Hello from Colorado

Teri

Hi!

I'm very new to woodworking.. I have a lot of ideas of things I want to build - a gaming table, some barstools, maybe a playhouse outback.  But.. I have no woodworking tools.. well, we have a drill.  I've gotten a bunch of woodworking books from the library and read through a number of them.  I'm hoping to start out with some small projects that will get me started, and I'm planning on taking a couple classes in May at our local Woodcraft store on using a table saw and a router.  There don't seem to be any other classes offered in our immediate area on woodworking though except through the store (I live in Colorado Springs).  I'm hoping to be able to take one of their other woodworking classes, but I think my husband is apprehensive on spending a lot of money on tools and classes when he's not sure I'm going to stick with it (a valid concern.. what if I start doing stuff and find out I hate it or I suck at it).  So... now that I've totally lost my train of thought.  Yes so I'm new =)  I'm a stay at home mom with twin 3 year olds who are in preschool half time (until the end of May).  Looking forward to looking through the forums and getting some advice.

Spoiler alert...you WILL suck at it at first.  Everyone does.  You'll have to keep pushing through to find out if you're any good.  Your first projects will be filled with frustration....things get easier, but it takes persistence and patience.

You've found a good resource right here.  I would start watching Marc's videos on the free site:

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/

Start at the beginning and work your way through.  If you make it all the way through you'll have a solid base of knowledge to work from.  And feel free to ask any questions you have here.  Welcome aboard. :)

As someone who is also relatively new at this ...

1) whatever you buy for tools, in principle avoid things worn out or cheap.  No sense in wasting time and wood unnecessarily.

2) don't be afraid to waste a little wood.  Make some little things to figure out the whole process.

3) don't do complicated things in the beginning.  Dovetails almost took away all my motivation.

4) plan out projects.  If it can't be put on paper it can't be done.

5) start with things that are fun.

6) if you want to get the kids into it over time there are some nifty tools for soft wood from Xacto that kids can use, with supervision of course.

• Like 1