Upcoming sofa table build

estesbubba

The sofa table is a matching set design. It has pretty much the same construction as the coffee table. It's essentially the coffee table on  longer legs with an additional shelf towards the bottom. The other differences are the backside is not curved and there's only one drawer. Also if you saw my build video for the coffee table, I used the domino to connect the dividers. For this build, I'll be showing how to add those dividers with an integral M&T.  Let me know if you have other questions. Thanks!!

Oh yeah, and there will be an inlaid band around the top

• Like 1

I am looking forward to the guest build on this one.  I would love to see Matt joining forces with Marc in the future either in guild or more in the podcast.  For me, I like the the tree to lumber perspective being brought to the process.  I don't know if that will be part of the sofa table series, but it would be a new perspective within the guild.  

I am interested to see how the guest instructor thing works out!

• Like 1

that is a very nice coffee table he has there ... he must love him some walnut though, almost everything is walnut haha

Enough cherry went into the secretary to match the amount of walnut I've used over the past few years so there's some balance there.  Also, the wife likes walnut.

I am looking forward to the guest build on this one.  I would love to see Matt joining forces with Marc in the future either in guild or more in the podcast.  For me, I like the the tree to lumber perspective being brought to the process.  I don't know if that will be part of the sofa table series, but it would be a new perspective within the guild.  

I am interested to see how the guest instructor thing works out!

This build is going to be a little more standard "here's some boards, let's go".  I am going to be doing a farmhouse table build next and that one will be starting with a log.

I haven't watched any of your vids Matt, so after I go absorb everything you got online, I think I'll watch your guild build too. I don't think I can get any early bird thing though since I already got the gaming table/bannister case/grandfather clock package. 

Still, I am looking forward to it. 

I haven't watched any of your vids Matt, so after I go absorb everything you got online, I think I'll watch your guild build too. I don't think I can get any early bird thing though since I already got the gaming table/bannister case/grandfather clock package. 

Still, I am looking forward to it. 

Thank you, Cliff.  I hope you enjoy the videos.  I believe if you previously purchased that bundle there is a coupon code to add mine.  I'd suggest emailing Marc about that if you're interested.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I watched Matt Cremona's coffee table videos on YouTube yesterday.  Just one impression: Wow.  Nice work.  Also, I like Matt's patient, down-to-earth style.  

What I like most about teachers like Marc is that they never stop talking.  When Marc explains an action, he starts with "here's what we're doing", then "here's why we're doing it", "here's another way to do it" and finally "here's what might go wrong and how to fix that".  He never stops spilling information.  I'm watching the videos multiple times during a build - I'm not going to say that I have it memorized but I get a very thorough education.  That's a lot more in depth and educational than these TV shows where every cut is perfect every time.

Two Questions:

1. Is anyone else in the same boat as me: actively working on a build project (me: Morris chairs) and have purchased other project(s) that you plan to build (me: Malouf-style rocking chair) and buying more projects?  What I mean is that I'm so slow that I'm getting behind on these projects!
  2. Is anyone else happy to see guest speakers with different project styles?  I bought the rocking chair and I'm looking at buying the sofa table because they're beautiful pieces of furniture and I'm going to learn a lot from the builds.  I have no need/desire for either completed piece but they are beautiful.  No disrespect to the Greenes or the arts and crafts movement but it's not to my taste.  Different strokes for different folks.  I like to see the Guild incorporating other furniture styles.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I have built zero but watched everything that has been sold on dvd, plus the gaming table and roubo. And then I got the next three projects purchased. 

I'm still too new to bust out any of these projects. But I learn a great deal from watching.

If you have the Shaker table build Cliff that is a great beginner project and can be made with a minimal tool set (table saw is good for the legs but they can be made by hand too). Dive in.

40 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

If you have the Shaker table build Cliff that is a great beginner project and can be made with a minimal tool set (table saw is good for the legs but they can be made by hand too). Dive in.

That's my plan! It's got some basics I need to work on. Trying to finish the Gary Rogowski Jewelry Box first, which I may have to start over because I can't get it square. 

On 1/31/2016 at 10:49 AM, Cliff said:

I have built zero but watched everything that has been sold on dvd, plus the gaming table and roubo. And then I got the next three projects purchased. 

I'm still too new to bust out any of these projects. But I learn a great deal from watching.

Just jump in and do one of the builds!  The Roubo was, I think, the third thing I'd ever built.  Would it be a little prettier if I had waited until I had more experience?  Probably, but it came out fine and I had a lot of fun and learned a ton in the process, which has helped make everything I've made after it better.  Plus, screwing stuff up is the best way to learn what not to do.  

The shaker table is a great suggestion, but don't be afraid to tackle something more complicated either.  If there's something you want to build, just do it.  If you screw it up, you get to build another one!  Win-win.

• Like 1