Harbor Freight 29 pc brad point bits

ColinF

I got some "acid brushes" from HF and they are okay.

With Harbor Freight I think it's a matter of buying the items that it wouldn't matter who made them (excepting slave labor, heinous working conditions, and the like).

Micro-fiber cloth, crappy disposable brushes, boxes of rags, trash can liners...stuff like that (disposables)...it's okay to go with HF.

And then there are a couple of "jewels" which you may want to try for budgetary reasons, but that seems like a craps shoot...

I got some "acid brushes" from HF and they are okay.

With Harbor Freight I think it's a matter of buying the items that it wouldn't matter who made them (excepting slave labor, heinous working conditions, and the like).

Micro-fiber cloth, crappy disposable brushes, boxes of rags, trash can liners...stuff like that (disposables)...it's okay to go with HF.

And then there are a couple of "jewels" which you may want to try for budgetary reasons, but that seems like a craps shoot...

yeah, I wouldn't buy anything my life depended on working correctly like jack stands or something that is going to kill or maim me when it breaks. I looked the 12x18 lathe over real good and it looks well made and solid, much better than the cheap tool shop one I inherited that the bed would bow on and you couldn't turn on it because when you tried to put the tool to the wood the belt just slipped.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought about 15 clamps there. F style. They are BETTER than the Irwin ones I got at Lowes. By far. They ride a little rougher when moving the thing but they actually stay when I tighten them down. I have also bought 6 pipe clamps there, and they were fantastic.

As someone else mentioned the nitrile gloves. I got a box of 9 mil, hard for me to get my hand in them but they feel very safe no matter what I'm working with.

i also bought a roller stand and the tool stand things. They required work to be ok. The tool stand I put wheels on - and the metal bent. So I put a piece of particleboard across the entire base then the wheels, now it works great.

I took my dad in there and he says their tool chests are very comparable to craftsmen or some of the other better brands (but not top brands) and thinks they were made in the same factories.

There are some good sites out there that will list off the stuff that is worth buying from there, I'd check em out.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've bought the nitrile gloves there, some clamps, a dead blow, the movers blankets, maybe a tarp or two. Recently got a mini lathe that works pretty good for what it is, but I'd never buy bits there or most power tools. Everytime I drive by, it's like seeing an accident and having to look.....

Most woodworking tools aside and if you work on cars and bikes exc. they have alot of things that will last you a long time and make it affordable for a home garage to be able to tool up...Lots of the things I would like there I wont need every day..I will be working on the wifes car this week doing lower balljoints,,RF tire rod,,break pads and rotors,split flange,,donut gasket and some body work..If I need a press to get the balljoints out I may look to HF..