Craig's list obsession

Gary Gilbert

Am I the only one who has the phone app and checking it at all times looking for great deals on things. I lucked out and picked up a Radial arm saw and a large sander for under a $100.. 

Granted alot of the things are either  over priced or  just torn up.. but the last two things I got were from  men in their 80's  and well taken care of.. So far a router with stand a radial arm saw and a big old belt sander ..

I've gotten a couple of things on CL but most of mine has come from auctions.

Around here anyway woodworking tools go for very little.

I didn't have room to haul it, but a nice workbench recently went for $20.

Looked a lot like this but had a different door arrangement.

http://www.woodwerks.com/sjobergs-duo-workbench-trestle-sjo33457-sm03-cabinet.html

I don't need more funds or time.  I need more space.  :o

check out the website IFTTT.com ... It enables you to create "recipes" for craigslist that alert you when something your are looking for gets posted. For example, anything posted in your cities "tools" section that has the keyword "Delta", or "Festool", whatever it is your after, and it alerts you by e-mail the second something is posted.

Everyone that I've bought tools from on CL, has been very cool to me as well.  Typically, I show up to buy the thing, we get to talking, he/she sees my enthusiasm for the craft and I go home with a bunch of free stuff (books, extra blades...once I got a free Dovetail Jig).

Likewise I've been the same way when I sold stuff.  I throw in the free stuff that I know the buyer will use and I don't have the energy to sell standalone.  Tell you what, $5 and you can have the ductwork too for this exhaust fan...  You seem nice, take my leftover hydroponic nutrients.... whatever.  I've also received detailed lessons, and given detailed lessons on items I've bought and sold.

Of course there's the random person on CL that will murder you, but that's a 25% chance at the most.

• 2 weeks later...

I am always scouting craigslist for good deals. I just picked up a Jet 3HP cabinet saw with 52" Xacta II microadjust fence, Xacta router lift with bosch 1618 router. Table had surface rust, I bathed it in evaporust, wiped it down and hit it with some wd40 and maroon scour pad. I changed the belts to cogged goodyear belts to make it run smoother. Waxed the top, and now I'm building a new extension table. for it. $500 bucks, which I consider a killer.

A few months ago I found a Grizzly 8" G0593 Jointer with shelix head with 3 new sides on the carbide cutters in really good shape. $500 bucks. 

Craigslist is a great place to get good deals if you know what you're looking for. The funny thing is I do so much research on tools that when I look at them I know more about them the the person who's been using it for a few years. 

My problem with CL is that I've always been a "buy the tool you need now" kind of guy, instead of a "buy this tool because it's cheap and available" kind of guy.  I always check CL before I make a purchase on a new tool, but I've never found what I've wanted at the time I was looking.  The day after, sure, but not the day before.

That, and you have to deal with the people on CL.  Which is worse that going to the DMV if you ask me.  Weirdos, all of them.

I check CL on a daily basis, but I tend to buy only what I need.  I have bought several items with a lot of success, and have always paid the price I wanted to pay.  There has only been one occasion that I went to a sellers place and found the item to be misrepresented.  In that case I just walked away.  I have also sold several items on craigslist, and have been successful at that, as well as getting the price I wanted for the items sold.

I have a very narrow set of parameters I go by when utilizing Craigslist  both for selling and buying.  The number one rule is to stick to those parameters to minimize problems.