Bocote Box

davewyo

Shoot Dude, don't point it out and only we will know! That box looks cool. Good job!

Dave, the stsing is so faint, I'm not positive I even see it! Like Coop said, don't mention it, no one else will know.

I don't know, it looks kind of glaring to me; as if I failed to get some glue squeeze-out removed. But I don't think it's squeeze out because I made a concerted effort to remove every bit I could see.

I appreciate your opinions. As woodworkers with similar standards of "perfection", if you guys think it's trivial I'm glad to hear it.

My inclination is to leave it as is. I don't think I can clean it up without making things worse. Still it offends the eye.

Thanks Gang! I appreciate the comments and encouragement throughout the whole process.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Now the pressure is off. I have a wedding box, and the next box I make will have no deadline attached.

Working with Bocote and Lacewood is an exercise in contrasts. The Lacewood is softer and easily as porous as White Oak, if not more so. The Bocote (which my Spanish speaking friends, though unfamiliar with the word, say they would pronounce Bo-Coh-Tay) is quite dense and cuts with razor sharp edges. Nonetheless it will splinter and chip out like any hardwood and I used every trick I could think of to support and back up cross cuts. Just as an interesting curiosity; the Bocote sawdust is the color of ground cumin. Some say it has a smell of pickles but, with my distinctly sub-average sense of smell, I didn't detect any vinegar fragrance.

The wood seemed sufficiently oily to use epoxy for all gluing. Immediately prior to glue up I wiped all surfaces with Acetone, which resulted in a dramatic dark mustard-colored staining of the rag. The epoxy was ideal for the Bocote but it had a tendency to "bleed" into the pores of the Lacewood, especially on end grain.

The Bocote was understandably difficult to sand, accepted a lacquer finish well, and drilled well with little trouble with the grain grabbing your drill bit and guiding it off course. It was a pleasure to pare with a chisel when fitting the hinges.

Approximate Cost: Bocote $50, Lacewood $30, epoxy $20, hinges $30, sandpaper $20, lacquer $60 + labor