Is the Woodworking podcast idea dieing?

dinkjs

So what do people want from a podcast? Be it video or audio, but specifically audio. What content would you like to see more of? More 'talk' like WTO? Or more 'HowTo' like MBW? Or something else?

Content, content, CONTENT! I have mostly watched hand tool stuff and am often disappointed presenters don't understand the tools or traditional techniques. This covers the whole range of presenters. For example here's an episode from Roy Underhill on using a sash sticking board:

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2900/2913.html

or you can see how simple and direct the traditional technique is in this Sawmill Creek post by Don McConnell:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1558760#post1558760

In the interest of disclosure, Don and I are in business together.

I do have a question for podcasters and bloggers. What motivates your efforts? Are you in this as a way to help other woodworkers, a business venture, or for entertainment? I don't mean to be judgmental, any of those are fine with me. I'm just trying to understand goals and motivations and this whole genre of woodworking communication.

I do have a question for podcasters and bloggers. What motivates your efforts? Are you in this as a way to help other woodworkers, a business venture, or for entertainment? I don't mean to be judgmental, any of those are fine with me. I'm just trying to understand goals and motivations and this whole genre of woodworking communication.

I got started with my blog because I wanted to share some of what I'd learned from reading & replying to posts on WoodNet for 3 or 4 years. Oddly enough, posting a "Look at what I built!" thread loaded with tons of pictures everytime I finished a project seemed to be an unfair use of WoodNet's resources. I also didn't appreciate how much work keeping a blog going is at the time, or I probably would have had second thoughts about it.

Tony

For me, its a combination of things that have changed over the years. When I first started, it was really just a means of sharing my woodworking experiences with others, given the fact that there was next to no woodworking programming available on TV anymore. I also wanted to break the woodworker stereotype to some degree. Doing the podcast and engaging the community was almost a hobby in and of itself. So for many folks, I'd imagine podcasting and blogging are really just ways of enriching the woodworking experience. And I know many of my fellow podcasters can attest to this: you actually learn A LOT when you start teaching other people. You make a short video showing a technique, and you'll quickly find out about 20 other ways to do the same thing that may actually be better than your method, lol.

Obviously, things have changed for me over the years and now there is definitely a monetary component to what I do. But its not the money that has me editing videos at 11pm and answering emails after midnight. Its a love for the craft and a love for communicating with other woodworkers. The money just allows me to do it full-time. But I can totally see why someone would want to do all this, even if money weren't a factor.

For me personally, I do it because I enjoy teaching and helping out other woodworkers wanting to learn about and use hand tools. I don't make any money from my podcast, and probably never will. But I like being able to teach and share what I learn. That's why I'm always so open to suggestions on what people want to see and learn. While I don't have anywhere near the amount of knowledge of the traditional aspect of the craft as you or Don (or any host of other more knowledgable folks) do, I am always trying to learn. As I learn new things, especially the "Ah ha!" type things, I like to share them so other people can have the same experiences.

To share an example, when I first started experimenting with in-cannel gouges, the common wisdom was (and really still seems to be) that these were patternmaker's tools and had little use in joinery and cabinet making. However, the more I use them, the more wrong I realize this "common knowledge" actually is. In fact, they are so useful for joinery and cabinet making that I find myself reaching for them on an almost daily basis when I'm in the shop. This is something that I had to experiment with to figure out, but it's something I have shared in past podcasts because I want other people to experience it for themselves.

Ditto on using a fore plane to take big honkin chips to remove stock rapidly. It's one of those things that is rarely discussed in this age of dial indicators and micrometers, but so much more useful than whispy shavings. It's an important aspect of working by hand that was lost for some time and is just recently beginning to experience a revival. It's something I try to share in my podcasts every time I pick up a plane.

(snipped)

For me personally I do it for the chicks! :)

Just kidding. I started a year ago (Nov is my 1-year podcast anniversary) and honestly I didn't know how many I would make. It is definitely a lot more work than I originally imagined (and it hasn't gotten that much easier). - I need a production assistant! :)

It is a lot of fun and as Marc wrote, I also enjoy showing others some cool neat trick I may have picked up. There really isn't much of a monetary component for my podcast (yet.?), but I would keep making them anyway.

