End grain cutting board

How deep are we really talking about here? The deepest I would think a juice trough would go is 1/8", maybe a quarter Inch. I don't know about you but I would not use multiple passes. Getting a straight sided router bit to track perfectly in its own channel and not deviate at all causing wonky lines, even with a bushing is not that easy. I don't even think that cut would generate a bunch of heat and burn badly unless you just going way too slow.

Clean sharp bit, yes.

My $.02

If you have a router table, setup 2 stop blocks and plunge into the board and move it to the other stop block, rotate the board 180 degrees and do the other side. Then reposition the stop blocks for the shorter edges. 

Pro-Tip, take a piece of scrap and test it first to make sure your stop blocks are positioned right. 

If you have a router table, setup 2 stop blocks and plunge into the board and move it to the other stop block, rotate the board 180 degrees and do the other side. Then reposition the stop blocks for the shorter edges.

Pro-Tip, take a piece of scrap and test it first to make sure your stop blocks are positioned right.

Or that. for some reason, I concocted in my mind hand router.

I would use a round nosed bit or a dishing bit that has a flat bottom and rounded corners. Take light cuts and don't stop or slow down too much, just keep moving at a even speed. The last pass should be very light and will clean up any burns. Then you sand, and sand......

• Like 1

I always just used a router guide with a straight bit. Typically 1/2" to 3/4" wide and 1/4-1/2" deep. Then, round over the edges. Its something I loathe doing. It is so easy to screw up 1/64" and the whole thing to look like crap. The burn marks are impossible to sand away. I haven't experienced tear out before. Just charge your client another $20 for the groove and hopefully scare them off, or just tell them to rest their meat properly and they wont need the dang groove!