane that might be a great way to go. Again, I both vintage and new planes including a bevel-up/low angle jack.  The bevel up jack is very nice and very easy to use (and totally worth the price of admission), but there's not much it will do that you can't learn to do with a standard vintage bailey jack.

Also, make sure you get some sharpening stuff and learn how to use it. A $300-$500 LN or LV plane isn't worth a darn in the woodshop if you can't get the blade sharp (they do not come honed) and maintain it.

Vintage is fine but as Chris said there's an additional learned skill in fettling it.  I'm not terrible experience so I'm just a little farther down this stream than you are.  That said, I'd get a new plane at first to see how a good one feels and interacts with the wood.  From there you can decide to get vintage or new. Both Veritas and Lie Nielsen are superb makers.  When I started getting new tools, I was sure I'd love the LN planes and wasn't sure about the Veritas.  It's turned out in use to be just the opposite just for personal peccadilloes.

Another option is to get a vintage plane from someone who's already fettled it.  I got a number five (Union brand) from Don Williol (I think that's how you spell is last name) that was good to go (except for the USPS breaking the tote and bending things).  I'm sure there's more out there.  Don hangs out on Lumberjacks a lot (or did).  He has a website but I can remember.  That's a good way to get a very nice vintage without the work and generally for a lot less than a new one.

I don't consider myself too savvy when it comes to hand planes, but I hand my eBay plane making perfect (to my eye) shavings within one evening. The plane was delivered unassembled, so this forced me to inspect and learn from it as I put it together. Totally worth the effort. The blade was skewed about 3/16" from a square edge, so that took forever to grind down on just an oil stone. Granted, that was A LOT of material to remove. Since it has been ground square, it takes about 5-10 minutes to sharpen the blade.

I liked this route for me because I didn't want to spend $150+ on a nice new plane and find out it is something I just don't like.

Thanks again everyone. I believe I will head to Ebay, or maybe some antique stores around the area - I live just south of Charlotte, NC, for some vintage planes (I am thinking both a #4 and a #5) and a few saws. I believe I will try to find rip and crosscut panel saws and a dovetail backsaw. Then get some saw files and try my hand at sharpening.

As for a tool sharpening system, does anyone have a recommendation on a good setup?

Thanks,

As for a tool sharpening system, does anyone have a recommendation on a good setup?

Can of worms opened! Point one, all systems work well and have their pros and cons.

I do like an oil stone and to start you will be surprised what you can do with an India combination stone

If you have more to spend look at this which is incredible value for money.

Since you are only 2 hrs away from Pittsboro, I would recommend taking a day trip there and checking out Roy's school, and the vintage tool shop above it:

http://www.woodwrightschool.com/the-tool-store/

You are likely to walk away not only with the right tool, and likely a better tool for your money, but also way more information.  Basically if you have an idea of what you want to do...they will be the best people to help you get the tool that will accomplish that goal.

• Like 1

Can of worms opened! Point one, all systems work well and have their pros and cons.

I do like an oil stone and to start you will be surprised what you can do with an India combination stone

If you have more to spend look at this which is incredible value for money.

I'm starting to think you work for India. What have you not been telling us?!

Thanks again everyone. I believe I will head to Ebay, or maybe some antique stores around the area - I live just south of Charlotte, NC, for some vintage planes (I am thinking both a #4 and a #5) and a few saws. I believe I will try to find rip and crosscut panel saws and a dovetail backsaw. Then get some saw files and try my hand at sharpening.

Thanks,

I actually have a Stanley No. 5 and a Disston No. 16 crosscut saw that I am looking to sell, if your interested. I was planing on donating half the proceeds toward Woodworkers Fighting Cancer. Let me know if your interested.