For those that have never heard of my video Podcast you can check me out here. I also have a Shoptalk (blog style) page.

Cheers -Brian

I can't believe it'll be a full 5 years ago in Jan, but when I started MBW it was all about me. There were NO podcasts about woodworking and everyone said it wasn't possible to have a show...it just wouldn't translate well to new media was what I heard all the time (F you Adam Curry!!!)

As I said, my main goal was selfishness because I hoped if I started it, 2 things would happen.

1) Someone would come along and realize it could be done and decide my show was so bad they'd produce their own and then I could stop mine and enjoy theirs.

2) I've always found the best way for me to learn is to try and teach others. So I figured i had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Meanwhile fast forward to today, I have a couple of "sponsors" who send me tools every now and then. But for the record, after paying for postage for the schwag giveaways and monthly hosting fees, etc. I'm breaking even lol! Apparently I'm a bad business man, hopefully that explains the day job.

My motivation today lies more in continuing to have a great time sharing my experiences and making friends with people who enjoy woodworking. Not a week goes by that I don't learn something new. With that kind of motivation, you guys are stuck with me whether you check out my show or not lol!!!

Of course, I would like to do this full time and really produce content like I'd like to see it...but I haven't convinced a sponsor yet they need to take a chance on me. So I'll just keep plugging away in the basement for now.

Two reason

By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. --- Confucius

I do a lot of number 3, and hopefully my blog lets others do a lot of number 2.

The other reason, was I loved show and tell in kindergarten. LOL J/K :D

I do have a question for podcasters and bloggers. What motivates your efforts? Are you in this as a way to help other woodworkers, a business venture, or for entertainment?

Hi Larry,

For me, it's to share what I've been trying to figure out on my own, and for entertainment. I think I'm coming from the same place that Bob is coming from, except that I'm covering Japanese tools instead of western tools, and Bob knows what he's talking about, as opposed to me. ;)

I have no plans to try to monetize my site, and I think in the long run I'll be better off without that. I have toyed around with the idea of using a PayPal account as a tip jar, kind of like the public broadcasting method of raising funds, but the only thing I would want is to get enough money to buy the .com version of my domain name, which is currently owned by someone who is squatting on the name.

Thanks. I know blogs and podcasts are a huge amount of work. I was sure no one was making big money doing this. I have a number of blogs bookmarked and try to follow those and have watched or read stuff by almost everyone who replied. I also remember Mark's early videos on WWA. I've learned a few things from Wilbur and I think Bob, especially, is doing a pretty good job.

I wish I had the time and technical skill so many others have. We've got a few short videos we want to get up and actually have the equipment. We just need the time to do it right and I've got a lot of editing skills to learn. I'll get on that as soon as I find a good voice coach :unsure: .

• Like 1

I've learned a few things from Wilbur and I think Bob, especially, is doing a pretty good job.

I wish I had the time and technical skill so many others have. We've got a few short videos we want to get up and actually have the equipment. We just need the time to do it right and I've got a lot of editing skills to learn. I'll get on that as soon as I find a good voice coach :unsure: .

Thank you Larry! I appreciate the kind words!

If you need any help with the editing, voice overs or anything like that, feel free to ping me. I'm glad to offer whatever assistance I can, however little it may be.

Thank you Larry! I appreciate the kind words!

If you need any help with the editing, voice overs or anything like that, feel free to ping me. I'm glad to offer whatever assistance I can, however little it may be.

Bob I need about a weekend of hands on handplane training with you....anyway you could come to Texas for a weekend on your own dime to help me tweak my handplaning? Wife would frown on me buying some guy a ticket

Bob I need about a weekend of hands on handplane training with you....anyway you could come to Texas for a weekend on your own dime to help me tweak my handplaning? Wife would frown on me buying some guy a ticket

I don't know about coming to Texas, but if you're ever in my neck of the woods I'd be glad to help.