Harbor Freight 29 pc brad point bits

ColinF

Well I needed a few new bits to replace a couple bent ones in my woodriver set. I looked at reviews and recommendations here and other places and was directed toward these as an economical alternative. 9C5C99F9-7524-46B0-9475-1C2959C59339.jpg

I was deceived. I wasn't real impressed with the looks of some of the brad points right out of the box. 9B3F2E49-617F-40B7-B73F-65B0B97441BF.jpg they weren't all like this, some were fine, a few small ones had no point at all. I figured for $15 if a few were off a little no big deal, so I drilled a couple holes. 56476412-51BE-45FA-A9DB-70F00B7B6A2B.jpg

2BE2E859-179B-4059-8F03-45D09D616C4D.jpg

These were in cherry. Notice the statement "perfectly round, splinter free holes"? I believe I was deceived again8F7E5BE3-B479-49ED-9F70-750B567539BD.jpg

So I tried the 3/8" bit again for a rack to spray a project on. It wouldn't even drill into plywood! I also noticed the wings were completely gone. My recommendation, buyer beware. These bits are garbage. I'd rather deal with a bit of wobble in my woodriver bits than these things!

Duh.... Harbor Freight!! It's not about the quality "you" get, it's about the money "they" get!

I was expecting that. It still hurts a little :( honestly they do have some stuff that's pretty good. I picked up 4-12" F style clamps for $4 each and they work great. I'll be back to pick up more clamps and return my crappy bits!
  • Like 1

Im glad we dont have that crap here in Canada. Thats ridiculous.

to be honest, anybody that has been to a harbor freight usually goes into it know what to expect. The first time can be pretty unnerving, but once you learn to lower your expectations, it's not as bad, but the bits are pretty ridiculous.
  • Like 1

Right angle grinder, no bells, no whistles, won't die.

Recip saw, few bells, no whistles, won't die.

Sorry about the bits.

its ok, except the wife threw the receipt away...

Seems like you either get pure junk or the thing just keeps plugging along.

Any bit can blow out the backside if you don't have something to back it up. Clamp a scrap behind the board and that will solve the problem. But it the bit won't drill into the face that's a whole different problem.

I had a backer board on when I did the trial Saturday afternoon, used the drill press, drilled 2 holes, then had to tend to other things. I got back in the shop today and decided to try them out for a little rack for putting dowels in for spraying, it wouldn't drill at all and I was putting some force on it!

Have to side with Shaffer, it is POSSIBLE to find perfectly servicable tools at a good price from HF. possible not= probable, though. I buy a lot of consumables there, and some clamps and tools. Examine VERY carefully before you check out!

But then, I recently had to return my Ridgid spindle / belt sander to big orange, costing yet another week of delivery time, because the first one just hummed when I turned it on.

Have to side with Shaffer, it is POSSIBLE to find perfectly servicable tools at a good price from HF. possible not= probable, though. I buy a lot of consumables there, and some clamps and tools. Examine VERY carefully before you check out!

But then, I recently had to return my Ridgid spindle / belt sander to big orange, costing yet another week of delivery time, because the first one just hummed when I turned it on.

well we all get a lemon from time to time, and the clamps I bought work great, I used them several times today and they were awesome, the dead blow hammer worked as expected. I have read reviews on a lot of things they sell that work good, their lathes, dust collector and things like that all get great reviews, but some of that stuff is sad! I knew I should have put them back on the shelf after I looked them over, but I figured what the heck, I just didn't know I'd only get 2 holes drilled before they gave up!

I wonder how many suppliers they put the warrior name on, I have a couple sets of their carbid tip router bits and they work excellent, other than a couple bearing failures I have no complaints at all. I tried to figure out who made them the last time harbor fright bits came up, I have to admit when I bought my last set of brad points I went with a set of rocklers that cost 70 bucks because I opened the box at harbor frieght...

• Like 1

I took a few years off from shopping there after one of their chain hoists tried to amputate my toes.  I finally went back a couple years ago because I was feeling cheap and I needed a die grinder.  I also bought a pack of work gloves while I was there.  The die grinder worked well for approximately two hours...now I can't turn it on for more than 30 seconds before it's too hot to hold.  The first pair of work gloves I used fell apart in literally five minutes.  I haven't gone back since and never will.

they keep nitrile gloves at check out, get 2 boxes do an about face, check out and go home.

The 9 mil nitrile gloves are incredibly tough, I keep a box on hand at all times. Only such gloves I've ever been able to use more than once, as stretching even th XL size over my hands usually results in rupture. Those 9 mils just keep on going.

Call her Caitlyn! LOL

PS...have you ever been to a "go-go bar" that didn't fit that description?  I haven't.  That's why I don't go to a "go-go bar."

Hmmm...  In the states, I would agree....

Think I'll quit there in case the wife is reading this thread :ph34r:

• Like 1