Is the Woodworking podcast idea dieing?

dinkjs

So,

On iTunes right now I have right around 28 podcasts pertaining to woodworking I subsribe too.....out of those 28...give or take 1 or 2....13 are active.....2 are done by one person (Matt from Matt's Basement Workshop)....1 is shared by 3 people that have active podcasts (Matt, Marc, Shannon)

Out of those 28....6 are regularly updated atleast once a week or close too it....again 2 are done by Matt and 1 is shared by 3 woodworkers (Matt, Marc, Shannon)

The rest are done rest are updated sporatically

Out of the 6 that are active...2 offer a paid option

So here is my thinking.....either the podcast idea is dieing or the paid podcast will catch on and that is how people will get there podcast info in the future.......

Now I also know there are a couple active podcasts that are done that are not uploaded to iTunes and those are not taken into consideration in this post.....

Opionions????

As someone who had a pro audio podcast at one point... podcasts are hard to do. Even harder and more time consuming to do well.

People burn out on it quickly. It either turns into a major part of your life and even livelihood or it just becomes too much work with little return.

About once a year my old partner and I talk about starting up our podcast again and nothing ever happens.

When we were doing it we were single bohemians staying up all night having a blast.

Now we have wives and he has a kid... I have the house. It is just too much.

I never blame someone for letting their podcast/blog/website go by the wayside.

It is a LOT of work.

Its interesting to observe the growth curve of things like podcasts, especially in the woodworking world. I wouldn't say podcasting is dead though, more like its morphed into something else. In the early days, podcasting was its own category. Now its really just another medium for content distribution. More and more devices can grab this content and many set top boxes these days can pull in podcasts and RSS feeds. For guys like me, this convergence is a golden opportunity. But for a new podcaster, the barrier to entry is a little bigger than it used to be. You can start a killer podcast today, but if there's so much white noise in the market, people might miss it. And much of that white noise comes from the bigger media companies. Makes it harder to find Joe Schmoe's podcast when NPR is dominating the listings.

But have you noticed how many more woodworking bloggers there are now? That number has gone up exponentially! But keeping up a blog and doing a regular podcast are VERY different things. And for someone who has a day job and a family, its a hard pace to keep up. Right Matt, Shannon, and Bois? And keeping it up for years on end is even harder. Yet ironically, some of the most prolific podcasters are also the earliest ones. Perhaps its the fact the we had our foot in the door first? I don't really know, but I find that's true in a lot of podcasting arenas.

And the paid option is an interesting thing too. I doubt we'll see an influx of paid woodworking podcasts though. The Guild and Shannon's Hand Tool School were only possible after we put years of effort into generating viewers via FREE content. If either I or Shannon came out of the blue and said, "You don't know me, but give me some money and I'll teach you woodworking!", I doubt we'd get very far. Its only after we have the trust of our viewers and a track record for providing a certain quality level that we can actually pull off the paid option. So perhaps the paid content is just the natural progression of a successful free podcast?? I suppose I can see that happening. But what we offer is way more than simply a paid podcast. People are actually paying for a service, and the videos are just a small part of it. I doubt someone charging for a simple podcast would get very far these days.

And for those who are putting out content and NOT putting it into iTunes.....whatsa matta you?!?! You are missing out on a huge segment of your potential audience. Even to this day, nearly 75% of my small video feed subscribers come from iTunes. That's a heck of a chunk!

And for those who are putting out content and NOT putting it into iTunes.....whatsa matta you?!?! You are missing out on a huge segment of your potential audience. Even to this day, nearly 75% of my small video feed subscribers come from iTunes. That's a heck of a chunk!

For me, it's because Mr. Jobs makes my life difficult every day with his "no Flash" decree. It's my form of protest. :lol::lol:

I think that podcasting in the woodworking space is very different from the tech podcasts or product/movie/game review podcasts that produce like machines every single week. This is probably for the same reason that WTO and Spoken Wood is somewhat regular. These shows aren't actually making anything. God bless Matt for his incredible run but if you look closely you will see that he is a master of filling in between episodes of his project builds with product reviews and shows specifically answering questions. The point being that it takes a lot of work to film and produce a podcast, run a blog, and maintain a website (and go to a full time job and not ignore your wife), but then you also have to get shop time in there to actually build a project. I remember David Marks talking about how Woodworks would have never been possible without an Army of woodworkers backing him up just to get his pieces done on time. I greatly admire Matt's ability to consistently put out shows, that man is a machine!

