Shelf pins

trz

These are very nice and "reasonably" priced...

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40184&cat=3,43648,43649

If you wanna go full-on nutjob here are some Brussos...

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40484&cat=3,41419,41454

I really can't see paying that much for the Brussos when the first ones I posted are also machined solid brass and just as high quality, IMO...unless you really wanted that half-post profile.

I hate the L shaped pins.  They're just ugly, no other way to put it.

We had a custom entertainment center made at our previous place that used my favorite method.  There were the usual columns of pin holes, but what went there was actually a metal rod that tucked into both holes.  The shelves had a thin stopped groove on both end and slid onto the rods.  So it's fully supported front to back and completely invisible.   They were super sturdy and a very clean look.  They honestly felt like fixed shelves with only the appearance of the other holes to give it away.  I tried to find the product online since it's somewhat hard to describe but I'm not having any luck googling on my phone. 

I've used both types and prefer the L shaped ones.

The secret to keep the shelf from sliding around is to make a notch in the bottom of the shelf right where the pins are located.

Just a shallow divot with a router bit of the proper size and a little chisel work and Bob is your uncle!

Rog 

We had a custom entertainment center made at our previous place that used my favorite method.  There were the usual columns of pin holes, but what went there was actually a metal rod that tucked into both holes.  The shelves had a thin stopped groove on both end and slid onto the rods.  So it's fully supported front to back and completely invisible.   They were super sturdy and a very clean look.  They honestly felt like fixed shelves with only the appearance of the other holes to give it away.  I tried to find the product online since it's somewhat hard to describe but I'm not having any luck googling on my phone. 

This what you were talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Platte-River-12-pack-Hardware-Support/dp/B008R9KWPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1445374176&sr=1-1&keywords=concealed+shelf+pins 

• Like 1

Yes!   Thank you.    That's exactly what I mean.    Those are awesome...very solid fully supported completely invisible adjustable shelves.   Great stuff.

Those look pretty slick; gives the flexibility of adjustable shelves with the appearance of a fixed shelf. I'll have to keep those in mind for the next "shelving" project I do. I am assuming to remove them you just pull the shelf out, and that leaves the metal clip/bracket behind in the guide holes, correct?

Edited by Al Capwn
Using words is hard.

Those look pretty slick; gives the flexibility of adjustable shelves with the appearance of a fixed shelf. I'll have to keep those in mind for the next "shelving" project I do. I am assuming to remove them you just pull the shelf out, and that leaves the metal clip/bracket behind in the guide holes, correct?

yea then you just take it out and move it to another row and slide the shelf back on.  They're great!  We loved them in that entertainment center. 

I thought that was what you were refering to. Those would be nice but, I've already got 300 1/4" holes drilled!!!

whoops...too late!

Yes!   Thank you.    That's exactly what I mean.    Those are awesome...very solid fully supported completely invisible adjustable shelves.   Great stuff.

Your timing is great, because I was just looking at those for some shelving in an entertainment center I'm building.  I passed by them at first, because it didn't seem like they could be sturdy enough and my shelves need to be able to support electronic equipment, but now I may need to reconsider given your recommendation.