1/2" chisel only 15/32" wide

Jerry_in_SD

I just read a article about this, they were suggesting you buy japanese or metric chisels so you could get them slightly under sized as to not over cut, so if this is the case the one must be a little under sized.

I was thinking if it became an issue you could just "rub them down" a bit your self rather than going to the time, trouble and expense of getting metric ones.

I just read a article about this, they were suggesting you buy japanese or metric chisels so you could get them slightly under sized as to not over cut, so if this is the case the one must be a little under sized.

I was thinking if it became an issue you could just "rub them down" a bit your self rather than going to the time, trouble and expense of getting metric ones.

Depends on what you are buying and where.  Amazon has metric Narex very inexpensively.

why would not a 1/2 inch chisel be 12.7 mm? 

'Made in England with global components' means that somewhere in Sheffield a handle was put on a 12mm metal piece likely fabricated in China, definitely using metric tooling, to meet a delivery contract with tolerances that allow for a discrepancy that size, and then marketed as a 1/2 inch.  When Narex wanted to meet Lee Valley's demand for true inch-sizes, it took quite a bit of work.

All my Narex are metric, but I don't really see that as a drawback. I just pick the best one that fits and carry on.

As for the topic at hand, I remember this coming up once before on another forum. I don't remember the brand, but the assumption there was that it wasn't worth the added tooling cost to make another chisel nearly identical.

'Made in England with global components' means that somewhere in Sheffield a handle was put on a 12mm metal piece likely fabricated in China, definitely using metric tooling, to meet a delivery contract with tolerances that allow for a discrepancy that size, and then marketed as a 1/2 inch.  When Narex wanted to meet Lee Valley's demand for true inch-sizes, it took quite a bit of work.

It doesn't matter what the measure to, but what tollerances they hold.  If the measurement is +-.1mm that is very much the same as a +-.004"  Yes there is a slight discrepency between that but the unit of measure doesn't change the object being measured.

Now tooling for 12.7mm instead of 12mm might be a non trivial cost.

It doesn't matter what the measure to, but what tollerances they hold.  If the measurement is +-.1mm that is very much the same as a +-.004"  Yes there is a slight discrepency between that but the unit of measure doesn't change the object being measured.

Now tooling for 12.7mm instead of 12mm might be a non trivial cost.

That was exactly my point, the tooling was likely 12mm, and the tolerances allowed in the contract mean that that is close enough.