I was very proud that I had not missed a single week and in many cases posted several shows a week for almost two years. Suddenly one day I realized that I had covered all the miscellaneous topics and I had to either start doing more project builds or like a magazine start recycling and rehashing the same topics. I chose to go the project build route which means I end up with very sporadic posting these days. In some instances I just put out a blog to fill in some gaps that I couldn't film. For some reason I decided to add a premium show with a definite delivery deadline to it which complicates things.

The funny thing is Marc and I were just texting back and forth as he told me about this post and I realized that I really enjoy doing the free show and I feel guilty when I can't get an episode out each week. So to address the point, I do think that premium sites will become a little more common, but I don't think woodworking podcasting is going to become regularly scheduled like TV because of that woodworking time element. We all know how long it takes to build a piece of furniture when you only get a few hours of shop time each week. I found out a while ago that I need to be several episodes ahead in a project before I even begin publishing part 1 because trying to build everything for another episode in a week is rough. The key is that I think everyone who does it will agree that it is really fun and worth every second of effort put into it so we will all keep putting out content until someone tells us to go away.

I'm really excited to see where this heads, and I agree, I want more woodworking shows on my iphone. Imagine how I feel when I go into my library and find that 2 out of the 3 shows I have on there I'm in. I don't want to watch that! I just spent 7 hours editing it!

Great thoughts John, let's get more podcasters to fill in the blanks between episodes for the rest of us. We need to all get together and stagger our publishing schedules.

I was very proud that I had not missed a single week and in many cases posted several shows a week for almost two years. Suddenly one day I realized that I had covered all the miscellaneous topics and I had to either start doing more project builds or like a magazine start recycling and rehashing the same topics.

I have a suggestion :)

You can fill the gaps with the little tiny things you take for granted. I know I know, it's hard to determine what you take for granted, so I have an example.

http://blog.woodwork...him+Tricks.aspx

Chris is really good at this; 82 words and 68 seconds of video that will probably help countless people. To poke fun, Chris is kind of like a drug dealer, he gives you just enough to get you hooked.

I think that the problem of having 28 woodworking podcasts and many of them being relatively inactive with a few updating regularly is much more preferable to the problem of having no woodworking podcasts at all.

I started a blog earlier this year. It's sometimes a bit hard to keep up a steady writing schedule, even though many of my blog entries are one-liner jokes. I can't even imagine adding recording and editing audio and/or video to this task.

Besides the issues with starting a podcast and then realizing how much work it really is, one other factor leading to podcasts going by the wayside probably is the realization that many woodworking topics have already been covered by other podcasts. One's motivation for adding another podcast to the pile of information on, say, making a dovetail joint can diminish very quickly.

I think that the problem of having 28 woodworking podcasts and many of them being relatively inactive with a few updating regularly is much more preferable to the problem of having no woodworking podcasts at all.

I started a blog earlier this year. It's sometimes a bit hard to keep up a steady writing schedule, even though many of my blog entries are one-liner jokes. I can't even imagine adding recording and editing audio and/or video to this task.

Besides the issues with starting a podcast and then realizing how much work it really is, one other factor leading to podcasts going by the wayside probably is the realization that many woodworking topics have already been covered by other podcasts. One's motivation for adding another podcast to the pile of information on, say, making a dovetail joint can diminish very quickly.

Wilbur,

I just added your blog to my favorite list this morning....I am finally glad to see a active blog about Japanese woodworking......hahhaa speaking of inactive activity....I look forward to seeing you update your site.....now if only someone would start a video blog regarding 100% Japanese woodworking....IE: Kanna's, Saws, Chisels, Japanese joinery......I would be in heaven

It's kinda of funny. I'd started blogging a couple years ago and was getting quite a bit of activity. The problem was I really didn't have any quality content yet. Now, I have content, but getting back into blogging about it is a very intimidating task. If you are going to have a blog, you DO have to have a fairly regular posting schedule or people will quickly give up and go to the next in line. While I'm not excluding the idea of starting up again sometime in the future, I'm really too busy building now to write AND build. Plus, if you're going to blog or podcast, you have to be doing something somewhat unique. At least you do to keep MY attention.

I don't think ww podcasts will die out. I just think it takes a HUGE effort to put them out there. So someone may have tons of ambition for several months and then the passion fades a bit. And the time factor as everyone has mentioned is a large factor.

