Mahogany Library Rolling Staircase

wdwerker

Finally got it all sanded and started final assembly. I was worried that the posts and railings needed to be as rigid as possible so every possible intersection got glued and a few discrete screws.

post-6363-0-01831200-1395495026_thumb.jp

Plenty of glue for the intersection of the bottom post and the staircase.

post-6363-0-49475800-1395495058_thumb.jp

And there it is finally assembled !

post-6363-0-29309000-1395495301_thumb.jp

• Like 1

That looks fantastic, Steve.  I love the detail where the tops of the "legs" transition from square posts into the roundover of the rails.  That's awesome.  A piece that's suitable for the most noble of libraries.  Can't wait to see this thing with finish!  Well done...

Big loading dock door at the shop and double French doors into the library from the outside. I thought of that when drawing it up. I can take the caster mount base pieces off and get the ladder under 95" tall but I don't think it will be needed.

Kinda considering going in today to pull the clamps and start doing sample finishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Client was out of town, finally dropped by the shop today and approved the finish sample and climbed to try out the stairs. She was quite impressed and wants her architect and decorator to see my work !

The finish is going to be a light coat of a medium brown stain with a satin clear finish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got back to the staircase today. Had to flip it 3 different ways to get every nook and cranny stained. Only found 3 or 4 little spots where the glue had prevented the stain from soaking in. Sanded them out and carefully blended in the color and I am ready to start shooting finish tomorrow.

post-6363-0-51978700-1398372000_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Dang Steve, you need sunglasses to work in your shop.  Looks like a night game at the old Busch Stadium. :D

I love the way your shop looks...it's dripping with use.  Every past project leaves a remnant of itself behind and creates another layer of character.  Reminds me of my great grandfather's bench.  Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Staircase is looking good...can't wait to see 'er all done.