Lee Valley work light

davewyo

I am very favorably impressed with this Lee Valley work light:

http://IMG_0805_zps87b3aa65.jpg

After using it for a couple of weeks I can find no drawbacks.

It is light weight yet powerful and versatile.

It can be used in a dog hole with the optional attachment, or it can be stuck on a metal surface with either of the two powerful magnets.

I was surprised to see a Lee Valley product produced in China, but it is very well made regardless of its country of origin.

I wondered if the batteries would last long, especially in a cold work shop, but it seems to have adequate life expectancy with the 3 AA batteries that power it.

The brightness of the LED is plenty strong and it can be focused for close-up work.

I recommend it.

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks Dave I am looking for a light for my bandsaw as the Laguna light is a halogen and way to hot...so the LED aspect is great...plus it looks like the magnet is strong enough to hold on vertical surfaces...something that others I have tried fail to do well.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep wishing Lee Valley would consider making these products in 1" dog hole size too.

The metal plate and countersunk screw are sold separately.  All you'd need to do is add a 1" dowel or pipe stub, and you're good to go.  Same for square dog holes.   Any steel hardware-store mending plate would probably work fine, too...   I made a 4-5" wooden block, heavy enough not to fall over, so I can put the light anywhere I like, not just where there's a hole or a ferrous surface.

The plates are also great for adding a magnetic attachment point to plastic and wood areas anywhere in the shop.    For example, I have a flexible blow gun with on/off valve and regulator, with a magnet attached.  One of my main uses is to blow very small parts away from the blade when in a wooden sled.   As the part becomes free, the low pressure air gently tosses the part clear.  A plate inset in the sled makes it easy to attach the regulator without other stuff in the way.   You could do the same anywhere you want light on a non-metallic surface.  

• 1 month later...

I'm a flashaholic, and this is an excellent light. The color of the light is cool white, with no offensive blue or green tint.

The magnets are way strong, the gooseneck isn't limp.

In addition to what everyone else said, if you're so inclined, a lithium ion 26500 battery (like a C cell) drops right in, and gives a nice boost.

I guess I should post a little update since I've been working with the light for a few months.

The goose-neck of the lamp is slender and if one attaches the light to a power tool it will jiggle from the vibration of the machine.

I don't find it bothersome.

If the focus of the light beam is not adjusted to a pin point it is barely noticeable.

The original batteries are still going strong after three months of occasional use.

Dave

As said, try to source an LED diode in North America...it's next to impossible. You'll find plenty of companies saying they make "USA made LED lights" but what they really mean is that the fixtures they make are assembled in the USA from China sourced parts.

What's funny is the last time I was in Lee Valley picking up their T-tracks the counter guy said "this is veritas?". I guess they source their extrusion from a good place...