The guys and gals that are "all in" making pod casts, are doing a great job. I think making podcasts with a cost attached is actually a good thing. It separates the below average from the great. Nobody is going to see podcasts that are below average. So paying for it adds credibility. Marc S. hit nail on the head. He would have a very challenging time breaking into the podcast scene today with high expectations. He started off making free podcasts. People liked-- loved-- his product. He continued to grow his podcasts. And now he offers both free podcasts and podcasts that he charges a fair price.

I really don't think ww podcasts are going the way of horse and buggy. I just think the number of regular podcasts are going down AND the quality is going up in the ones remaining.

I think Shannon about summed it up, at least as far as my podcast is concerned. I know when I first started it, I was trying really hard to put out a podcast every two weeks (which I thought would be a piece of cake as opposed to weekly). I was pretty good about it for about the first year. But it took a lot of time and dedication. And I wasn't actually building anything for the first 15 episodes or so. Doing tool tune ups or sharpening is a fairly quick and easy podcast to do. The whole thing can be filmed in an evening, and that's basically how long it typically took me to film my early shows. Then another evening of editing and I was ready to release an episode. But again, I wasn't actually getting any building done. I was making a 30 minute podcast about something I typically do in 5 to 10 minutes (i.e. sharpen a chisel, sharpen a hand saw, check a square for truth).

With a talk podcast, or even a video podcast, where there is nothing being produced, it's not too hard to put out weekly or bi-weekly content. That's because basically, you're sitting there talking about something, not actually doing anything. I think that's fine, and I think it's one of the cool things about WTO. It's a different spin on things, you can listen to it anywhere, and bacause it doesn't require a hugh commitment of shop time, you can produce content a lot more often. But video where you are actually producing a product is a lot different. There's a reason that shows like The Woodwright's Shop, Rough Cut, Woodworks, New Yankee Workshop, etc., only put out 13 episodes per year. Sure, they air them weekly but new content is only for the first 13 weeks. After that it's re-runs while they spend the other 39 weeks of the year, working on it full time, to develop a measly 13 episodes for the following year.

To put things in perspective, think about how long it typically takes you to build a project. A week; two weeks; two months? Now add to that time the process of filming everything, by yourself (I know I don't have a film and production crew handling my podcast's content). You can at least double the time it typically takes to build something when you are filming it since in addition to the woodworking you are also the producer (setting up the "story" and the scene), the camera man (getting camera angles right and constantly moving and adjusting lighting), director (let's try that take again, I didn't like the way it came out the first 15 times), prop person (damnit, get the kids' toys out of the shot), and sound technician (ok, that entire clip came through without sound, replace the batteries in the mic and shoot it again). So something that usually takes you a week to build now took you three weeks.

Then you have to edit the hours of video you shot over the last several weeks into a 30 minute episode, making sure the transitions look good, that you didn't mis-speak, that you didn't leave out anything important, adding the flair (e.g. those catchy little fun facts that Marc includes in all his episodes between scenes, music, sound effects, etc.). Then you have to watch it completely through a couple of times to make sure you got everything just right before you "produce" the final cut. Then you have to upload everything and update your website to include the new content in the blog page and archives. All this while still working a full time day job and remembering that we have a family life to attend to as well. Oh, and most of us aren't getting paid to do it. It's just a hobby that we actually enjoy :).

I think Dan's suggestion is certainly a good one, and one I try to do when I can (i.e. I do sometimes put out a Quick Tip segment on my podcast), but even that takes time. The Schwarz does this stuff as his day job, and has other people to help him, so he's not flying solo, even though I know he puts in a lot of hours on his own time as well.

I don't think woodworking podcasts are becoming antiquated. In fact I see the genre expanding as it becomes easier and easier to upload video content. However, what that means is that there is more and more pressure for better quality content. In an area where topics have been covered 10 times over, that's hard to do. I frequently ask my podcast's viewers what they want to see on the show. It's much easier for me to design content when I know what viewers want. But at the same time, you can't always accomodate right away either.

On a personal note, I love doing my podcast, even if no-one watches it. For me, it's fun to do, and that's why I do it. I am trying to find a way to add content more frequently, but it's always a challenge to come up with topics that either haven't already been covered, don't take weeks to film, or don't require a significant cash investment to do.

