HVLP Recommendations

Tom Cancelleri

There are a ton of options out there. I'm leaning towards the Fuji Semi Pro 2 or Mini Mite 3, however there is the gravity fed sprayer and the standard sprayer. The gravity fed sprayer seems a easier to spray up and down since the cups rotate, but I would think it would be top heavy and somewhat awkward to spray. 

What's everyone's take on HVLP, suggestions on systems. What they like or don't like. 

You can only decided what you like by doing.

Take a can of soup and tape it to a piece of wood that you can hold in your hand like a gun. Hold the can upright like you would a gravity feed gun. Conversely hold the can down like a bottom feeder. Go through the motions.

Hope that helps?

That's a great idea , don't just try it for a few seconds. Do it as if you were spraying the biggest project you think you'll finsh. I have the mini mite 3 gravity gun and will tell you when the cup is full and I'm spraying long panel or doors it's heavy and

I get tired . I do like the gravity gun ,I think the type of gun is something only the user can decide on.

BTW I love my fuji. If you get it make sure to get the wipe hose and extra O rings and tubes for the cup.

Go with the biggest turbine you can afford. Keep in mind that the turbine could last a hobbyist a lifetime. I had the Earlex 5500 and just couldn't get it to atomize properly with a 1.5mm tip. I worked with their support and ended up returning the unit for a refund. I then bought a Fuji MM4 and instantly started laying down perfect coats.

I have the siphon gun and so far no regrets but haven't done a lot of projects. I got an attachment off eBay to use smaller cups I got from US plastics. Then I saw a thread here on the 3M PPS system which is great but a little pricey. This site is pretty good at helping you spend money!

• Like 1

I have the earlex spray station 5500, and I am quite pleased with it. It has a siphon cup, so when I upgrade to Fuji later, I will prob go with siphon cup.

My understanding is that more "stages" is a good thing. My next sprayer will be at least 3 stage.

+1 I also have the Earlex but use only for waterbourne finishes. I think the needle is 1.5mm

The Fuji Semi Pro 2 came with a 0.51, which worked out well as its what GF High Performance water borne recommended.

Only used it once, but was amazed when that 4th coat went on. Especially in a 4 hour time frame.

Hard to explain how it's different..looks finished, but without screaming that it's finished. I hate using the term 'store bought', but the one test board I tried looked like a shelf you'd unbox from a Target Shelf Kit...not in a bad way., but in a professional factory-finished sense.

...if that makes any sense.

I like the bottom loader. I'd be pure calamity with the gravity gun, as Gravity is never my friend when it comes to liquids... :)

• 1 month later...

I am fairly new to spraying stain / finishes and did not want to break the bank on my first unit so after some online review I purchased the Earlex 5500.  I have not used any other HVLP spray setups so I cannot really compare my Earlex to anything else.  What I can say is with the 1mm tip I have had terrific success with both stain and finish.  Plus it is extremely simple to set up and use.   It has to be if I can do it!!  

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread for a little help with HVLP accessories.  I am new to HVLP but am about to pull the trigger on a Fuji Mini Mite 3 with gravity gun.  I am going to be using this initially on a set of 15 museum  quality (hopefully) frames and for finishing two sets of carriage doors Im building.  Just wondering what accessories I should also be considering. Like the whip hose that comes highly recommended but the reviews says its a POS that breaks easily.  Maybe another size tip I should be thinking about right out of the gate?   I am completely new to HVLP, have never used one or seen one in use.  Thanks!

My advice. Learn to spray with what you buy. Make sure you have at least a 1.3 or 1.4 needle and nozzle. Play and practice, play and practice. All the fancy crap comes after you become a proficient sprayer.

Once you become a sprayer. You can spray with a 25.00 gun, just as good as a 550.00 gun (almost and you get my point :blink:). But the 550.00 gun in an experienced hand, you will notice the joy of fit and finish balance and quality and no leaks . :D

I would get a gravity feed spray gun holder that holds a filter.

-Ace-

• Like 2