What I'd like to see, and I'm sure my fellow podcasters would agree, is more input on what you all are interested in seeing. Give us ideas if there's something you are interested in. One of the main challenges of podcasting is coming up with topics you think will interest your viewers that you can also film, edit and post in a reasonable amount of time. At least for me, hearing directly from viewers what they want to see makes it easier for me to add content more frequently, and get's me more excited about doing the show (people really do like me :P).

So if you want to see more frequent updates, my suggestion to you the viewers of our podcasts, is to get involved! Don't just sit around and wait for us to immaculately conceive new content. Make suggestions. In my opinion that's one of the best things about a podcast as opposed to a TV show. You can have input into the podcast since they are relatively current, as opposed to TV which was filmed a year or more ago, even though you are watching a new episode now. With a podcast, you can make a suggestion today, and potentially see an episode on it in a week or two. But if you don't make suggestions, we can't improve ;).

And I feel bad for not mentioned Bob in my post above. Bob is another quality producer chugging along and doing his thing, all with hand tools by the way! Thanks for your input Bob! And don't forget Steve from Woodworking for Mere Mortals.... OH shoot, we can't forget Stu from Stu's shed. he's another long-timer.

I admire Marc, Matt, Shannon and even Bois (the guys I regularly follow)for doing what they do. The content they put out is clearly well thought out, very well produced and I always learn something new. It clearly is a lot of work to do this on a regular basis and make it seamless, think about what goes into filming a far shot and then quickly show a close up of the same action and make it appear that the speaker has not stopped or moved ! We watch and don't even think about it but it must take a lot of effort and work.

I must counter the implied suggestion that a "paid " podcast is somewhat of a cop out or something negative. Hey it takes just as much work and effort to make a paid podcast but now it is harder because people are expecting something for their money !

So keep up the great work guys.

I started The Novice Garage Woodworker a few years ago, first as a video, then as an audio. I also worked with Rick Waters on the Sawdust Chronicles. I loved doing all of that, but the time to produce a quality podcast was intense and changes in my personal and professional lives just simply left me with no time to continue. I'm definitely guilty of podfade.

That said, I think we're down to a core of podcasters, and their podcasts should continue. iTunes is the new PBS for woodworking shows.

That said, I think we're down to a core of podcasters, and their podcasts should continue. iTunes is the new PBS for woodworking shows.

LOL, when should we start the pledge drive? Matt will be singing "Ladies of Spain" while I juggle and Marc rides a unicycle. C'mon people lets make those phones ring!

As usual I'm late to the discussion, but what a discussion it is LOL!!! This is something I've thought about for awhile as I cruise iTunes to see who's new and what I've been missing.

I don't think the woodworking podcast idea is dying so much as it's "re-evolving" once again. My own show celebrates its 5th anniversary in January and it's changed several times over the years. First from audio only (still a big audience that follows that feed) then it went to video. From once a week to 5 times a week then back to 2 or 3 and now back to 1 or 2.

I have a few theories why there was a huge flood of woodworking podcasts and it has everything to do with new technology. When the latest mobile devices were released over the past couple of years there was a lot of excitement by new and old users. The excitement of easier access to producing a show and having your voice heard probably helped to push a number of people who were sitting on the fence to jump down and play. But just like starting a new exercise routine and diet at New Years, you're all excited at first and then reality kicks in and you discover it's not quite as easy as it seemed at first.

Don't get me wrong, I still struggle from time to time and I think it shows in my episodes. But the one thing I've learned, and I can't emphasize this enough. A podcast can be extremely informative, AND fun, without putting a ton of effort into it. I say keep it simple until you have the time and resources to do otherwise. There's too much effort wasted trying to over-produce a show. Obviously you want to edit out some things, but spending hours and hours trying to tweak and re-shoot or re-edit over and over will kill your desire to make content.

The beauty of a podcast to me wasn't that I had to be something or someone I'm not, but to instead let the real me out and let the audience decide if they wanted to participate. Unlike broadcast television that HAS TO appeal to the masses, podcast let weirdos like myself be myself and hopefully the audience enjoys the content.

I have a few more ideas for new shows that are bursting at the seams, but I think I've already taken up enough bandwidth for two or three shows LOL!

Too bad my lunchhour is up and I can't ramble some more...

I will say this....for the active, the not so active...and the ones that are completely covered in cobwebs....a external hard drive is a wonderful thing to put all the podcasts on that are on iTunes....when your subsribing to multiple podcasts they fill up your computer fast....I put all of them on a external harddrive for future references